Bf 109F ll/JG54 Russia 1941

bsarnoffca

Brother,

I must apologize for disagreeing with you.

The wheel opening on the -F is a circle, not as the shape on your craft.

Sincerely,

Mark

Strictly speaking that's not true. Apparently many of the early F series did indeed have squared-off wheel wells, as the design made the transition from the E model. Unfortunately I can't quote a source for this at the moment, but I've read it several times.

Kev

Generally speaking a lot of the Bf109F 2's delivered with the circular wheel-wells while the later F-4's went back the flat square outboard edge in anticipation the the gear doors that finally arrived on the Bf 109K model!

Now to mix it all up. You can find both F2's and F4's with round wheelwells.

Troy

Hmm different opinions. I believe all my info (drawings and photos) are from F4's so that's where I've been misled. I haven't seen a wheel well shot of an F2. Aircraft in this color scheme were F1's and 2's but certainly nothing later.

B-

I tried to upload some photos from a copy of Schiffer Military History Messerschmitt Bf109 F, G, & K Series by Prien & Rodeike that I have but the scans are too big and they failed to attach.

The only photo that is light enough to scan (although there are other photos, but the lower wing is very dark and probably would not scan well) of an F-2 that shows the wheel well shows the well as round.

All photos showing the wells of F-4's are round save for one. This one is an F-4 trop of 8./JG27 at El Asaba airfield in North Africa, July 1942 with squared off wheel wells. Kevin, Troy, you dogged me!

If you'd like, I can e-mail them to you. Just let me know.

Thanks for the correction.

Sincerely,

Mark