Bf 109F ll/JG54 Russia 1941

bsarnoffca

Thanks guys for the nice words. JG54 was pretty creative. I think this was the most comlicated. They actually started using it earlier when they were flying against England in 109Es. I can't figure out how this scheme was camouflage. Doesn't seem like it would blend into anything.

Hi Bsarnoffca,

The round wheelwells of some Fs could be a means to help cover them with a round plate which was fitted to the mainwheellegs. This never functioned satisfacturely. Maybe the round wells were produced for a while in anticipation of these covers and when they didn't materialize they were used in whatever productionseries.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great. Your airbrush work on the camo is perfect. I did an E with this scheme years ago but had to do it with a brush because I was sure my Paasche model H wasn't fine enough for the job and I wasn't very proficient with it at the time anyway.

Do you plan on weathering this model?

Thanks for the comments. It is a tricky scheme to paint and requires some practise with an airbrush. Brush painting would probably work fine since some of the photos, particularly the "E's" in this scheme look like they were brush painted. Yes I plan to do much weathering and staining. Next an application of Polly S flat then the weathering.