Bf 109F ll/JG54 Russia 1941

bsarnoffca

Howdy folks. My next project is a 109F starting with the Hasegawa 109G-4, using the Aries F conversion kit, a Verlinden DB601E engine and lot's of Radu's accessories. I'll post pics soon but right now I'm in dire need of pictures of an "F" firewall. Anyone out there help? Many thanks.

HI

Not a great deal around but I then found a great view in Monogram Close-Up 9 Bf 109F

post-528-1232283937.jpg

Lower picture is a great view of a US captured machine during disassembly. Upper view from production line with engine in place (obviously!)

Matt

Just found this as well.

post-528-1232284218.jpg

Looks like its very similar if not identical to the earlyG aircraft. You could use pics of the RAF museum's G-2 which are up on the 109 Lair in the walkarounds area, as there are good detail views of engine and bulkhead area. Also two walkarounds of actual 109Fs here.

Also don't forget to model the radiator flaps with the boundary layer air discharge

post-528-1232284987.jpg

Can make out in this picture that the upper radiator flap is actually a long thin outlet. Pic below should clarify.

post-528-1232285118.jpg

Again, HTH.

Matt

HI

Boundary layer air is the air close to the surface of the wing. I am not sure why the boundary air was taken in this fashion - others may know?

Do have a look at the two 109F walk arounds on the 109 Lair (not well indicated above) here's direct links:

Bf 109F-4/trop W.Nr. 10132

Bf 109F-4/trop W.Nr.31010

Theer are some very useful engine and firewall pics here.

Matt

Boundary layer air is the air close to the surface of the wing. I am not sure why the boundary air was taken in this fashion - others may know?

Actually, I would have thought interupting underwing Boundary air would affect lift.

Doesn't the Hase G-4 already have these radiators?

I think,in a nut shell,boundary layer air flow "sticks" to the surface of the airframe and disrupts and "clogs" the flow of air. So,Me 109s had a sheet metal channel through the radiators to "break" the boundary which aids in smoothing the flow of air through the radiators and jet aircraft [gas turbine engines] have splitter plates that serve the same purpose,help smooth the flow of air. For a more scientific explanation search The Googles for "boundary layer" and hit Wiki. Now,my brain hurts. I'm going for a cold beer. :rolleyes: :P RD

Thanks guys...getting a bit off topic. I'd post some images of the camouflage scheme but my scanner isn't working. It a complex, 3 color criss cross scheme that JG/54 used in 1941 on 109E's, F1 and F2's. I'll post build pics soon.