Trumpeter F-100 cockpit

Ben Brown

I bought the Aires cockpit for my Hunzilla, solely because it has canopy details, which I didn't want to scratchbuild. Unfortunately, the instrument panel isn't that good, which led me to buy Eduard's color set. I had only planned to use the instrument panel, and save most of the rest for my other Hun (future F-100C conversion), but the consoles just looked too good, so I got up my courage and cut all of the console detail off. I had to do a little trimming of the Eduard parts so they wouldn't interfere with the Aires sidewalls, and repaint all of the grey areas the correct Dark Gull Grey, but they turned out looking pretty good. I've still got a lot of detail painting to do, and this is just a test run with the instrument panel in place. Eduard provides a bazillion little knobs of various sizes, so the consoles will be 3-D. That's why I finally decided to go with them.

DSCN2477.jpg

DSCN2478.jpg

This Eduard color stuff will make you lazy! I've already opened all of the fuselage vents, corrected the tail section, and beat the engine into submission, so once the pit is done, I'll be able to button the fuselage right up.

I'll post more pics as I go. Any comments, critiques, flames, or suggestions are welcome. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Ben

Very nice Ben, be great to see more pictures. I don't have the aires cockpit yet-or the eduard set for that matter-but saw a comparison of the seats and the AMS one, which I do have looked best. Just got the Master Details F-102 afterburner can this morning, very nice, not sure what I'm going to use it on, Danish, ANG, but I'll use it some day, though my first Hun will be French, using these: http://www.kits-discount.com/new_kits/deta...en&depart=0

They also make resin wheels

Very nice Ben, be great to see more pictures. I don't have the aires cockpit yet-or the eduard set for that matter-but saw a comparison of the seats and the AMS one, which I do have looked best. Just got the Master Details F-102 afterburner can this morning, very nice, not sure what I'm going to use it on, Danish, ANG, but I'll use it some day, though my first Hun will be French, using these: http://www.kits-discount.com/new_kits/deta...en&depart=0

They also make resin wheels

Thanks for the kind words! Mine will eventually be a Georgia ANG jet (but not the one on the CAM decal sheet).

I've got the resin wheels on the way. The kit wheels are too large. The F-102 burner is really nice! I ended up using part G20 as a spacer to get the burner to stick a little farther out of the tail. Harold sent me one of his seats, and it is better than the Aires or Avionix seats.

Cheers!

Ben

Great looking pit!!! I know it is a 100c but the Warner Robbins AFM does a pretty good job. BTW I will have to look through some old pics my father shot up the AG birds when they were here at Dobbins (ATL). If you want them and I can find them........ I can shoot them over.

I finished my 100 last night. OOB. I started it well before all the "stuff" came out for it.

S!

f16006.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing with the Aires pit again. I've still got a lot of detailing and painting to do before I do any weathering. The seat is from AMS Resin, with molded-in seat belts and all of the hoses provided. It's just sitting on a block of styrene right now, because I still have to add the rollers on the back so it will hang onto the seat rails. You can see how far off Eduard was in their attempt at Dark Gull Grey if you have a look at the map case on the console at the pilot's right elbow. If I can find some decal letters to spell out "map case" I'll repaint it.

DSCN2494.jpg

DSCN2495.jpg

I hope I can get the exterior looking as good as the interior is starting to look! As usual, any comments, criticisms, flames or jokes are appreciated!

Cheers!

Ben

I hope I can get the exterior looking as good as the interior is starting to look! As usual, any comments, criticisms, flames or jokes are appreciated!

Comments: Really good job! And Eduard does some nice stuff don't they?

Criticisms: The yellow on the ejector seat handles is all wrong. B)

Flames: Looks like your dog built it. :)

Jokes: What do you call a camel with four humps? A Saudi Quattro! :P

There! You got the full deal! :lol: :lol:

It's great that Trumpeter have done the F100. That's got to be one of the coolest jets out there! Might just have to do one some day...... anyway, all kidding aside, awesome job!

• 1 month later...

Your cocpkit looks like it would work if turned on.

Very ,Very nice work!!

Did you say you used the Eduards Knobs? They look really great.

I like the Aires pit but the console control heads in the Eduards set are quite nearly perfect.

The data on the control heads adds tremendously to the final look but the lack of knobs have been my issue with them.

Keep up the excellent work and keep the pics coming.

Barry ;)