Spitfire MkXIV

Last shot for now, gotta finish my "wash" job and work on more markings. Doesn't she just smile at ya like a pretty girl?! :P All the right shapes. My next Mk.XIV will be done from the PCM Spit/resin conversion like Greg was talking about. I got "OK close" on the shapes, but hey,....can always do better, eh?! :lol: Later, Russ

post-4413-1211146259.jpg

Thanks guys, But after looking at 100's of spit pics in the last 1-1/2 months( :lol: ), this particular model just "doesn't do it for me anymore". :lol: I should have had better reference material before I started, cause now I can see my radiators are too deep, the nose profile isn't quite correct, prop blades are much too thick and slightly miss-shapen, tail wheel is a lump, wrong exhausts/wheels, .....I could go on. :( Wasn't able to use much off the Mk22/24 kit at all, and what I have used needed to be modified,(or still needs to be!) to be spot on.

Not beating myself up over this, or anything as this build has been all about "the journey" anyway. Learned all about new materials, new tools, digital photography, decal making, geography, history, technology of the times, ect. What a ride!!! Wanted to see how well I could do without any after market parts(ohhh, I wish I could start over :P ), and did OK for a squint-scale rendition....but. Can't wait to try another Griffon Spitfire, these are just gorgeous!!!! This model will be given to an aquaintance who worked for Rolls-Royce(as did his father during the war) to clear the decks for the next attempt.

Still not done learning on this beast, but I know the lines of this AC in my sleep and won't be satisfied until I get it RIGHT. Maybe that's why this hobby is so addicting? No matter how well you do, when it's done, you could have done better? :P More pics of "the journey" soon. Later, Russ

Dohhhh, Now you've done it Greg!!! "We must have it, it's our's...our's , eh precious?! :P Thanks for the link,... gears are meshing, plans are being made, visualization is taking place.

If you want/need some info on Mk.XIV's feel free to PM for email info. Got lot's to share if interested. I'm making my 3rd set of squadron markings, and have the font/size down perfect, if you'd like for me to print up a set for AP-D was it? Let me know, Ok?

Oh yeah, an RM serialed MkXIV would have the later E wing armament, which comes with the PCM MkIX! Sweet!

Russ,

Looking superb now...it has been a real blast watching you make this model, and what a superb job you have done of it :lol: :lol:.

As to the rudder tapes, one 'easy way' of portraying these at this point would be to use either apply strips of clear decal, or very thin clear self adhesive tape, then varnish over them to seal them. That way, you achieve the effect without spoiling your paint work.

Cheers

Derek

As can be seen, I've joined the 21st century and purchased a cutting pad....and a table. Whooohoo! Here's a pic of my "lightly ribbed rudder". :P Wish I had a technique to put the tapeing on the fabric, but....meh, it's a hack job.

post-4413-1211145109.jpg

Thanks for the tip Derek! I haven't posted in a few days cause I've been going to town on new techniques for washes and weathering. Got everything from artists oils, enamels, acrylics, prismacolor pencils, powdered pigments, and paint pens! What a lot of fun! :rolleyes: Haven't seen ANY pics of Mk.XIV's with exhaust stains(did they use uranium for fuel/ fastidious ground crews.....what?) I've read the average service life was 5 days, so maybe they just weren't around long enough to weather heavily? I've also decided that because this was a gas guzzler, I must have a removable underside drop tank for missions "over the continent". Thing looks like a small boat, but amazingly doesn't look too bad installed. Got that done, the cannons installed, and the weathering. Just need to perfect my decal making prowess for squadron codes. Having probs with pixillation by doing it electronically, so I have devised an alternate technique. :lol: Would have been easier just to print out the fonts, cut them out, use them as templates on some frisket paper, and airbrush them...but I want to master this new decal making technology for future builds.

Have a 3-day weekend coming up, and I hope to have this finished by the end of it. I found an old Revell Mosquito kit that has captured my attention(next GB project?, hmmm), and I can't start on it til I get this Spitfire done. ;) After weathering this Mk.XIV, I have decided it's not so bad after all, got the shapes closer than I thought. If I had post-war Belgium markings on it, the exhausts/tires would even be correct. Sooo, more progress pics of what I've been doing the last few days will be posted soon, too lazy tonight.

Later, Russ

Russ,

If you can get your hands on Robert Bracken's vol 1 and 2 of Spitfire, The Canadians, you'll find a bunch of Spitfire Mk XIV's with exhaust staining.

HTH

Brad

Ahhh, back after a short sojourn of decal-making kicks & giggles! Learning curve was kinda steep...but all in good fun. I even managed to match the ModelMasters sky color. The "gawds of irony" are howling with mirth though, cause I've decided to go with a 2nd Tactical AF scheme, and might eliminate all the sky colors on the plane! Hah! Couldn't resist making new top-wing roundels w/yellow surround while I was farting around with the squadron codes. This means my spinner will prob be black, and I "may" delete the Fighter Command sky fuse band. Don't know, as I've been constantly "repainting" digitally this scheme in a flight simulator and flying it around to check out.

Took 2 pics today with the new codes/roundels...then my camera batteries needed re-charging. Gahhh! While they're charging, I "flew" my latest paint-job around in a dog-fight w/Me-109K that I also painted. It's a great way to see what it'll look like, and lot's of fun. Won't take anymore pics until tomorrow when I"ve chipped the paint a bit. and dulled the finish down to seal the decals/weathering. Still not finished sooting it up. Here's the latest.

post-4413-1212278647.jpg

Pics aren't so hot, but batteries were gonzo. As you can see, it's morphing into a 2nd Tactical AF spit, slowly/surely. Also, finally got my cannon barrels on. (Thanks for the inspiration, Kevin!)

post-4413-1212278921.jpg

These are some of the screen-shots I took of my "digital" paint-jobs to see what a black spinner/ no sky fuse band would look like. There are no MkXIV's in this simulation, so I had to "paint" some valve covers on a MkVIII and pretend. So, yeah, I know the cannon barrels/tail-fin aren't correct but it helps me visualize.(a MkXIV would have much better altitude performance too!)

A short virtual "fur-ball" so everybody can see how my paint-job may look.

post-4413-1212279417.jpg

post-4413-1212279443.jpg

post-4413-1212279480.jpg

I had a bit of mis-fortune after finally tiring of the game, and sawing his wing off. A bit of flotsam took off my port wing-tip, and I had to punch out. Happened quite a bit in real-life from what I've read. :P Hope to have more pics of the model posted tomorrow. Gotta go chip some paint, and fire up the air brush for some exhaust stains/ panel line touch-ups and such. Almost finished with this now, just a few whip aerials/antenna and figure out how to mount my weird looking drop-tank. Later,... Russ

post-4413-1212279898.jpg

post-4413-1212279916.jpg

Well alright, I'm back with yet another version of this Mk.XIV. It has almost morphed into a 2nd TAF completely now. I have changed the serial# to RM740, and changed the squadron codes for the 4th(dohhhh!) time. Still 610sq., but I wanted Flt Lt. Tony Gaze's(he's Australian) regular mount DW-T that he scored his 10th victory in. Me-262 9K-NL of 3/KG 51. It was also 125 Wings first jet victory, and 610sq.'s 132nd and last victory of the war.(Feb. 14th, 1945) 610 sq. was dis-banded on March 3.

Finally got my W's nice and pointy in the correct font. Also discovered that the letters were a scale 20" tall,...not 24" as I previously printed them. Dohhhh! Sky fuselage band is gone now, and the spinner will be black by tonight. Just a little bit more chipped paint, and MAYBE some exhaust staining(just can't leave it well enough alone :lol: ) and I'm done painting. On vacation this week, so I'm working like a herd of turtles to get this done. Here's another walk-around.

post-4413-1212891280.jpg