Spitfire MkXIV

Can't wait to put a wash on this critter so the panel lines 'n stuff will pop out. This AC will be 601 Sq., still based in the UK around early Oct.-early Nov., so it hasn't joined 2nd Tactical AF yet, and still has the sky fuse band/spinner. Won't have the yellow surround on the wing roundel after all. 601 Sq. showed up on the continent around the 1st week of November, just in time to coincide with the intro of the FW-190D's that had been released from Me-262 airfield protection flights.

post-4413-1210558546.jpg

Hah,ha, thanks Dave,...I'm having a blast on this thing right now. Just getting to "the good part" of markings/weathering/chipped paint ,and final antenna/armament installs and such. Last parting pic of the night. Gotta go put all my Rotol propeller stencils, pitch setting markings, and what-nots on now. Hope everybody enjoys my new improved pics! :lol: More pics VERY soon. B)

post-4413-1210558878.jpg

Later, Russ

:lol: Well Kevin, I'm kinda worried that things are going a little TOO smooth! Right about now is when my new home-made decals shatter, or I get a MAJOR allergic reaction to some new clear/solvent/big weathering oops, or finger print repair that goes terribly wrong. B) Still lots of pitfalls, and minefields to tap-dance thru. Might "morph" into something else yet, depending on the volumn of the "Doaahhhh" that emits from my slack-jawed horror at DROPPING it! (shudder)

This AC will be 601 Sq., still based in the UK around early Oct.-early Nov., so it hasn't joined 2nd Tactical AF yet, and still has the sky fuse band/spinner. Won't have the yellow surround on the wing roundel after all. 601 Sq. showed up on the continent around the 1st week of November...

Did you mean 610 Squadron? Probably just a typo...601 was in Italy at the time.

Just checking.

Cheers,

Richard

Hello Loic, Are you still looking for some ammo belts? Shook out all my kits to look at what came with. I know you said you have a Spitfire Mk.22/24 kit, so I took some pics of the ammo belts in that kit (they're huge, look like 30mm ammo) and put them next to some other potential candidates. Here is the Dragon P-51 ammo belt. Nice detail, but they're a scale .50cal, and might be too small.

post-4413-1210563017.jpg

Here's the Trumpeter P-47 ammo belts, in vinyl with 8 rows of them. A little big for .50cal, but look to be almost perfect for 20mm.

post-4413-1210563291.jpg

They're flexible vinyl, and I don't ever have open gun bays on my AC, so if you're interested I could put them in an envelope and send them your way? Have to PM me with your address again, as I've lost it. Let me know OK?! Russ

Hi Russ,

I hope that Loic can make good use of them. I am now pretty desperate to get my hands on some decent belt-feed 20mm Hispano ammunition for my Tempest master pattern (I have both gun bays open, which means a minimum of four ammo belt runs - possibly eight if I am to portray them 'staggered' within the wing ammo trays!). I can't tell from the photographs which ones are most suitable, however, if you could assess them and let me know which set look to be the most accurate (and what/where it is from), I shall try and get hold of some - all advice gratefully accepted.

I'm so glad that you are enjoying this build so much - your model is looking superb already - even at this incomplete stage. It really shows off your scribing and rivetting skills very nicely indeed.

Best regards

Derek

This is such a great build! I am collecting stuff to do one of my own but I am going to base it on the new Pacific Coast Mk IX. Can anyone tell me if the Warbirds resin nose is reasonably correct? After seeing all of the work needed on the rocker cover fairings of the Mk 22/24 I am strongly considering purchasing one. However I already have the 22/24 and the Warbirds conversion is the same price as the PCM kit. I intend to build it as AP-D RM619, the box art subject for the first Academy Mk XIV release as I have a tenuous connection to that aircraft. It was later transferred to 350 (Belgian) sqdn and was shot down near Aachen on 14 January, 1945. The pilot, H. J. Smets, survived the war. He is/was the cousin of my friend Michel Tassin.

Cheers!

Greg

Hey Greg!, How fascinating...I just read in Osprey's 'Griffon Spitfire Aces' that 350 Sq. destroyed 25 vehicles on that date. Says nothing of losses, BUT!!!, 'Aircraft Profile #246', Spitfire (Griffons) Mks.XIV & XVIII describes this action for Jan. 16th in some detail!!! whoa. "Yet another loss to flak occurred on Jan. 16, when RM619 of No. 350 Sq. was lost near Aachen. The pilot bailed-out successfully behind enemy lines. This Mk.XIV had previously served with Nos. 91 and 130Sqdrs before being taken on charge on Oct. 4, 1944" Is that cool, or what?! Now we know "the rest of the story" and who the pilot was.

Mine will be 610 Sq. (sorry for the typo above, thanks Richard :P ) RB163, and it also survived to serve with the Belgian AF. Bound/determined to make my own squadron marking decals in sky color. Pushing my boundries... again, cause now I'm learning a "paint/photoshop" type program to draw them out in correct font/color. Lots of fun, actually.

But I digress; I haven't posted in awhile, so thought ya'll would like to see some pics when the Spit was in clear gloss and decaled with some stencils/national insignia.

post-4413-1211144784.jpg

As can be seen, I've joined the 21st century and purchased a cutting pad....and a table. Whooohoo! Here's a pic of my "lightly ribbed rudder". :P Wish I had a technique to put the tapeing on the fabric, but....meh, it's a hack job.

post-4413-1211145109.jpg

post-4413-1211145279.jpg

From what I can tell, the resin conversion had a better profile spinner/more refined prop blades/better engine riveting, ect. Also, using the PCM spit would eliminate having to engrave all the lines, and re-doing all the cannon bulges top/bottom off the earlier kits. Also, the PCM kit already has a recessed radiator bay. Never seen pics of the resin conversion radiators, so I don't know what they look like. Mine are slightly too "deep". Oh, well. :P Conversion also comes with an already done fin/rudder/tail wheel, which is a real time-saver. No comparison on the PCM cockpit and mine.(Hasegawa)

Kind of curious if the resin conversion comes with fish-tail exhausts and 4-spoke rims?(correct for a wartime highback MkXIV) I haven't sanded down my tires for "weight" yet, as I'm hoping to score some correct articles. OBTW, the PCM fishtail exhausts won't work as they're too small. Griffon had 30% more displacement, and they don't line up at all. Pity.

post-4413-1211145897.jpg