Spitfire MkXIV

Must.....paint.....exhaust......stains. Don't....want.....to....dohhhh.

post-4413-1212984821.jpg

That's all for now. Just have two more whip aerials, the drop tank, .......and the exhaust stains. :lol:

Russ, for your exhaust stains, give Tamiya Smoke a try. It's quite translucent, and requires a few passes to build up any discernible colour. It's excellent for nervous nellies like us, because you've got an enormous margin for error, and a great deal of control over the effect. It goes on looking quite oily too, which can work to your advantage. Because it's gloss or semi-gloss, you can mix it with some Tamiya Flat Base to get a flat effect as you're spraying (if that's what you prefer). I haven't done that though, so I don't know if it ruins the effect.

Here's an example from my Dora build:

post-3071-1212986209.jpg

Kev

Russ

Great Spit! I've been wanting to build a MkXIV for sometime; when I get to it it will be great to use your build as a guide.

With respect to exhaust stains, I've had some success using chalk pastels. Its what I used for my scratch 1/32 Whirlwind. I'm very nervous about airbrushing/painting them on as well; I was happy with what I ended up with using pastels. I also used them on my 1/32 109F. The great thing is if you dont like the results, you can wash it off. Here are some pics.

Dave/Ironman1945

post-562-1212990170.jpg

post-562-1212990181.jpg

post-562-1212990203.jpg

Awesome! All that work on the rocker covers really paid off. You've captured "the look" perfectly.

I'll chime in with (yet another) suggestion for the exhaust stains. I use Tamiya acrylics, but what I do is fill my airbrush cup about 2/3rds with pure rubbing alcohol. Then I dip a medium sized paintbrush in Tamiya NATO Black and clean it in the alcohol, followed by another brush load of Tamiya brown.

I spray this very thin mixture at about 15 psi to build up the stain. It's so thin that the stain builds gradually and any one booboo will not be visible.

IMG_1425.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Wow,wow,WOW!!! Those are some fantastic models guys! :rolleyes: Thanks for sharing, NEVER get tired of seeing the work of others! Thanks for all the advise...I need it. Very much appreciated! :D After seeing the craftsmanship of the models above,(and watching your masterpiece in progress, Jean!) I have decided to "postpone the inevitable" final finish and go on vacation! bwhhaahaa! I have toned down the chipped paint in some areas, and added in others....and I'm STILL harumphing and squinting at it deciding if it looks OK or not. Time to walk away for a few days. Still waiting for that magical moment, when I look at it, and realize there's no more to be added.....and it's done. Real close now, so I'm going to go sight-seeing for a few days and practise my photography for the final pics.(I finally got some polarized/filtered lense covers as a new learning curve project) Really humbled by all the positive feed-back, as I've been bumbling and rambling on like the village idiot all during this build. More than once, I've almost given this model to the 1st 10yr. old kid that walked by and a fistfull of fire-crackers smuggled across the border from Mexico( :lol: ), and told em...have fun! Thanks for following along and the kind comments. Next pics will be the last, as this project will be completed.(I know, I know, don't let the door hit me in the rear as I'm leaving! :P ) See ya'll this week-end when I return! Later, Russ

• 3 weeks later...

It's Done! Finally completed my 1st Spitfire model,... whew. Squeaking in on the last day wasn't how I planned it, but better late than never I guess? :ph34r: Still haven't found a way to attach the drop tank without drilling holes, so I didn't take any pics with it on. Going to miss this group-build, as I've had so much fun and met so many new helpful friends. Well, here are the last pics of my Mk.XIV, hope everyone enjoyed the ride as much as I did?!

post-4413-1214797633.jpg