Spitfire MkXIV

Okay, I'm back!...Day 20; Thanks for the compliments Jean! I've been following your Spitfire build in Members Build, and it is beyond impressive. ;) My build is only a mockery of what you have done with yours. Our builds have only one thing in common,...we're both having a lot of FUN!! :lol:

Dadgummit Loic, you're as bad as Derek! Everytime ya'll post on this thread with a new link, I end up chasing down all those new... pesky details that I didn't know I needed. :P Thanks dude, I'll check it out after I post some new pics.

Alright, speaking of pics. The engine is now mounted and I'm working on scribing the rear engine panel lines/oil/fuel filler. Ailerons are now corrected, and I've acquired some new types of putty to play with. This will be for the new cannon bulges.

Here is where I was last night. Engine smoothed in, and primered.

post-4413-1209284464.jpg

As you can see, I still needed to put the rear engine panel lines, and filler caps in front of the cockpit in. I did manage to get the main fuselage longeron scribe lines to match up with the engine panels. Can't see my new fuel tanks/fillers in the wing just inboard of the cannons too well, but they're there.

Here is the other side, didn't have to do much sanding at all. Surprised the crap outta me! I got scared and had to sit down for a minute....too overwhelmed. Darn it, can't really see my aileron mod too well. Must get better lights.

post-4413-1209284942.jpg

Last pic of the night showing the underside around the air intake/front wing root area. Couldn't get good pics of it in bare putty cause they turned out fuzzy, but here it is sanded and pretty much done. Was not fun sanding in this confined area, luckily got it pretty close the first time. Sanding this putty is like rubbing a brick with a popsicle stick. That's why I got some new stuff today in various "viscosities". I do like to slather it on! But I digress.

post-4413-1209285534.jpg

So...progress is being made. Got the engine on and faired in.(I did it Kevin! This one's for you.) The rest will be all those "pesky details". Next pics will be finishing off armament, getting it on its landing gear so I can mount the radiator flaps actuators, and a little more scribing around the rear engine area. Be back soon with more pics. Later, Russ

Hey mate,

I can only second what Kevin already said.

This really is brilliant! I can not belive how good this engine fits onto the fuselage, I am really thinking about doing this convertion myself now. I already have a Mk22/24 in the stash but need a couple of hasegawa Mk V... one for the Mk XIV and one for the bubble Mk XVI... Hummmm, better finish the Tempest first but really considering the job.

Well done again buddy!

Loic

Hey mate,

I can only second what Kevin already said.

This really is brilliant! I can not belive how good this engine fits onto the fuselage, I am really thinking about doing this convertion myself now. I already have a Mk22/24 in the stash but need a couple of hasegawa Mk V... one for the Mk XIV and one for the bubble Mk XVI... Hummmm, better finish the Tempest first but really considering the job.

Well done again buddy!

Loic

No way Loic, you've got to finish that Beaufighter first!

Kev

Okay Loic, see what you started?! If you're going to start a commotion, you'll have to go outside and play. :lol: Darned troublemaker, can't even go out in public without making a scene. whuf.

I was kinda bored watching yet more putty dry, so I decided to "air some dirty laundry". Instead of pics that only show stuff already done, I thought I'd show some actual hacking. I had to scribe my engine panels using the edge of a small diamond file because the epoxy below the seam line is as hard as glass. Also filled in the old gas cap, and added a new oil filler/gas cap location. The prominent scoop on the starboard side of the cowling is in the wrong place on the Mk.22/24, so I had to fill the indentation location and move it back and down.

post-4413-1209375319.jpg

Looks kinda messy and hacked on, eh! :unsure:

You may have noticed that I've started painting the canopy. Wanted to see how the dark green looks. You can see my new cannon bulges in the foreground(geez, they look huge cause of the lens distortion) on some scrap...ready for putty. Gives me something to hold on to. Oh wow, you can also see the new reduced span aileron too. Glad I finally got a semi-clear shot of that.

post-4413-1209375568.jpg

Hack job close-up, blemishes...warts...unsanded filler, and all. Canopy looks a lot better painted, I'm robbing a rear-view mirror off another kit. The one supplied in the kit isn't streamlined at all, looks like it came out of a car.

post-4413-1209375935.jpg

post-4413-1209376662.jpg

Last pic of the night for Day 21 of the build. Can't believe how lens flare makes it look kinda stumpy and short. It actually looks sleek and long, kinda like a Ta-152H. Next set of pics will be armament, finished cowl, and maybe landing gear mock-up. I'm getting pretty pumped up about painting this thing. Made up some late-war upper wing roundel decals(are they supposed to have a yellow outer ring, or is that optional? Seen them both ways), and making some final decisions on squadron/serial #/kill markings, ect. Osprey has a new book out on "Griffon Spitfire Aces", and it's a doozy. I now have plenty of info on color schemes, just can't decide cause they're all so cool!!!! Later, Russ