Swordfish

perry

Hi Perry

From the drawings/profiles I have, the windows are both sides.

As to what they actually allow the pilot to see ... well I don't know! :rolleyes:

The cockpit floor slopes away just aft of the rudder bars and the windows are located at the end of the sloping floor.

Hope that helps

Regards

Alan

Hiya everyone.

It was poiyned out to me that the interior was the wrong colour. Lower regions weren't green.

I've been in contact with my mate Edgar and he has explained this and why. The red dope hand painted on the outside seaped through the linen causing a pinky/reddish brown streaky look to the inside.

So, trying to correct this, I've painted the lower regions in humbrol linen and used a wash over it.

Also made the rear bulkhead and strengthened it with offcuts of the vac carrier. This will also help when I eventually come to closing the f/large up and strengthen the joint between the 2 halves.

The forward firing gun is in place, barrel drilled out and ready to be detailed. The engine is built, spark plug leads added to it and all painted, just a few more details to be added to it now.

Okeydokey, next job is to begin building the tubular frame in the cockpit areas

Erwin.

Not sure yet mate, haven't thought about it yet. I'll overcome that problem when I get to it :lol:

post-2806-1204210120.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

Work on the Swordfish has been very slow because of the lack of time on my hands. But, I have managed to do a little more and took these pics to show what I've been up to before I joined the f/large together. There are still a few details to add but they can be done after the f/l is joined up. The Vickers gun and mount are made but aren't attached and won't be till it's finished.

post-2806-1206947230.jpg

post-2806-1206947250.jpg

Only problem I found was the left section of f/l was about 4 mm longer than the right

I joined the f/l up so that the cockpit areas were aligned but this left a couple of mm each end.

I cut out the rudder halves, sanded them down and glued them together.

Then I sanded the horizontal stabilzer back till the rudder fitted and glued it in place.

The couple of spare mm at the front, I dealt with by careful trimming sanding and filling. It will be hidden under the engine cowling.

Managed to trim, fill and sand the left side of the f/l to a decent fit, all seams filled and sanded back.. The Pegasus is now in place.

Here's the latest pic, hope you approve, all comments welcome as usual.

Thanks for looking in

Pez

post-2806-1206947715.jpg

post-2806-1206947746.jpg

Thanks Larry!

But I wouldn't call myself that just yet, I have so much to learn. I would say you are a Vac Master, I am a humble Vac Apprentice !

As for your question, I will build the 1/32 vac Whirlwind next.

Cheers

P

Perry,

So you decided to go for the Swordfish in the end? - Good man (looking very good so far). As long as you are enjoying the build, then all is well. It's nice to see a large scale vacform build in progress.

Derek

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments.

Dan; the Vickers gun was donated to me from a trashed Lysander. I drilled out the grip area, drilled out the barrel, used stretched sprue for the bead and ring and added a thin strip of photo etch carrier to the top of the drum.

For the mount, I used plasti card for the base. I used an office hole punch to make the round wheels on the sides and then lengths of thin wire and tin shaped and soldered for the actual mount.