Just an update......

Jack

Looking good Jack. I love how Trumpeteer molded that front windscreen. Having the fuselage as part of the clear molding makes it so much easier to blend in clear parts.

It looks as if your P-38M is coming along quite nicely. I remember building the Monogram version of this decades ago and even that conversion was a challenge. My hat's off to you with this project. I've had enough challenges with the inflight conversion of my P-38 and I can only imagine the fit problems you have had to deal with. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this as time goes by.

Carl Smoot

Jack is that a Jerry Rutman conversion in 1/32nd scale???

Looking good!

Jon

Hi Jon (and Carl)...

The conversion isn't Rutman's, it's the Horizon vacform issue, consisting only of the two halves for the aft part of the centerpod, clear plastic part for the canopy, and vacform radarpod parts.

I understand the resin conversion should be more convenient to make the conversion, but i had this Horizon kit already for a long time, and when seeing the "M" version being built, i decided on trying this conversion on the Trump lightning.

BTW, i didn't go as far as Carl in detailing the gear bays for instance and neither any extra cockpit detailing outside the kit parts, but i had to scratch the aft cockpit with the aid of documentation.

J.

Hi Jon (and Carl)...

The conversion isn't Rutman's, it's the Horizon vacform issue, consisting only of the two halves for the aft part of the centerpod, clear plastic part for the canopy, and vacform radarpod parts.

I understand the resin conversion should be more convenient to make the conversion, but i had this Horizon kit already for a long time, and when seeing the "M" version being built, i decided on trying this conversion on the Trump lightning.

BTW, i didn't go as far as Carl in detailing the gear bays for instance and neither any extra cockpit detailing outside the kit parts, but i had to scratch the aft cockpit with the aid of documentation.

J.

Don't worry about the wheel wells Jack. It was essentially a waste of time and slowed down the project by months. My gear doors will be partially closed and the strut partially retracted so you won't be able to see much. Especially since the plane will be mounted on a pole fairly close to the wooden base. Your work lloks great and at least your making progress at a faster rate than I am. When I complete this P-38, it will be the first model I've completed (or worked on for that matter) since the winter of 2003.

I've already decided that part of my problem with detailing is that I get too impatient, primarily because it takes so long to complete a model. So from now on I will be working two projects in tandem. One will be a long term project (thinking about scratchbuilding something) and the other will be a series of quick build OOB wunderkits. This way I keep my desire to produce something satisfied and still manage to eventually produce something more involved.

I can't wait to see the kits that are being produced in this forum. Its such an inspiration to me to watch these develop.

Carl

I've already decided that part of my problem with detailing is that I get too impatient, primarily because it takes so long to complete a model. So from now on I will be working two projects in tandem. One will be a long term project (thinking about scratchbuilding something) and the other will be a series of quick build OOB wunderkits. This way I keep my desire to produce something satisfied and still manage to eventually produce something more involved.

This is exactly the pattern I've settled into, though I have to say that I don't really build them concurrently, but rather, alternately. When I get stuck or frustrated by a difficult build, I'll turn to an 'easy' one for some relief, and I often find that I'll finish that one off completely before returning to the 'major' project. I'm just finishing up a Tamiya Mustang on the way back to my Zero build. I think it's a worthy approach.

Kev

• 1 month later...

thanks guys, now it gets to the "dreaded" paintjob, first a aluminum underlayer and then the black.....

Will try going for a kind of patchwork black, mixing various shades of black, see how it turns out. :P

J. :P

side view...mind you the radar pod isn't quite finished, it needs some more attachment points and connections to the main fuselage.

Also i used the Revell props, since they look much better than the original trump version.

post-16-1201541113.jpg

Jack, Looking good! Q: Are you going to use the maskol/sponge technique pioneered by Haggo way back when, or how to do your patchy paint?

Mike, was trying to combine a couple of proven techniques and a couple of "just-wing-it" ones, but most of them will be of the maskol type.

I saw some really beat up (read: worn) pictures of the "M" version, and a factory fresh one wasn't exactly my turf.

Mind you, this came to mind remembering my inadequacies in finishing a good paint job, so, like with the Kingfisher, i hope i can produce a "more or less" realistic finish of a operational ship.

Besides, i want to experiment with different shades of black, so by adding other colours, i hope to achieve my goal.. :rolleyes:

J.

Amazing work there. It is really looking good and the sit of the model is just perfect.

Brian, i didn't do anything to the sit of the model, i was planning on extending the oleo strut to have it with a nose up stance, but decided not to in order to have a realistic tryout on how the original gear struts will hold under the extra balance weight i put into several open places in the kit....

I also have the horizon kit to build a early Lightning, so i was planning on this other one to have the nose high attitude.

So actually Trump got this one right on the lightning i guess.

J.