1/32 Hasegawa/Dragon Mustang

Ironwing

That's all pretty fantastic stuff, Geoff, not only your magic with plastic but also the charting of new modelling territory in the wheel well. The sum total of my knowledge about the P-51 would fit on the head of a pin, yet even I knew that the rear wall of the well followed the main spar, and I couldn't understand why some otherwise outstanding builds didn't reflect this feature. Like tourist, I hope you're making measurements and recording them.

Best, Jean

Hi Geoff,

I always love immersing myself in one of your model builds, except that it not really a model build as such, more of a Odyssey. Like Odysseus, you are never quite sure which island you'll land on with this build, or what challenges are to be encounted and defeated...but the odyssey continues...

Fantastic work on your undercarriage bay and main leg Geoff - all very convincing indeed. Your attention to detail is excellent, and it is that one factor that makes all of the difference between a very good model build and a completely outstanding one - your's certainly come into the latter category.

...Just don't take ten years to complete your Odyssey like Odysseus did!

Cheers

Derek

The tail feathers are about as done as they can be until the fuselage halves are joined. Ive started to work the nose and get that stuff rough fitted and ready for final fitting which must wait until the fuselage is joined for the last time.

The nose needs a bit of tweaking and filling with card stock to make it right.

Ive also been in touch with Bob from MDC about having the blades and spinner cast. Ill let you know what happens.

Hope everyone is well,

Geoff

Geoff what did you decide about casing the props and spinner ? Look forward to hear from you,as I got the trunpeter P-51 B and started doing some of the same things you have done on the D model.I am lucky that I have the Rutman resin kit as it has the wheel well seperators for the bay.Look forward to heasr from you .Ron

All,

To those of you that have looked in and commented, thank you all very much for the encouragement your comments give.

Jean makes an interesting point to which, I would like to respond. Feel free to snore. It's just me and my tendecy to pontificate.I would imagine that we all have our own reasons for doing this. Some super detail, others don't. I guess it depends on what each prefers. The Hasegawa Mustang has been available for many years and is still IMHO the best available to date. It is sufficiently accurate in overall shape and size and leaves much room for improvement. If the kit is built straight from the box, when it's done, it looks like a Mustang. For some unknown population this is sufficient. There is not a thing wrong with that. Then there are people like us that range from the sublime to the rediculous. There are some here with exceptional finishing skill, some with exceptional building skill and some that are clearly at a level most of us can only aspire to. Making corrections to kit defects just doesnt interest most, at least not on the scale that the Hasegawa Mustang requires. I believe this holds especially true when it comes to something like the wheel wells. Few ever look underneath a build to see whats been done under there. Again, then there are people like us :rolleyes:. The people here are of some different breed. This is not meant to detract from others that work in different scales or have different ideas. I've seen a number of remarkable aircraft builds in other scales. Still, those here are different. One need only visit the the P-51 SIG to begin to more concretely grasp this. They have a most remarkable insitu membership with a brain trust that is formidale when it comes to the Mustang. Yet, there is very little evidence of building. That too isn't a bad thing. These fellows are just into the Mustang. If you have a question, it's the place to go.

To more fully address Jean's point, I would think that most are collectors in one way or another of built-up aircraft or kits. Building the absolute Mustang isnt of interest, but building one is. Again, this is just fine. It is to each, what it is to each. I prefer to have fewer models which represnt the prototype as accurately as possible. Manufacturers do things for business reasons and you, the membership, know why you do it. Rebuilding the wells on the Mustang is, to some, a daunting task. It gave me no small amount of trepidation prior to beginning. That is the challenge of it. If it doesnt work, it can always be fixed or you can start again. Perhaps one can compare it to the concept of return on investment. What are we willing to invest in order to achieve what we want? I tend to invest long term in hopes that time will yield a result which is of greater value. It takes a great deal of work and many failures. Investing untold hours in the wheel wells, which will be mostly unseen, is perhaps too much investment for some. Suffice it to say, that we all do what we do because we want to. I guess you could compare it to detailing the radio compartment in a B-17. Why? :rolleyes:. Once the fuselage is closed, it's impossible to see. But, I've seen it done and the builder was quite tickled with the results even though it was completely invisible to everyone else. Strange people they are :rolleyes:. Just like the rest of us.

Hope everyone is well...

Geoff

PS,

The longerons are in. I need to take pics.

HI I have always said a modeler should build for the fun it brings. If you have the information and plans I am sure a exact model can be built if that's what the builder wants, then on the other end is the OOB builder and both have just as much fun

Texas :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Geoff,

it keeps getting better and better.

I'm stunned every time you post new pictures.

Someone should really cast your wheel well or, at least, use the measurements to produce an aftermarket set, along with the propeller and wheel gear (basically everything you do). :)

Geoff,

it keeps getting better and better.

I'm stunned every time you post new pictures.

Someone should really cast your wheel well or, at least, use the measurements to produce an aftermarket set, along with the propeller and wheel gear (basically everything you do). :rolleyes:

Here here.

I would pay for a cast of that wheel well!! And prop, and main gear.. lol

Let me know if you are going to cast them Geoff!!

Nimrod

P.S. anyone want to help Geoff cast a set up? Or at least some measurements Geoff :blink: PLEASE

The gear pins extended. The shafts will be fixed in place once everything is together.

Keep in mind that the shafts do not come straight down out of the wing. They cant forward such that they are perpendicular to the curve in the lower wing surface. It's hard to describe. I know there is a specific angular valur which is relative to something but I could tell you what.

Excellant work Geoff. The angle of the MLG from perpendicular is 11° forward

Craig

P51SIG Admin

P51SIG?