1/32 Hasegawa/Dragon Mustang

Ironwing

All,

Thanks for looking in and your kind words.

Alan,

I saw your response in my "little nuts" posting. Tried to use the URL which worked fine but the note I tried to send Jay wouldnt go through :rolleyes:

Ill try again.

Tourist,

Your note is perfectly clear about the "little rod" whatever it is. There are a couple of other things to be added. Thanks for the heads up

Carl,

Thanks for your kind words. It's been a job...

OK, lets see if we can get this done without interuption. To finish off the outer gear doors, once they have been reduced to the frame only, add new doors made from .010 card stock.

Here's what you end up with...

post-1406-1197937031.jpg

Work has started on the wings. Originally I had replaced the fuel filler caps and gun bay covers with parts scavanged from the Dragon kit. After looking at this for a bit I changed my mind and thought I would try to make new parts on my own :) . The filler caps were drilled out and replaced with ABS tube. The new inner wing skin will form the bottom of the cap opening. New caps will be detailed from rod and card stock.

The gun bay covers have had the Hasegawa originals put in to place. There isnt much for them to grab onto so they were reinforced from the back side with .040 x .040 bar stock.

At this point, the inside surface of the upper wings have been sanded smooth and await the new inner skins.

post-1406-1197937344.jpg

Something of interest, at least to me. While I was cleaning out some filler that had gotten into the aileron hinge line with my scriber, I noticed the hinge line getting deeper. I kept on running the scrber along the hinge line undercutting the wing. I have no doubt that someone if not many of you already do this. I mention in passing because it was my first experience doing this and thought it would save much work and time rather than cutting the ailerons completely away and refitting them to the wing.

It makes for a nice line, there are no alignment problems and it makes the aileron look like it's a separate piece. You can judge for yourself.

post-1406-1197937589.jpg

Chris,

I think youre right. But, Im unclear what it should look like exactly. I saw the one you posted here and the one Thiery posted on the 51 SIG. Got a pic that is more definative?

Geoff