Special Hobby 1/32 P-39

GVINCENT

Glad to hear that others share my experience with Great Models. In my opinion they are to be reviled for selling to the crowd at a trade show and neglecting their pre orders. I ordered a month and a half ago and paid by instant transfer through Pay Pal. I called this AM and they tried to assure me that those items sold at Anaheim went to those who had placed pre-orders. Give me a break please!

On the upbeat, I ordered a P-39 from Sprue Brrothers and was informed that it shipped two hours after the sale. The UPS trackers state that it should arrive tomorrow. Imagine that ! Quick professional service with an electronic smile.

I, for one, will no longer patronize Great Models and place my enthuaistic endorsement to Sprue Brothers. Caveat emptor.

I, too, have apparently fallen victim to GreatModels. Too bad as I like their product line. I have noticed their order filling process is inconsistent, to put it mildly.

I will most assuredly reconsider doing any more business with them as taking preorders, screwing those who did so and then penalizing them with back orders is a truly unsatisfactory business practice.

Tim W.

A note on GMW's sell out at the show: I don't think they got too many. Special Hobby/MPM brought them with them, a limited quantity, I think GMW only got a few there at the show. Special Hobby was busy in the corner boxing P-39 kits and X-15's and sorting out instructions. I know some didn't get instructions and were looking for them. Also, X-15's bought at the show didn't have injection molded canopies. They were not done in time so they substituted a vac and a clear resin canopy. They were charging $60 a pop for each kit also.

Lets end the Great Models bashing eh? I'm not trying to diminish whats been an unsavoury experience for some but if you've miffed/whatever please take it up with them directly...

Thanks Matt

Matt,

I was not bashing Great Models.

I really like the fact that they can get me the rare kits I cannot obtain anywhere else.

It is not their fault that they cannot get all they want from the suppliers. But I am happy with them for the few that they have obtained for me.

I have hopes they will get the rest some day.

So I am not bashing them at all.

Stephen

I picked one up at my local hobby store today. And it looks to be quite I kit. I shouldn't have done it from an economic standpoint but I couldn't resist. It looks good in the box, the PE is really nice and the decals seem to be of first rate quality. I'm sure they're going to do a P-400/P-39F/L/N soon enough and probably a Russian one as well. I just hope it builds as nice as it looks in the box. One thing though...what is it with Czech companies with the much too large boxes? Have they decided to just make one size and put everything in there regardless of scale? Oh well...the P-39 was a small airplane to begin with. Must say even I'm surprised by the relatively small size in 1/32 compared to other aircraft of the time but that's okay and correct. I'm just glad that Special Hobby is making such diverse and wonderful kits these days. Thank you to Special Hobby!

Chuck :-)

Got mine from Sprue Bros today. I'm no expert on the P-39, but from what I see in the box, based on the limited research I have done, several models of the P-39 could be built. Most apparent to me was that both types of nose wheels, both early and late, are included. If the kit had the 12-exhaust setup and the .50 cal underwing pods, I would think any version of the P-39 could be built with a little scratchbuilding and (maybe) some rescribing? It certainly looks good in the box....

There are none of the reverse nose vents, underwing .50cal gunpods or 12 stub exhausts... they would be easy to make... or to wait to see if they update the pedigree of the kit with another version... I would like to see the extra props too for the 4 bladed Q....

Cheers

Alan

For the record.

I ordered the Special Hobby 1/32 P-39 from Squadron Shop by phone (free call) on August 29.

I received it today September 7 via parcel post.

I can live with that.

Shipping was free because I ordered over $!00 total that day.

But, I did spend an extra $3 for insurance. Very important.

Enjoy. I sure am.

Stephen