1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Iain

I've been crunching numbers trying to come up with a set of drawings for my starliner and I found something you guys may or may not appreciate knowing about the vac kit. According to my calculations the wing root on the kit is about 2" further forward than it should be. The overall fuselage length is very close but the Leading Edge of the root chord is in the wrong place. This doesnt worry me much with the new 1649 wing but I know some of you perfectionists might be concerned when doing your 1049's. Please double check my math and study the drawings for yourself, I could be wrong. I can send my 1649 drawings to anyone that is interested in cross referencing.

btw, did your connie make it to Telford? I remember you wanted to take it but I havnt seen it in any of the photos yet. Just curious.

G'day Gents,

I've been lurking around LSP for quite some time and since the Connie is one of my alltime favourite airplanes this build is absofreakinglutely amazing for me. Brilliant work Iain. :clap2: So I thought it would be time to sign up for this forum.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but since some of you are looking for plans of the Connie I might be able to help. Back in '83 I wanted to build a L-1049G from scratch. Well, I never even startet... But I prepared a quite detailed 5-View drawing including several cross sections in 1/72 scale. The Outline is based on the old Heller kit and general dimensions were taken from the Lockheed drawing that RacerDave posted earlier. Lots of other information was taken from drawings provided by Lockheed and Lufthansa (long since faded away, they were the old "wet" copies some of you may remember). Also I took lots of photos of the real deal, the ex-Lufthansa L-1049G "D-ALIN" that sits in a museum in Germany. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the drawing, but still it might help in some areas.

As you can imagine, as the drawing was prepared in 83, it is the old fashioned "ink on tracing paper" type and I'm afraid I have no chance to digitize it. But I have a paper copy (A1 size) that I could send by snail mail. If anybody is interested please PM me.

Keep up the good work, guys.

Greetings from Germany

Rainer

Hi Dave,

Firstly - not hijacking thread at all - brilliant stuff - and having others having a go is great inspiration for me!!

The Lockheed drawing - I have smaller versions of those (yours is ace :)) and I've been using the dimensions from those in comparison with the Heller shapes blown up and the drawings that came with my ID kit to establish corrections - which is why I ended up extending the height of the tail fins and the span of the wings.

Wing position - yes - appears it may be a little out but that can be easily fixed when I sort out the wing spars/lower fuselage area.

Took Connie to Telford on the Sunday and the fuselage was to be seen on the stand for a few hours - I was nagged by a few people on the Saturday so brought it along the following day.

Hi Rainer,

Welcome aboard - and, yes, any help *gratefully* received. If you have a spare copy I'd love to see it. Will drop you a PM later.

All - so a 1:32 Connie Group Build? Sounds like a plan! :)

Iain

Welcome Rainer! Its probably best to send your drawing to one of the Super Connie guys. They can use more of it than I can.

I'm in for the group build! ...but doesn't that mean at least one of us needs to finish?

It seems I spoke too quickly, the fore/aft location of the wing is pretty darn close. Part of my mis-information came from a drawing of a Starliner outline overlayed on a Super silhouette ...its wrong. The good news is all of the measurements in the other drawings are proving accurate.

I noticed that the Super drawing is severely lacking on horizontal stabilizer information where the Starliner drawing is nearly overkill. Cross referencing the numbers proves the tails are identical. I will post my dimensioned 1/32 CAD drawings if anyone is interested.

Looks like Iain already has this one from the pictures but, here is the Stations Diagram for those that dont have it. Lots of interesting information in this drawing!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/chewievette/Models/Constellation/Connie20Sta20Diag.jpg

You probably noticed both Super Connie drawings that I've posted show the blunt non-radar nose. Which starts at Fuselage Station(FS) 110.2. The more common radar nose starts at FS 79.7, aka the radar nose is 30.5in longer. Both the Starliner and Super have the same Datum (FS 0.0) so its fairly easy to cross reference the two. Aircraft drawings can be confusing but they are really quite simple. I deal with these things all the time at work so I'd be glad to help anyone clear things up.

Looks great with those Starliner wing planforms!

Not using the tailplane mouldings?

Iain

I honestly havn't decided. I printed off the CAD drawings I made based on the Lockheed Drawings and cut out the cardboard planforms to see if they were matching up with pictures and other references. I have yet to actually measure the kit's tailplane parts and see if they match the drawing specs. It would be a shame to only use the fuselage moldings from the kit.

I am having trouble finding the two part expanding foam that you recommended here in the US. I have one lead, unfortunately its not really the season for boating :hmmm: Do you know which density foam you used? I am finding that the lighter ones are weaker while the stronger ones are much heavier. I would think the lightest possible would be best to avoid collapsing landing gear but I'm not sure if the lightest foam will be strong enough to be useful.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the size of this project! This thing is actually big enough that you could make it fly without too much trouble!

Edited by RacerDave

• 3 months later...

OK - with the arrival of some warmth/sunshine I've been able to get Connie outside on the patio...

Unfortunately the wings are somewhat banana shaped when viewed from the front - but I think this will all come good with some spars/internal structure - may make a start on this tomorrow.

The Skyraider engine blocks have been assembled and should make it into rubber tomorrow - pix below (am sure you can guess the other project on the go!

re2005582.JPG

re2005583.JPG

More pix tomorrow - promise!

Iain

I am having trouble finding the two part expanding foam that you recommended here in the US. I have one lead, unfortunately its not really the season for boating :hmmm: Do you know which density foam you used? I am finding that the lighter ones are weaker while the stronger ones are much heavier. I would think the lightest possible would be best to avoid collapsing landing gear but I'm not sure if the lightest foam will be strong enough to be useful.

Dave, have you tried this company? Have always been happy with their products.

http://www.smooth-on.com/Rigid-and-Flexible/c10/index.html

HTH,

D.B.

Tap Plastics is where I get mine-

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=79&

Edited by Lee White

OK - I promised more pix so here they are - and perhaps more later (working on four individual projects plus an article write up today - so please be gentle!).

Mould making in progress on the engines...

Two part mould in progress for the cylinders/blocks:

re2005586.JPG

Single part mould for reduction gearbox casing:

re2005587.JPG

First pour of rubber - need to leave 24 hrs now:

re2005594.JPG

Other engine parts will be scratch-built as they are either very difficult to cast (push rod tubes), or substantially different on the Connie (exhausts etc..)

More later - nice to be able to work outside in the sun! :)

Iain