1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Iain

Thank you very much. I've never done a vac-form before, so I didn't know if that was standard practice for these kits or not. Either way, it looks like a great build, and it will sure be impressive when it's all done, doubt you'll ever see another one on the contest tables. :speak_cool:

Matt

Not necessarily standard practice - but a very good idea on a project like this one.

With vacs this size you need to think about building in a structure to support the airframe - as I go that structure will become more apparent :)

Iain

Makes perfect sense, and I'm sure it gives it much more stability and weight to carry around. It seems like a vac-form of that size would be bulky, but still really light without the extra support, so I can see why you'd do the foam. I had just never seen that, so I was wondering if it was normal practice or not.

Matt

OK - change of plan today - wanted to start correcting the wings - for span and nacelle spacing.

re2005232.JPG

First step was to remove the nacelle fairings - each one was a slightly different shape and not a constant fairing into the wing mouldings. Decided to be brave and remove completely so that the wings could be made perfectly smooth and constant section - before going back at some point to the fairings and reshaping before re-fitting. Sounds extreme, but hopefully will make sense.

re2005238.JPG

Ooops - and the wings are un-equal at the roots!

re2005239.JPG

Upper wings - nacelle fairings removed.

re2005240.JPG

Wings marked up (very carefully) and a plan concocted. Will get upper sections sorted first - then worry about undersides which will also need flap areas cutting out. The areas where fairings removed squared off to make it easier to fill the hole with plastic sheet.

re2005241.JPG

Just working out how much the wings need extending - verdict a nice round 25mm.

re2005242.JPG

Wing leading edge extended the 25mm with section separated along a line parallel with the leading edge that results in a nice square elongated opening where the nacelle fairing was.

re2005243.JPG

Both wings extended and drying before I blank off the gaps from behind with more plastic sheet.

More soon...

Iain

Iain,

While I did not have the R-3350 manual in my library, I did find this one available at a far cheaper price than anywhere else:

http://www.flight-manuals.com/cyclone-sm.html

Regards,

Iain,

what are you going to do for engines? Did any of the measurements or pictures I sent you years ago from the RobinsAFB Museum do you any good?

Bruce Radebaugh

It's definately real - been lurking in the loft far too long - started her in 1999!! :)

Will be a US Navy EC-121K Warning Star in the Grey/White/International Orange scheme...

Heaven knows when I'll get her finished...

Iain

I'm surprised you started in 99. Has it really been that long? I thought you first started hacking plastic with the posts on 32SIG and the foam resin pour episode and the power sander escapades? I was sure that was back around 2006 or so. I must be getting old fast that I thought.

Anyway, its nice to see you back in harness on this one Iain, she's going to be a beauty when completed.

Sabre

Ian, I am not sure why I am so interested in this build. I think I am the only person on the planet who is not fussed on the Connie!

BUT this must be good to have captured my attention like it has.

I am really enjoying each update and it is a pleasure to see it being done to such a high standard. True modelling and hugely inspiring indeed. Is the image at the bottom of your posts how you plan on finishing her? I hope so, its an awesome scheme!

Great stuff!!

Cheers

Anthony

Hi all - apologies - away at an aerobatics competition ATM ( not competing - yet! ) - so no prog on airframe this week.

On mobile in hotel - so abbreviated post - but:

Scheme will be more or less as per sig block image. :)

Engines - thanks for link to manuals - also some airframe manuals on there - purchae about to be made :)

Engines - will make pattern to cast from resin - unless ZM have a few spare test shot 'raider engines ;)

Was definitely 99 I started - and posted on SIG site!

Hopefully more next week - but thanks all for posting/showing interest - really helps!

Iain

Hi all - apologies - away at an aerobatics competition ATM ( not competing - yet! ) - so no prog on airframe this week.

On mobile in hotel - so abbreviated post - but:

Scheme will be more or less as per sig block image. :)

Engines - thanks for link to manuals - also some airframe manuals on there - purchae about to be made :)

Engines - will make pattern to cast from resin - unless ZM have a few spare test shot 'raider engines ;)

Was definitely 99 I started - and posted on SIG site!

Hopefully more next week - but thanks all for posting/showing interest - really helps!

Iain

Iain,

since I want to do a 1/32 B-29...if you can get an engine, I'll cast them for you.

Bruce