"Dai Banana!"- Pacific Coast Models Macchi 202 Folgore

bdthoresen

• 1 month later...

Gregory-

Not a whole lot. I had started painting, when I noticed that the prop spinner was way off. When you spun the prop, it would wobble against the nose of the aircraft. I took out a square, and measured the prop shaft, and it was sqaured up just fine in the spinner. I took a close look at the nose, and noticed I somehow managed to screw up the nose by filing when I fitted the lower nose piece. It is about 1 to 2 degrees off. So, out came the stripper, and the Milliput, and I have begun the huge task of trying to salvage the squareness of the nose. I have attempted three times, and failed all three. I am in the process of the fourth attempt, and it is going slow. But, to tell you the truth, I have had enough of this kit for awhile. It has fought me like no other, and I am a bit fed up. So, right now, she is back in the box and staying there for awhile- I do not know when I will get back to it, but, at this point I am in the frame of mind that I do not care- Just really frustrated with it.

Thanks for your interest- I hope this topic is still around when I decide to get back to it. :P Its gonna be awhile-

Take care-

THOR :)

Thanks Brian- I do appreciate it. I am currently trying to devise a tool that will help with my nose issue. It might not be as bad as I thought!!!!

Time for a bit of Yank ingenuity......Macguyver stuff............

More to follow.........

THOR :lol:

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys- Quick update-

I have finished moving, and I managed to correct the nose profile issue on the Macchi. It took four attempts, but, came out in the end. I have also re-shafted the spinner, and it is much better as far as fit to the fuselage. Now all that is left is to touch up the scribing on the nose where I repaired it.

Also- I have started to scratchbuild new landing gear struts for it. The reasons behind it, are 1) I was not happy with the kit gear, 2) They are out-of-round, and the forks do not fit over the wheels- So I am making a set from Brass and aluminum. They are coming along.

Anyway- I will post some pictures when I can- My Sony camera died, and I am trying to figure out how to photo things with my wife's Nikon- Not going so good at the moment.

Pretty close to the second attempt the the painting. I will be glad to get back to that stage of the build-

Just wanted to say thanks for the encouragement and suggestions- Look for more soon!

THOR :D

• 10 months later...

Howdy guys! Just when you thought you were rid of me, I return! And with a very small update. Man this topic sure was buried! Anyway, the Macchi saga continues, but I am quite happy at this point so I thought I would share my progress. Many of you following this thread remember where I left off, and that was the shape of the nose profile being all wrong. I had managed to make the nose front skewed when I had filed down Pac models resin lower cowl, causing the propeller to rotate in a very odd direction (read WOBBLY) when it was rotated. I noticed the error on my first attempt at painting, and stripped the model down to fix the issue. It took four attempts to correct with Milliput, but I finally managed to get the nosetrue and matched with the prop spinner. Then, I noticed a bunch of other issues when I got my glasses six months ago- It turned out my eyes were really bad, and my rescribing job was crap. I also really saw that the panel lines in my example of the kit were inconsistent. So, frustrated, I put it back in the box. Fast forward to last week-

I was clearing out my model closet, and I noticed the box. I had forgotten about it- I pulled it out, and decided that I had to finish her up (That and the wife told me I should not buy anymore kits until I finish something!) So, over the last week, I completely rescribed the airframe, filled about forty boo-boo's (Man my eyes were bad) and rescribed again. Today, I started prep and paint! Whoooohooooo!

I only have the model's underside preshaded, and I have the white rear fuselage band area sprayed white, as well as the spinner half. After it dries, I will start the underside spraying in the morning. I will post some pictures after I am done spraying the underside.

Anyway, thanks to the few of you that have consistently emailed me with support on the Macchi over the last six months.....(You know who you are!) Look for photos tomorrow!!!!!

Thanks All-

THOR :wub:

Well guys, here she is as of about a hour ago- I ended up putting a Gunship Grey shadow coat over the whole model, instead of trying to preshade the individual panel lines with black. I felt that this would not only help check the recent sanding work, but also be much less stark of a contrast to the color coats to follow. I have painted the fuselage band with a 60/40 mix of model Master Flat white enamel and laquer thinner, as well as the spinner front and the prop tips. I will be using a mix of colors for the underside and top side base coats, and somewhat "mottling" them in together to arrive at a weathered shade I am happy with. Many of you may remember the excellent demonstration that Fanch used a few months ago when painting his Dauntless of this technique- I just wanted to prove that i am still going with it!

THOR :rolleyes:

post-719-1237745907.jpg

Another shot from a different angle- One thing I do like about the Pacific Coast instructions is that they give you a nice cross reference chart on the paint colors with different manufacturers of hobby paints. Still waiting for the white to dry enough to apply my Tamiya tape over the band, then I will continue- Thanks for looking, and happy modeling!

THOR :rolleyes:

post-719-1237746336.jpg

Hello All- Back with more- I have painted the underside of the main wing and horizontal stabilizer, trying to get ready for the top-side camo- Anyway, I started out with a Gunship grey base coat for shadow- I then mottled the underside panels with Model master Light Aircraft Grey, which PCM lists as the underside color on their conversion chart- Once that was done, I used model Master Master's Italian blue grey, mixed 50% with white, and mottled/marbled the panels some more- The last step was to make a shader coat of straight Italian Blue Grey, mixed 30/70 with lacquer thinner- This was misted in over the previous coats in streaks to acheive the final coloring- I took some more pictures, but the subtle contrasting does not completely show up- but, this is as good as I can show with my limited skills in photography- As always, comments or questions welcome-

THOR :)

post-719-1237757547.jpg