"Dai Banana!"- Pacific Coast Models Macchi 202 Folgore

bdthoresen

Thor,

How's the painting coming along?I'm looking forward to seeing the Macchi C 202 completed.In fact following your thread has got me bitten by the RA bug.If I keep up buying PCM's 1/32 kit SWMBO ( She Who Must Be Obeyed) informs me I should at least be a part owner in PCM.Specking of PCM I hope they come out with a Reggiane RE 2000 someday,soon too.Anyway great work, well done.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

P.S

My wife is very supportive of my hobby actually,but I could not help myself when I referred to her as SWMBO.Of course I have no knowledge of this post if she should happen to read it.

Spads-

She is coming along- I will post progress pics this weekend- Thanks for the interest. I have written PAC Models looking for a replacement canopy set, but, I still have not heard- I might have to adapt the canopies from the 21st century kit if I get into a pinch. I am still working on the fiddly bits, and it is coming along. The airframe is almost totally complete. The landing gear still needs some detailing, and the paint has been obtained. I still have to attach the radiator and oil cooler permanently. but, its looking good. Thanks Again-

THOR :ph34r:

Spads-

She is coming along- I will post progress pics this weekend- Thanks for the interest. I have written PAC Models looking for a replacement canopy set, but, I still have not heard- I might have to adapt the canopies from the 21st century kit if I get into a pinch. I am still working on the fiddly bits, and it is coming along. The airframe is almost totally complete. The landing gear still needs some detailing, and the paint has been obtained. I still have to attach the radiator and oil cooler permanently. but, its looking good. Thanks Again-

THOR :rolleyes:

Thor,

I read in a review that the 21c canopy works best if you use it as a form to vacuform a new canopy. As per Tom Cleaver's review post on Modeling Madness, concerning 21C's MC 202 detailed using PCM parts.I suppose you could also heat stretch over the canopy too if you don't have a vacuform machine. Details of the canopy's frame may be alittle soft though,but it wouldn't be too dificult to build up the framing with Evergreen strips if need be.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thor,

How's the Macchi C 202 coming. I'm dying to see the finished article.I've just got around to starting my PCM C202 and your thread has and will be a gold mine.Anyway fantastic work ,looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Regards

Gregory Jouette

Gregory-

Thanks for the interest. I hope this build-up article will be of help to those who are holding off building this kit. I am currently finishing up the gear and doors right now. I have recieved the clear parts from Pac Models, and can now finish up the cockpit elements I was holding off on- Here is a brief summary off what I have left before paint- Remember that most of these items are small- but there a quite a bit of them....

Fuselage-

-Nose gun cowl needs finish scribing-

-Still need to develop a prop mount of some kind since I used the 21st Century spinner and prop (I liked the shape better)

-Fill a seam at the supercharger intake, add p.e. shudder

-Finish p.e. reinforcement plates on wing roots

-Add gunsight glass

-Add headrest armour/paint

-Mask Canopies

-touch up a few scribing errors

Wings-

-Add p.e. control surface hinges

-Rescribe a few lines underside

-Add wingtip formation/position lights

TAIL-

-add p.e hinges

-Drill mount for tail wheel

Misc-

-Install oil cooler/paint

-Install radiator/paint

And then I can paint the bugger!!!!!!! I hope to have most of this accomplished this weekend- I will of course post pictures when I am close to completion. Thanks Again for the interest- I do not have a lot of time to model right now, as in the middle of finishing college, testing for my A&P, and working full time. But I will finish the bugger- I promise!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Hey All- Did not want to let this topic fade into oblivion! I am still working on the Macchi- I figured I would try and update you with the progress of what has been going on- I have managed to finish the supercharger intake, seam and shutter- I have also fixed the miscast oil cooler roof, and assembled and installed it. I still need to fix the seam around it, as it is really huge. Milliput here for sure. I have also installed the radiators, and the radiator housing. Needs a bit of seam work here as well. I have the gear cleaned up, and the wheels are a bit to wide for the strut forks. I think I will have to file down the hubs, and fashion a through axle like Alan did on his fantastic Re 2005 build. I also think I will have to scratch some retraction cylinders for the gear, cause the kit ones are soft, bent, and almost impossible to clean up to standard! I have also installed all of the photo-etch aileron and flap hinges, as well as the wing root reinforcement strips. I am inching closer to primer, and I do not have very much left........Here is a summary-

-Still have to rescribe the hinges and cowl seams on the lower nose. I also have to scribe a few lines in the horizontal stabilizers, and add the three p.e. hinges to the upper half of each. I also have to fill and rescribe three lines on the leading edge of each wing due to some misalignment during assembly.

-I also have to add the gunsight glass, mask the canopies and paint and install the headrest armor.

-I have to drill the tail whell mount

-Add the p.e. parts to the gear doors and fix the fit of prop shaft- I somehow cocked it up at the back plate.

Prime! Prime! Prime!

I will post some pictures of this beast sometime today. She atleast looks like a Macchi now. I will say I love this airplane- But this has been the hardest build I have ever undertaken. It is strange, as I have had a couple of guys I know build the same kit, and had nowhere near the problems I did! On the flip-side though, One guy has been building a Hasegawa 109G-6 for two years now, and continually has been having problems!!!!! Guess it goes to show, no two modellers are alike!!!!!!

See ya soon! Hope you all had a great holiday!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Guys- Finally got around to a photo update! The holidays are over, the digital camera is fixed, and the kid is back in school- No excuses! Back to full steam ahead on the Macchi. The first pic here shows the supercharger intake installed on the fuselage- I finally got the shutter positioned better in the scoop, and have completed the seam work. The coating is Mr. Surfacer 1000 brushed on as I final check. I had filled the seams with white glue, and smoothed it out while wet with a wet Q-Tip- It took a couple of applications, but it came out ok in the end. Much better than the first time around! :ph34r:

post-719-1200849575.jpg

A shot of the oil cooler assembly. This was one of the more difficult aspects of the kit. The opening provided in the resin lower nose insert was far too big for the actual cooler, and this was compounded by my filing efforts earlier on. I decided to assemble it, and used Milliput crammed into the side and end gaps to fill it. I then sculpted it down wet to smooth it. I finish sanded it, and coated it with Mr. Surfacer......Might need to do a bit more cleanup after the first primer coat soon, but, well cross that bridge when we come to it I think! Gonna be a bit tricky to paint assembled, but, I think it can be done. I also had to heat smash a new oil cooler interior roof, as the casting in my kit was bad........That is why I had to completely assemble it before I installed it.... :angry:

post-719-1200849826.jpg

The radiator assembly- The fit here was pretty good- The kit gives you a couple of styrene radiator pieces, over which p.e. faces are glued. The cooling flap in the back is styrene as well, and is a bit thick- I did not notice it soon enough, so mine will have to stay as is. The fit to the airframe was good- Small gaps were filled with super glue. I still need to add the shutter vane in the front, but, I will paint it first......

post-719-1200850160.jpg

And here is the madness of the tiny p.e. control surface hinge plates- I used Future to glue these down, and after they were dry, I sealed them with Future. After the second coat was dry, I smoothed the Future with steel wool- Nice effect, but a bit tiring to say the least!!!!

post-719-1200850374.jpg

Some overall shots- Got the windshield glued on, and the fit was crap! I had to shim it, fill the seams with cyano, and them a smear of putty. Finally added Mr. Surfacer 1000, and away we go- It will be polished further after final priming......

post-719-1200850623.jpg