Lacquer Paint Retarder

Gents:

Has anyone used Mr. Hobby lacquer paint retarder?  Is it any good?  What is the ratio of paint to retarder?

Thanks.

Regards,

George

I didn’t even know they made a lacquer retarder!

I use Mr Hobby lacquer on many modern jet subjects but thinned possibly 60/ 40 Mr hobby levelling thinner to paint

if you get a response to this and find the retarder makes a difference I’d really be interested 

51 minutes ago, chrish said:

I didn’t even know they made a lacquer retarder!

I use Mr Hobby lacquer on many modern jet subjects but thinned possibly 60/ 40 Mr hobby levelling thinner to paint

if you get a response to this and find the retarder makes a difference I’d really be interested 

I suspect it's more or less the same as leveling thinner, but don't know that for sure. A have used acrylic retarder before (on Tamiya acrylics) and it seems to do a similar job, but I've not yet tried the lacquer stuff.

I use the Mr Color leveling thinner with all gloss coats. I use their regular thinner with any flat paint. I thin about 60% thinner 40% paint and get really good results. Some people thin more but I like the results I get now.

In the automotive paint world, they use "reducer" to slow or speed up the curing process of paints - fast reducer speeds it up, for use in cold conditions, and slow reducer slows it down for hotter temperatures. They also make "slow" thinners for lacquer paints, such as this - https://tcpglobal.com/products/rsp-lt85-qt?currency=USD&stkn=ea543c203691&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9vqyBhCKARIsAIIcLMFVj4H-Y3FD-L2H-NIC5qLxwy2WKHoQFQxNpfEo9FgnsuThq5k_kSAaAqsUEALw_wcB

I have used these on cars before with excellent results, but I have never tried it with model paints. However, lacquer is pretty much lacquer, so it might be worth some experimentation if you're curious. Check with your local autobody supply store.

One warning, if you slow lacquer down too much, it might give it more time to react with the plastic and potentially damage it, but if it's done right, it should result in excellent adhesion. Some tests would be in order before trying it on a model!! If you try it, tell the rest of us how it goes. 

Tim

I’ll second what Tim said and add be very careful using a slow thinner for clear coats.  If it sits wet on the paint too long it will allow any weathering effects you have done to “puddle up” and float within the clear.  
Being an old paint and bodyman I poured on the clear before decaling a project hoping for a good slick surface for decals.  All of the dark base (I tried the black basing technique) rose up through the light gray top coat and puddled in my panel lines.  Now granted, it was a happy little mistake that made the plane look better.  But it could have been bad on something different.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2024 at 10:30 PM, RichSpreier said:

I use the Mr Color leveling thinner with all gloss coats. I use their regular thinner with any flat paint. I thin about 60% thinner 40% paint and get really good results. Some people thin more but I like the results I get now.

Leveling Thinner works great.  Createx Reducer 4005 works well to clean brushes and airbrushes.  It doesn't smell funny. :-)

On 6/12/2024 at 12:03 AM, scvrobeson said:

I've used a few drops of it on top of Leveling Thinner when I'm working on something really tight and detailed, just to fight tip dry

Matt 

Tip dry is something I have never had in what, 8 years, of spraying MRP lacquers exclusively. 

2 minutes ago, BarryWilliams said:

Tip dry is something I have never had in what, 8 years, of spraying MRP lacquers exclusively. 

I've had it on occasion, but the conditions I'm spraying in may be quite a bit hotter than most builders

Matt 

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

I've had it on occasion, but the conditions I'm spraying in may be quite a bit hotter than most builders

Matt 

Wow then water based acrylics must be a massive problem where you are.  

There never can be accounting for all extremes.