Mystery wrapped in a conundrum - correct brown for Apache Saraf....

Hello:

Currently at the painting stage for Meng Apache Saraf and tearing my hair out trying to select the correct brown. I bought MRP FS30219 ("SEA brown"), but when sprayed on, seems waaay too pink/red (might look OK for a Nam Phantom?):

3sh4xGI.jpg

Here are three browns I have (see pic below):

Left - MiG Ammo fs30219 - seems too light

Middle - MRP fs30219 - too pink/red

Right - Tamiya Flat Earth (X-52), seems closest, if lightened a bit?

3FJUPHz.jpg

Any insight or suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Thanks!

47 minutes ago, Grunticus said:

I think MRP looks all right, especially after a dullcoat? Tamiya X52 I would say no.

7ghjfIc.png

I agree with you I'd go with the MRP. Dull coat it and then take it out in sunlight[ it makes a difference] . I'd say it'll be VERY close. Oh and when you take it outside ,view it from a distance say 2-3 feet then see what'ja got.

Man, color is hard! I hate this part - committing to one, especially if it turns out to be wrong (has happened to me before). Getting the MRP out of my awful workbench fluorescent lighting and outside probably would help, but dunno - it still looks too pink and garish.

I sprayed the Tamiya over it, looks pretty close? Especially if I lighten it when weathering....

r2yMvcB.jpg

1 hour ago, Porkbits said:

Man, color is hard! I hate this part - committing to one, especially if it turns out to be wrong (has happened to me before). Getting the MRP out of my awful workbench fluorescent lighting and outside probably would help, but dunno - it still looks too pink and garish.

I sprayed the Tamiya over it, looks pretty close? Especially if I lighten it when weathering....

r2yMvcB.jpg

That does look close! You're right colors can be hard  to get just right ,for a variety of reasons[ been there, done that but don't have the T shirt] . I'd say just get it in close and don't get TOO hung up on it . There's differences on the real deal but all are very close .

1 hour ago, Grunticus said:

And keep in mind there's a difference between a freshly painted one and the same one two years later. As Ivan says, no need to get too hung up about it.

Good advice, thanks. I'll lighten up the brown just a little. I don't think the Tamiya is an exact match and the MRP is definitely too red/pink, but yeah, no need to obsess lol. 

I wonder if the Gunze 310 would be correct, since that's used mostly for Israeli schemes. I think the Tamiya with a bit of weathering will be closest for you with some weathering 

Matt 

I didn't like the tone of MRP SEA Brown at all. I went with MrColor in the end and it was a much better fit. Looking at your references I think it'd be the same for you as well.