Recommended Ju88/188 books?

I'm looking for recommendations of books for the Ju88 and Ju188. And more specifically the Ju88G-6. I'm looking at Pastor John's Ju88G-6 and Ju188E/F conversion sets. I do have a couple of Revell Ju88 kits.

Thanks

Dave

Difficult to recommend a single one! Moreover, this also depends on what you are looking for: color schemes, radar versions, interior, etc. Most Ju88 books only have a section dedicated to the nighfighters versions and this also covers the C/R early ones. So you will just get some relevant pages.

At least you can get the Classic Ju88 vol 3 from Crecy. It is specifically dedicated to destroyers and nightfighters versions. The Kagero vol 15 and Waldemar Trojca Ju88 vol 2 are also dedicated to such versions. Various books about the Luftwaffe nighfighters have good sections about the G6.

HTH

Thierry

Actually the best source about the Ju188 is the electronic files given by John with the assembly instructions pdf files! They cover technical manuals, wartime pictures and so on. However, there are still gaps. For instance my 188 is intended to be an antiship plane with radar and torpedoes. Alas, when you are entering into the grey zone of a minor version of a plane for which no airframe has been preserved, you are seeing the problems coming...:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Trak-Tor said:

I can just point out this one:

valiant-wings.co.uk - Airframe & Miniature No.23: The Junkers Ju 88 Part 1: V1 to A-17 plus B-series

Part 2 should be out soon (May-June).

I'm no expert on the topic though.

Juraj

Hi. That one is only about the early bomber versions. I guess there will be another one in the future that will cover the nightfighters.

I have both of the Squadron/Signal Ju88 books.  They may not be available any longer but I believe the 2nd volume deals with the night fighters and was, if I may be so bold, pretty well done and covers the C through the G-10 variants.

j361YcQ.jpg

Edited by Juggernut

29 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

I have both of the Squadron/Signal Ju88 books.  They may not be available any longer but I believe the 2nd volume deals with the night fighters and was, if I may be so bold, pretty well done and covers the C through the G-10 variants.

j361YcQ.jpg

You're right! I forgot that one!

3 hours ago, Juggernut said:

j361YcQ.jpg

Not to mention the completely wonderful Don Greer cover. He was such a great artist, one of the best, in my humble opinion.

31 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Not to mention the completely wonderful Don Greer cover. He was such a great artist, one of the best, in my humble opinion.

Indeed! To me he was terrible when he was trying to draw human beings but his planes were simply ... alive!

6 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Indeed! To me he was terrible when he was trying to draw human beings but his plane were simply ... alive!

I have much the same issue. I can draw pretty much anything in AutoCAD, but if I try to sketch a person, it ends up looking like a stick figure drawn by a four year old.

Thanks, guys! I'll check them out. And yes, the Squadron book(s) do have some useful information. I have both.

I have to make up my mind which versions I want to build. I have both and A-1 and an A-4 kits and I don't want to just build the straight bomber versions.

Of course, the G-1 or 388 conversions aren't exactly uninteresting either.:rolleyes:

21 hours ago, Juggernut said:

j361YcQ.jpg

These two really helped me get my head around all the variants and the sun-variants.  They are still available but one must search. 

On 4/30/2024 at 2:32 PM, thierry laurent said:

Hi. That one is only about the early bomber versions. I guess there will be another one in the future that will cover the nightfighters.

Yes, part 2 is coming, as I've mentioned. And it's on their site as well:

The Junkers Ju 88 Part 2 will cover the Ju 88C through to the T-series and is due to be published in the 2nd quarter of 2024.