Trumpy JU87R

karimb

Hi guys,

Having received 'the' box of aftermarket goodies beginning of this week and having finished working on the F16 CG i built, i decided to plunge straight away in this kit...

I had been waiting ten days to receive by courier all the stuff from eduard....now i have 5 kits in the stash fully loaded with big eds and resin so we can start working on those. Credit goes to John (aka mywifehatesmodels) for really inspiring me with his ju88 anton build and since i had the 87R in the stash and the am stuff for it, i thought why not give it a shot. Im sure my end result will pale in comparison with all the hard work he put into his stuka but at least his anton wont end up 'lonely' lol :rofl:

I wont go as in depth in the build as he did, correcting all the deficiencies that come in the trumpeter kit, but ill do my best to make it look like a stuka proper with some good detailing and weathering. I still havent decided wether to give her the Mediterranean camo scheme or the green mottled scheme yet, as there are alot of splinter camos out there and id like mine to look a bit different... Everyone out there, your input during this build will be crucial so please go ahead and point out the stuff you notice that i might have skipped...or stuff i can correct without massive major 'cast a mold for resin' type of rectification lol :P  :lol: 

This wip will be slow and steady to start out, since my daughter is coming over tomorrow from my ex to spend three days and its her birthday on monday wooohooo lol  :clap2:. After that we'll get her firing on all cylinders lol and ill go back to the 'whole day' building pace. Theres a massive cold front moving in over the weekend, so when im not going to be out ill put in some time at the bench...already did this afternoon and evening...so here goes the progress so far...

For the kit the aftermarket stuff we'll be using is:

Eduard set for the interior, Eduard set for the harnesses and the Eduard canopy masks (which i bought on a whim, to say i tried them out at least lol)

Anyways some photos of the box, the am stuff, and the view out of the window next to the workbench (pretty inspiring lol before the storm)

IMG_20141121_143312_zps7d80d134.jpg

IMG_20141121_143704_zps0facf85a.jpg

IMG_20141121_144143_zps51ab4d9d.jpg

IMG_20141121_161656_zps6959a89c.jpg

The eduard interior set has two coloured frets and one 'box' sized fret of brass sandwiched inside the manual. I reprinted the manual from their website in pdf format since the one you get in the eduard package is in black and white and you cant really make out the color coding on it to know where to sand or cut parts off...

The detail on the colored etch parts is really breathtaking... i'll post a photo of part of the IP below

IMG_20141121_144107_zpsce8735c4.jpg

My God how things have evolved in the past 5 years lol...let alone when i was a kid and used to build the revell kits lol (i sound older than i am though  :P )

I started working on the kit in the afternoon. The build as per instructions start with the engine and cowling etc. I left this part out (and the interior which is going to take the biggest chunk of work) for later and skipped in the instruction to somewhere i could start actually building something as a subassembly and leaving it on the side for later. Ill try to work on this kit in subassemblies in order to fit 'building' and 'family' together smoothly for the next couple of days...

The wing assembly is pretty straightforward. The wing is separated in three sections, a middle section that has the anhedral and wings that join that section via two reinforcement parts to give the outside of those the correct dihedral...

The reinforcement tabs have a good fit and so does the outer 'wings' to the inner wing parts. The outer wings are composed of two parts that form the bulk and two tiny parts that are the wing edges. In between the two parts you have the housing of the machine guns with panels that can be opened in the top wing to display the mg areas. If im not mistaken the 87R had no machine guns mounted inside the wing root so i opted to leave those undisturbed (if i am wrong i can always go back and fix this somehow... ^_^ )... anyways got those assembled and joined the three wing parts together. Ended up with a gap running down the wing to wing joint (John had a similar problem) so to the rescue came stretched sprue and putty. I let that all dry and sanded the gaps away making sure to leave the bulged rib the runs down the joint (youll see in the photo)... once the wings were attached, its got a pretty big wingspan  :D

I also tinkered a bit with the engine. John suggested in his build to kindof leave the engine bare, just have enough of it to have the prop attached to it and have the engine cowlings attached. i think his approach is the right one unless you want to have the cowlings off and displaying the engine which is not going to be my case. Going through the instructions carefully i think the only couple of parts you can see once the cowling is closed is the radiator at the bottom and some sort of meshed intake on top, so ill work on those tomorrow and assemble what i need from the engine and see if we can manage to close that up. From what i foresee the biggest amount of work is going to be the cockpit with all the etch thats going to go there, and with the painted etch we're going to have to do things in steps in order to get everything painted in order and fit in properly... The kit in itself has a relatively low part count i think around 300 and that counting all the little bomblets and racks...

Anyways, some photos below, and ill be off for tonight. Ill update you guys tomorrow evening on whatever work i was able to put into this build tomorrow...

IMG_20141121_155640_zps3522af5a.jpg

IMG_20141121_155621_zps6f4f2b73.jpg

Below the stretched sprue technique of filling gaps (im sure all you guys out there know/use it. If someone wants clarifications about it just let me know ill be glad to explain and its very easy to do)

IMG_20141121_180015_zps9075dfea.jpg

Wings puttied, the masking tape around the joints is for me not to sand down some detail there inadvertently

IMG_20141121_181222_zps24652ef1.jpg

IMG_20141121_193423_zps8a0bda92.jpg

two more shots during the sanding process... below a photo of the 'bulge' that runs down the wing at the joint. it should be there so sand accordingly to shape

IMG_20141121_193414_zps0c643aae.jpg

IMG_20141121_193732_zpsa7e950a8.jpg

And one side with the sanding almost done... Im sure more sanding will be required once we get a coat of primer on and we can see better the ares that need a rework. We'll just leave it to that today...

Well thats it for now gals and guys...

Tomorrow is another day. Ill update you in the pm with what work i managed to squeeze in...

Till then stay safe and happy modeling

Karim

Nice project Karim! Is it done yet?

Kev

Kev, you made me laugh  :lol:

I aint that quick lol hehehehe

This one is going to go at a slower pace i guess

Thanks for dropping in as always  :clap2:

Karim

*EDIT* just counted them, i put in a total of 14 peices on this kit today  :P and it took me all afternoon for a change lol

Edited by karimb

STUKAS FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!   :evil_laugh:  :lol:

Great work so far, Karim! You are already well on your way, for sure.

Funny how far aftermarket stuff has come in the last several years, isn't it? That looks like one of Eduard's better sets, too. It should really make a huge improvement over the kit instrument panel. I wish they had one for the 87A (now that I did it, they should release it next week. LOL). Also, their mask sets are usually pretty good and even if you have to do some of your own masking, the positive lines on these kits' canopy parts make it much easier.

Go get 'em! :thumbsup:

John

Hi everyone

Managed to get a good amount of work in this kit today. I picked up my daughter early, her cousin came over and my parents were home so the little one got a full busy day playing around the house. The weather outside was really bad, to the extent i had to take a photo to show you guys lol... anyways lets get this ball rolling...

First to start, i would like to thank John (mywifehatesmodels) for pointing me in the right direction regarding reference material for this build - John hadnt it been for you i would have remained clueless to alot of things regarding the 87R so thank you again :bow: 

I managed to have access to two publications ( yes ;) ). Im using squadron/signal publication #73, and Airdoc ADC005. Before going through them to be honest i didnt really know all the little intricacies that make the 87R different from the A or the B so that was an education for me. I was able to find some of the little discrepancies in the kit  (hopefully), some i have been able to attend to today.

Most of the morning till lunchtime was spent working on the engine and filling and sanding the cowling. I have followed John's advice on his anton build and only built the required parts of the engine that will be visible once the cowling is closed. I have also prepared for everyone an annotated picture of the engine assembly with the parts used and the parts ommited. I hope it will be clear enough at the size the image is. The engine assembly in itself went pretty smooth the engine has got some nice details moulded in, in case someone wanted to build her with the engine cowling off im sure the engine could be pretty well spruced up... one thing i didnt work out yet is if the kit engine is a jumo 210 or a jumo 211 but thats just me being curious  ^_^

The parts that go on the top of the cowling from the inside (the airscoop inlet) are a bit fiddly and i'll post a photo to point out the part. I dry fitted the fuselage halves just to get the alignment of the firewall to the fuselage correct, before closing the cowling and gluing the firewall to the sides of the panel. The radiator is nicely done with a nice etched grill and the fit of the radiator to the engine/cowling assembly is pretty solid. For the filling and sanding i used stretched sprue and tamiya basic filler, i then rescribed and reriveted the sanded areas (best as i could lol, lame try on the rivets though  :P )

IMG_20141122_112024_zps5a21dcca.jpg

I didnt bother filling and sanding the ejection pinmarks on the back of the firewall as those will be covered!

IMG_20141122_114012_zps705a525a.jpg

IMG_20141122_121122_zps9e569964.jpg

The seams you end up with are not massive but i wanted to get a good clean look to the cowling since it will be buttonned up and i find the nose of the stukas to be a point of focusing when you look at the model

IMG_20141122_133413_zpsd75aa3c8.jpg

And the end product reriveted and rescribed

IMG_20141122_170638_zps0be2ec3c.jpg

IMG_20141122_170659_zpsfb693bbc.jpg

IMG_20141122_150152_zps03b003de.jpg

Im pretty happy they got the top part of the cowling correct. The inlet of the airscoop has the correct right side long fillet and the short left side fillet, you can see that in the picture above. Also, the supercharger air intake is correct and correctly shaped on the right side along with the 'ejector' exhausts...

Having finished the engine i moved on to the bits i was able to finish and get out of the way so i built the rudder which shape is correct too (mk1 eyeball, so measuring against plans here). I built the prop and spinner (the prop blades look a bit short to me, come to think about it i think they are inaccurate in some respects but i have no plans to compare the kit one to so i left them the way they are).The rudder is made up of two parts. Continued and built the two horizontal stabilizers. Here too the kit got it right with the streamlined edge tips rather than the flat face tips of the A2s and early B1s. The horiz stabs assys are made of two part elevators and two part main horiz stabs, along with two control linkage rods and the tip. The nice bit is they have notches that would interlock once you set both of the stabs into the fuselage so you get them parallel. After that i had enough parts to mockup the fuselage ,wings, rudder and stabs. Pictures below

IMG_20141122_130550_zpsa29d8d0f.jpg

IMG_20141122_131028_zpsbfda7069.jpg

The kit is pretty big once you blutack the parts together...and it looks like a stuka lol :clap2:  :clap2:

I almost forgot, ill post a photo of the storm before continuing the post below lol  :blink:

IMG_20141122_132748_zps4822bcc9.jpg

Sorry everyone, i forgot to post the photo of the engine parts i omitted, the annotated one so here goes, and we'll continue with the post

IMG_20141122_170435_zps497a2080.jpg

Okay so moving on, i went on comparing the reference materials with what i had in hand. It turns out the under fuselage bomb rack provided by the kit (to me at least) doesnt look very correct. The one supplied with the kit is supposed to be for the Ju87D, the 87R basically being a 87B version with extra fuel plumbing and mountings for the underwing fuel tanks, is supposed to have the same bomb rack that the 87B has (simple deduction but i might be wrong there so if anyone knows anything about this let me know please  :thumbsup:)...anyways i took a screen capture to illustrate what i am saying

IMG_20141122_152322_zps4fa143be.png

I decided to modify the kit part to look like the bomb rack of the 87R by cutting the curved part and using 1mm thick brass rod to do the 'star' pattern on the bomb rack of the 87B. I set all of that with some ca glue and then filled the sides to blend in the top rod with the side of rack ( will be clearer in the photos)

IMG_20141122_170147_zps4900a8fa.jpg

IMG_20141122_170251_zpsd0c88d51.jpg

IMG_20141122_191534_zps38de8708.jpg  IMG_20141122_194310_zps8ac8fdb4.jpg

Well that pretty much it for today's work  :whistle:  :thumbsup:

I also built myself a micro chisel from an old flathead screwdriver for use in removing details from the sidewalls for the coming photoetch... i really enjoyed seeing sparks fly when i grinded the screwdriver head against the powertool lol :coolio:

Also last photo for all the scratchbuilders out there... if i had the skillsets i would definitely think about building this ( Ju87D3 with the wing pods-photo below)... i might even consider trying the project some time in the future, if you guys are willing to help me out... ill have to look see if there are any photos floating around the net to keep for later if the idea ever materializes ( :doh:  )

IMG_20141122_152747_zps343d9d27.png

FANTASTIC lol...

Tomorrow ill start going through all the paperwork for the eduard photoetch kit see what needs to be painted first, sanded down etc and take notes...we'll see how it will all go. Weather is supposed to be as crappy as today so probably will stay home most of the day !?!

Thank you everyone for checking in, your comments good and bad are always highly appreciated gals and guys  :innocent:  :bow:  :clap2:

Till tomorrow then,

Stay safe and happy modeling

Karim

Edited by karimb

Hi everyone...

Its not going to be a long post tonight... it rained all afternoon so i managed to get some work done on the etch...God. Either tis stuff is really small or theres something wrong with my eyes lol... But i managed to get alot of it done. The Eduard interior kit is f a n t a s t i c! lol

One nag i have about the eduard kit is the instructions. You get the black and white instruction sheet and it just doesnt cut it, so i went to the eduard website downloaded the pdf instruction and printed those on A4 paper in colour and voila! now you have clear instructions. Another little nag is that sometimes in the ed instructions you dont really see properly how to bend in shape the part or how to place them correctly but that was easily solved with good reference... I sanded down all the parts that had to be sanded and placed 80% of the brass non coloured etch where it should be. The coloured etch i will place after priming and painting the parts already done (that will be tomorrow morning, since tomorrow is my daughter's 2 year birthday and i have prepared a party for her in the afternoon  :wub:  :wub: )... I will also be adding all the extra wiring for the radio stack and the sides, before priming. One point of interest is i found the two proper photoetch radio 'boxes' not to fit in the radio rack as they were too big - i suspect my foldings to be the culprit but im not sure. i ended up sanding the corners a bit until the radio boxes fit. I also have opted not to use the photoetch seat as the seat rails i found were very fragile (besides they cannot be seen after mounting the seat) and the pe seat looked anorexic so i used the plain old kit one and modified it a bit. I still havent figured out how to add padding as i ran out of epoxy sculpt (im still mentally discussing whether blutack primed and painted would hold and not flake when dry ?) we'll find a solution in time. I also have opted out from putting some of the little etch switches as some of them zinged away once cut off the fret, and the others i couldnt find let alone hold with the tweezers, so youll have to excuse me lol ... I dryfit the sidewalls to the cockpit floor and im sad to say not alot will be visible but we'll see after the painting stage is done. Im probably going to use a lightened rlm02 for the top part of the sidewalls to make it all lighter...i dont want it to end up like the black hole of Calcutta, stuffed and dark  :rofl:

Anyways thats pretty much it, so pictures below

IMG_20141123_110938_zps955e00a4.jpg  IMG_20141123_141344_zps16491955.jpg

Above the rudder assembly and one of the two chart/paperwork holders

IMG_20141123_155714_zpsbffbc2de.jpg  IMG_20141123_155722_zps57bef1a0.jpg

Above the radio 'boxes' minus the coloured PE faces (the dusty stuff inside the boxes is the residue from the sanding of the PE boxes. Will be washed before priming) and the backside of the cockpit with the ammo racks and some sort of big box, which i suppose is for the spent cartridges  :hmmm:

And below the mockup of the sidewalls+floor 

IMG_20141123_163709_zpsd1486b1e.jpg

IMG_20141123_182225_zps72e50ec3.jpg

Oh yea and this small box is made up of 5 parts...i swear i thought i was going to go blind doing this one lol

IMG_20141123_140213_zpsb9e44ca0.jpg

Thats pretty much it for today folks... hopefully tomorrow will go according to plan and we'll get some primer and paint on so we can start attaching the coloured etch...and then there will be the other eduard kit, the harnesses, to attend to...

Kev i found two other photos of the D3, basically it was the only stuff i managed to find...I already looked up the D variant and hasegawa does one so there goes one step closer to dementia lol

Ju97-D3-With-Personnel-Pods-4_zpsa79da15

ju97-d3-with-personnel-pods-1_zps311205f

Ah one more thing...i thought about soldering some of the etch for added strenght as i do this something with the armour kits, like the fenders and whatnot... what do you think? i finished building the biggest parts with CA and i can say im pretty happy with the custom CA applicator i built, its very precise lol (sewing needle eye cut and stuck in a chopstick lol). I just dont like how sometimes some of the parts leave like a 'seam'. Do you guys use another technique than CA or soldering? your input is always very appreciated, along with your comments good and bad...

Well, off i go for today i guess...

Till tomorrow's update, 

Karim

Hi everyone....

Sorry didnt get a chance to post yesterday. My daughter Zoe's 2 year birthday was a resounding success and thats what mattered most to me :wub:  :wub: we had a blast all day and tons of presents...

To remain in the festive mood after dropping her off at her mother, i went to the lhs and splurged on new kits lol. Ill be moving to my new homebase to fly out of there end january, so i have time to butcher as many kits as i can until that deadline...Im going to miss my daughter and family once i go there, but all the sacrifices are for the little one....anyways got to keep a positive outlook on things  :thumbsup: ... i bought the trumpy intruder and the TBM3 which was the first kit my dad built for me when i was a kid. i remember it had an electric motor that spinned the prop and it had an 'inflight' base. I wonder what kit brand it was, my friend said maybe matchbox. it was pretty small compared to the kits we build so im thinking 1/48 or 1/72...any clues guys? anyways, and i got the squadron walkaround for the phabulous phantom for the next 'big' wip i will be doing once im done with this one proper...

IMG_20141125_161021_zps98eb9e31.jpg

Anyways wont digress from the wip subject anymore lol.

The night i did my last post, i went back and added wiring. just couldnt get to sleep the wiring kept me thinking so i digged out some photos from the refs on the wiring in the cockpit and for the radio stacks...now i got a bit perplexed some of the 87s have quite visible oxygen piping, but all the ones i could see with the o2 piping were 87Ds, to be honest i wasnt really sure of any 87B/87R pictures that showed the oxygen hose/piping so i opted to leave it out. Did add some random wiring to the sidewalls, stuff that would make sense, and to the radios as close as i could to references. I also managed to stumble upon Thierry Laurent's Ju87b2 tweak list  :doh: (thank you Thierry for taking the time to do all those tweak lists btw...your efforts are really appreciated) and once you get to read about the stuff that is inaccurate in the kit, you slap yourself lol...sometimes ignorance is really bliss. Now knowing about the stuff that needs to be fixed, and not fixing said things, makes me feel like a lazy slob... i want us to enjoy doing this kit, plus ive had enough headaches with the quantity of photoetch i had to handle so we'll proceed as if i hadnt read the list lol (i already fixed some of the stuff i could fix  :innocent: )

So anyways below a photo of the wiring added ( i used braided copper wire and soldering wires of .8/.5/.6mm diameter

IMG_20141123_214321_zpsbb44a844.jpg

The following day, before we started the 'celebrations', i managed to get the cockpit primed. After that i sprayed a coat of GSI Mr super metallic titanium as an undercoat (because it tends to look flat and has a certain beige tint to it) then a layer of hairspray for the chipping, then on top of that i painted tamiya RLM grey, which is the equivalent of rlm02 (another thing i wasnt able to put my finger on was when the cockpits of the ju87s changed from rlm02 to rlm66.i couldnt find this ANYWHERE, a date or period. Trumpeter hedged their bets 50/50 in the instructions, with the sidewalls rlm02 and the floor rlm66 :rofl: )and then lightened up the rlm02 with some buff and sprayed here and there on the upper parts of the sidewalls and the crash rollover structure. When all was well dried up, went through the regular chipping process. i want this cockpit to look tired and used hard, but still not overdone. you'll tell me at the bottom of these two posts what you think (you guys have been awefully silent lol  :shrug: )

Below some photos of the primed, painted, chipped parts

IMG_20141124_133338_zps8142f94c.jpg

IMG_20141124_124926_zps46790f2b.jpg

At this stage, the wiring doesnt really show but i was happy with the paintjob and the chipping. Nothing really shows well in these photos but all will come out better once i got them painted...

I left the kit at that stage and partied with my daughter lol...

After she went to sleep in the evening i went back to the kit lol and put all the coloured photoetch on... I was a bit disappointed that in my hurry in the morning i forgot to match the rlm02 grey of the photoetch to the paint hue i used. Well live and learn i guess. i thought about blending everything in with a filter but then decided against it as im not sure what the eduard coloured etch is made from paintwise and i dont want to end up messing them up with the turps i use for the filters... (actually i dont know if they used rlm02 or rlm66 for the etch parts... ive just noticed in the photo below it looks more 'black' than greenish grey)

IMG_20141124_200549_zps32169111.jpg

And that was it for yesterday...not much done. The self adhesive etch i found was a mixed bag regarding the 'adhesion' capabilities. You get two frets of self adhesive kind and one had unglued from its backing and i had to ca the parts, the other was okay i guess. you need to apply pressure for a bit and it sticks pretty well i guess...

Today was a different story lol, i managed to put in much more work on the kit, after dropping Zoe off and raiding the hobby shop  :whistle: ...

One thing i managed to notice this morning, The trumpeter instructions dont mention anywhere the MG wing leading edge  covers (the bulbous looking covers on the leading edge) and all the 87Bs, hence the 87Rs, have them... after thinking how to scratch build those, i decided to take a closer look at the sprue that had the wings (more out of despair than curiosity lol :lol: ) and found them there...theyre not called out for in the instructions, but guys theyre there  :D ... Photo of them below, i forgot the sprue letter, but the numbers are visible, its the same sprue that has the wings halves

IMG_20141124_102947_zps97d7950d.jpg

In the photo i had already snipped two of them off, they come in halves but the fit is pretty good. i just had to sand the seam well ill see tomorrow once i prime the wings how they turned out... business as usual...

After that i went back finished whatever left from the coloured photoetch i had to do, and started painting the details in the cockpit. The wiring and the such. Some of the wiring colour i chose out of artistic interest not accuracy...nothing fancy there, i did the wiring for the radios in yellow lol just to break up the monotonous shades in the cockpit tub...

Putting everything aside to dry i tried to find a way to replace apoxy sculpt with something else, as i ran out of sculpting putty for the front seat padding... i remembered i had some stuff i used for armor dioramas, called MR Clay...i think its made by gunze and another company, or made by another company and endorsed by gunze ?! anyways its pretty good... it dries hard and doesnt flake and thats what i was looking for...it doesnt shrink nor flake, and its pretty maleable and sculptable, and dries pretty quick... Opened up the baggie it comes in and took a small piece out of the 'brick size' package you get... made an okay looking backpad out of it...below photos of the product and the seat padding unpainted

IMG_20141125_101200_zps5ecae2db.jpg

IMG_20141125_102344_zps3cf5bca3.jpg

I let that dry for a bit attending to some ancillaries for the cockpit, then pushed on started work on the eduard harnesses kit... good god those parts are tiny...and fiddly...and easily lost... My carpet monster had a field day today and yesterday... i managed to get some of the stuff back from his evil clutch, but he has been pretty voracious lately  :BANGHEAD2: 

Got those done, meanwhile the padding was rock hard, i painted it a mix of gloss brown and orange...the colour will be flattened out with the application of oils for the weathering of the cockpit, and added the etch harnesses to the pilot and gunner seats... The quality of the etch is fantastic and so is the texture by the way...

IMG_20141125_184702_zps800edb93.jpg  IMG_20141125_184717_zpse92ce69d.jpg

Front and back of the seat...i think it came out pretty well... you can notice the texture on the photoetch parts on the second photo...really looks like fabric  :D  :D

For the first picture i had actually already done the weathering with the oils on the seat, you can notice it on the seat pan and the padding, and on the second photo you can see the weathering on the side of the seat...now, i didnt weather the seatbelts as again i didnt know what to expect from having turps on the colour etch ... ill try on spare colour etch parts so i know for the future what the interaction will be between the products... Ah, actually i just noticed...drat and double drat lol, on the first picture i must have had an etch part zing off the left harness right below the buckle. the said piece is on the right shoulder harness below the adjusting buckle but not on the left...oh well.nevermind  ;)

After that, basically i wanted to push on and get the cockpit closed up today...so post below is some photos of the progress... :clap2:

Wow, huge update Karim! Really good progress too, and some outstanding work. As to your question about a motorized Avenger, 1/72 is too small for that, and Matchbox never had an Avenger in their range anyway. I'd be guessing Monogram or (more likely) Lindbergh.

Oh, and happy birthday to Zoe too!

Kev

For the cockpit basically, i used a dark brown wash and oils for the weathering... 

The wash is vandyke brown mixed with burnt umber and white spirit ( i used to buy the AK washes before, but im starting to do some of my own for colour variations i dont really find readily available...still buy the AK ones theyre fantastic by the way)... I used for the oil weathering Dark grey for the fading, old rust for a brick red hue, ochre, very light gray for some highlights and brown for some grime... some streaking and some fading were applied to the cockpit to tie it up together. I decided against using a filter on the cockpit this time... Below the photos of the end result, in no particular order... i hope you guys like it, since at the time of writing this i already closed it up (shame you dont see much after youve closed the sidewalls up...the consolation is at least we know whats in there lol)

IMG_20141125_164404_zpsf9313f14.jpg

IMG_20141125_184732_zpsf7ccd647.jpg

IMG_20141125_184902_zpsaa301195.jpg

IMG_20141125_184924_zpsf09ea725.jpg

IMG_20141125_184933_zpsba99836d.jpg

IMG_20141125_185141_zps688f3ac1.jpg

IMG_20141125_185515_zpscb651abb.jpg

IMG_20141125_185524_zps6dbd3e09.jpg

IMG_20141125_185559_zps0ea81957.jpg

IMG_20141125_185606_zps56ff30d9.jpg

I find the result is pretty nice...looks the part. old and having been through some hard use...

I let it all dry and breathe a bit, then i dryfit the fuselage halves and see if the ip could be slid in like the instructions call for, no luck there (im glad i dryfit before closing her up) so what i did was glue the IP and coaming to one half of the fuse then closed her up. The fit was overall good... theres a seam at places on the bottom and top of the fuselage joint but i think this is because of the way the parts are connected to the sprue (i dont know how to explain, instead of the part to sprue connection being on the outer surface of the part, its on the actual joining surface of the part so snipping i find it harder and the cleanup also, and you always end up with little gaps to fill when you glue the parts...)

Cockpit sandwiched securely i glued the wings on to the fuselage...to my surprise, the wing to fuselage joint on the top part wasnt as bad as i thought it would be seam wise... the aft part on the bottom received the usual stretched sprue and putty treatment, and the fore part too... i puttied her up where needed, cleaned up my work bench and called it a day. By the time im up tomorrow the putty will have dried and ill see where there is some shrinkage to reputty and start with the sanding and rescribing.. I think this build is moving along nicely. First time takes me three days for a cockpit, but hey, its a two seater  :rofl:

Anyways, the plan for tomorrow is to sand, rescribe, reputty etc until the surface is smooth enough and no seams left... we'll see how much we can push on

By the way, two more quick things i wanted to mention...

First thing is the kit doesnt have any swastikas provided with the decals (?!?!) so after rummaging in the spare box, and finding stuff i had completely forgotten about lol, i did find two. But they are from a bf109 kit, thankfully in 1/32. I dont know if they will look too small on the tail, we'll see. I called a buddy to see if he had any in his spares but turned out he has many in 48th  <_<  <_<

Second thing is i wanted to modify the fuselage like John did on his anton build, to have the first aid kit showing under a transparent panel in the port side behind the cockpit...but i just didnt. I thought about using acetate sheet for the plexi panel but i had run out... instead of buying kits, i should buy stuff i need next time at the hobby shop  :doh:  :doh:  :fight:

Ill update you guys tomorrow evening on what we were able to cover during the day

Your comments are always appreciated and valuable to me, be they good or bad...

Till then, 

Karim

Wow, huge update Karim! Really good progress too, and some outstanding work. As to your question about a motorized Avenger, 1/72 is too small for that, and Matchbox never had an Avenger in their range anyway. I'd be guessing Monogram or (more likely) Lindbergh.

Oh, and happy birthday to Zoe too!

Kev

Kev thank you so much for your kind wishes on Zoe's birthday   :bow:  :thumbsup:

The TBM might have been a 48th then ...i though maybe revell but i have no clue... 

Its always a pleasure to have you drop by Kev, thanks again

Karim 

Edited by karimb