1/32nd Spitfire mk 22/24

crobinsonh

Whilst my Lightning T5 build is stalled (http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=34720&st=0&p=323253entry323253) as I do not have any reference for the rear cockpit bulkhead and will now have to wait until August 6th until I do a fast taxi in the Cranfield T5 I have moved onto the old Matchbox Spitfire Mk22/24.

This is a kit I have wanted to do for a long time but just required too much effort in getting the Warbirds nose (correct contours) to fit the Matchbox fuselage (incorrect contours) - then Iconicair came to the rescue, Whilst this is not as accurate IMHO as the Warbirds conversion it is a lot easier to use as it fits as a drop in replacement for the Matchbox parts.

I have been working on this for about a week as I have been suffering with jet lag and waking up regularly at 3-4:00am in the morning. I therefore spent a lot of that time sanding away inaccurate detail, sanding trenchlines and sanding more detail away.

Here is where I have gotten to...

Overallcontents.jpg

IconicairGriffonCowling.jpg

Griffonbulges.jpg

GriffinCowlingBumpissue.jpg

Heavycockpitdetails.jpg

TrenchlinesWing.jpg

Wingsshowingmuchreducedsanding.jpg

SpifireWingsandingandaileronremoved.jpg

Edited by crobinsonh

Cool! I've got this kit too (though in a really old and decrepit Matchbox box), and will be looking to get the Iconicair cowling for it too. I'll be following this one with great interest, as you're certainly off to a terrific start!

Kev

Beware of the wingroot fairings, which are too wide, at the trailing edge, by 3/16" (4.76mm) or a scale 6". All Spitfire fairings measured around 28" along the metal (not straight across the curve,) at that point, and Matchbox's set are equal to 34". I suspect that they (somehow) got late Seafire drawings mixed in with their Spitfire drawings; the clue is in the "short" radiator fairings, which match those of the Seafire 47, which had broader-chord flaps than all of the other Marks. I only have an illustration to go on (the only genuine 47 is in America, somewhere,) which appears to show that the fairings were made wider, so that, when RATO was fitted, it was angled wider, so as to miss the wider tailplane. The front, and the narrowest, points of the fairings are fine.

Edgar

• 1 year later...

Good looking work on a nifty old(er) kit! I've got a bagged one of these at home and I'll be following your build closely so that I can get mine up to snuff when it's time to start it.

Later,

Lee