Albatros D.Va - 1/32 by Wingnut Wings & HGW

elmarriachi

The interior after full painting with oil colors and polished metal parts. The seatbelts come from HGW, made of fabric and PE parts.

Looking much better then the PE parts from the kit, but the work is very, very "funny" :) 

The displays received some "glass" made of Crystal Clear, the rest is all painted with oil colors.

heg9n3bislm.jpg

4vk57zzi3wv.jpg

8nrg4mzjr95c.jpg

u6a9guvvlzae.jpg

And the interior testfitted in the hull. Goes together very well. Seems that no putty will be necessary here! 

apqn74clprey.jpg

The finished engine. Added some wiring and some tape, painted, weathered with oil color washed, dry brushing and pigments on it. Leaked oil will follow.

czswputnefg9.jpg

fh4n84xzjt2z.jpg

Next step.... finishing interior and adding the rigging inside. Also the fuel tank, ammo-boxes follow before putting together the hull-halfes.

Cheers

Michael

The two halfes of the fuselage where glued together, little putty, little bit of sanding, then primer with a light brown / beige airbrushed over it.

Then I tried the wooden decals from HGW for the very first time, cut out the panels and put all of them on the fuselage.

After some time of drying I added a layer of clear coat to protect the decals, then added the nails (decals) from HGW. 

The protection foil on these decals damaged the wooden decals under it, I do not know why.... So I will have to do some repairings as next steps.

qtldwzzda3.jpg

fhl4xszkugi.jpg

uuq7fu74ustx.jpg

Next steps: Repairing of the wooden decals, then clear coat, then oil colour for the final finish.

Cheers 

Michael

The hull received a layer of clear coat to secure the decals before the next steps. 

Then - oil color (burned umbra) was applied with a brush panel by panel and worked in with a cotton stick.

olwkvz5y6vvd.jpg

rku8bn3u9etj.jpg

nfea6opmq3bf.jpg

2wh9pawbgjmz.jpg

automtpem3pn.jpg

Next step - a layer of clear coat to secure the oil colours, then the details will be brush painted (grey-green) and the decals and markings will be applied.

Cheers

Michael

Guest Peterpools

Michael

Very nice work on the wood grain decals and nails. Any idea what caused the problem?

Keep 'em cominmg

Peter

The wooden effect is finished! 

After the dark brown (burned umbra) oil color is worked on the decals, a layer of clear coat is added to protect the colors. Then the details were painted - grey/green at the front and small details, black at the back of the fuselage.

Then all the Decals were added and a further layer of matt coat added, then a cloudy layer of glossy clear coat sprayed over.

The rear wings painted white, masked and painted black. The details on it follow later with Tamiya Smoke.

6ae92tjpatvi.jpg

77oi4p5beuk.jpg

iq4srcrbyblk.jpg

axcte2linpnh.jpg

Next steps: Painting of wings, guns, small parts on the fuselage.

Cheers

Michael

Guest Peterpools

Michael

Beautiful work on the fuselage. Wood panels look are wonderfully weathered and look perfect.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Very nice,  I am following with interest as I am building the same kit with the same wood decals.  The more I am reading about them the more nervous I am getting about how difficult they appear to be to use. They are strange, when mine arrived and I opened them I thought they forgot to include the decal sheet! The way it's printed makes them look like an image of the decal sheet printed on thin card board. 

Hi Ron,

cut it a little bit bigger then you need, apply it on the fuselage and cut it with a brand new sharp knife... and change the blade after a few ones, otherwise you damage the decals :) 
But finally.. its not so had then it sounds :)  :) 
BR
Michael

Wonderful work Michael......................I too have the DV in the stash with some wooden decals. They are not the HGW decals but a different brand............been around for years but cant remember who makes the ones I have.

Ill be looking on with interest on this one!