Which Tamiya parts can you easily use on Revell F4-G

oyoy5

Purchasing a F-4E (EJ) kit and a nose/slats conversion is your best bet Sir... Revell is wrong in some shapes (nose, intakes...) and the undercarriage legs are weak, the only "plus" are the exhausts and the ventral tank ("F-15 style"), much more correct dimensionally than Tamiya parts.

Edited by Luca

Well, it depends of what you want...

1. You are not mad about accuracy: build the kit OOTB

2. You want to correct the most glaring issues: get a new nose, new intakes and a cockpit or at least seats.

3. You want a reasonably accurate F-4G:

- option a: correct and detail the Revell kit with aftermarket or some Tamiya elements. To me, it is clearly the less obvious option unless if you already have a stash full of Phantom plastic, resin and photoetched parts.

- option b: start with a Tamiya F-4E and use the Revell kit for the specific parts like the slat wings, the belly drop tank and the F-4G specific parts and decals.

In any case, there is currently no short and cheap journey to get a good F-4G...

Note that with a little bit of work, it is possible to put the Tamiya part inside the Revell one! This gives the better interior detail with the correct diameter.

I was thinking the same thing (I have 2 F-4F Revell kits in my stash), BUT: Tamiya muzzle + Tamiya undercarriage + Tamiya back/intakes... we are almost going to buy a whole Tamiya kit LOL

another thing: at least here in Italy, each single sprue purchased by the importer (Fantasyland) it costs A LOT.

Edited by Luca

• 5 months later...

The Tamiya engine nozzles are way to small...the Revel ones are better in diameter but less detailed! I have an old set from CAM, those are great...and I have a set from GT on order...lokking fwd to seeing it in the flesh!

cheers

Uwe

I'm not up with the various re-issues and iterations of the big Revell Phantom, but certainly in the early ones,

it suffered from Revell's almost trademark squashed canopy syndrome.

A few of stated if you care about accuracy get a Tamiya F-4E and conversion set.

If accuracy doesnt hudt build Revell OOB.

Mixing them is not really resolving the Revells multiple issues and just having a bet each way and not achieving your goal of annaccurate F-4G if that is your goal.

If time isn't of the essence I'd be inclined to wait for the Tanmodel slatted F-4 kit ad see what options will exist.

Otherwise Tamiya F-4EJ kit and GT Resin F-4G conversion.

I've seen some nice models made with the Revell kits but the slightly off canopy really spoils its lines.

Tony

Perhaps foolishly, I too am holding out for the laser-scanned big scale Tan Model, which I trust will be of at least similar quality to the ZM series, but without any shape boo-boos dragging it down.

The Tamiya kit, while leagues a head of the Revell kit, still has a few issues with some difficult ones like its overly angular and chunky rear fuselage nacelles really compromising its shape. Building one and correcting/not correcting it may satisfy the one-time builder, but gets tedious when you want a flightline of different sub-types which have much in common. Particularly those rear nacelles. 

After all these years, it's the least the venerable but still awesome Phantom deserves.

Particularly those rear nacelles.

yep, we need a correction set for those rear nacelles...I have  plenty of Tamiya Phantoms in my stash and it would be too much work on each one  :please:

Edited by Luca