A-1H US NAVY Skyraider (Trumpeter A-1J kit - 1/32)

alaninaustria

Pull'in some overtime on this one.....

Almost going blind and getting the shakes from positioning, painting and 'weeding' the masks!! She's starting to look the part!!

IMG_5375_zps4oojvhdx.jpg

And up close:

IMG_5376_zpsdcpnikqh.jpg

Cheers

Time for a break!!

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

Alan , very thin copper wire from middle of pylon "through" the nose fuse. It might be a little late but almost all munitions were well weatherd except for the tail fin assembly. Reaso is bombs were treated fairly ruff and stored outdoors mostly. The tail fins were usually new and crated. I'll see if I can find pics latter if you wish.....Harv

Last update for today! Finished up the other side - and I'm not even half finished with the masks :)

IMG_5378_zpsgvhpmdnp.jpg

Up close:

IMG_5379_zpsqgzuyb0u.jpg

IMG_5380_zpshmn2axsv.jpg

Well, tedious but enjoyable work! Am getting closer to the finishline with this bird!!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

Thanks Harv! I think I understand the wire concept now... so when the pilot pulled the drop trigger to deliver some *freedom* ;) the bombs dropped and the wires pulled a pin and armed the detonator? I am going to investigate this more before commiting to the build!! I appreciate your help!!

Cheers

Alan

Your welcome Alan and you are correct. The wire keeps the fuse from turning( the little props on them) the fuse needs to turn so many revolutions before it is armed. You can knock the fuse of the bomb with a baseball bat and it wont explode. Don't ask how I know :wicked: .........Harv 

Here is a A-4 getting it's arming wires installed on it's bombs:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/22da6cc1e04e4401_large

if you look between the swaybraces (just below the 12 on the bottom rack) you'll see the end of the wire hooked up to the rack, that is a swivel shaped sort of like this 0 with the wire attached to the bottom of it. The swivel is hooked up to the arming solenoid, when the pilot selects Master Arm and Nose Arming, the solenoid is energized holding the swivel, along with the arming wire, so when the bomb drops the arming wire is pulled out and the bomb can arm. If the pilot wants to drop the bomb safe then, depending on the a/c type, Master or Nose/Tail Arming is not selected, so the solenoid is not energized and swivel and arming wire stay with bomb when it falls safe. Although having several hundred pounds falling to earth does make a thud, and sometimes a boom.

Also note the bombs are slightly weathered and the difference between the yellow stripes, freehand on one and masking on the other.

Jari

Edited by Finn