Tamiya 1/35 King Tiger - Ardennes

joe

Hi Guys,

Here's some pics of a Tamiya King Tiger built back a year or two.

It's a nice and very easy kit to build and most of it was built OOTB except for a few details here and there. I used Dragon Magic Tracks and a metal barrel and a bit of photoetch.

Paints were mainly Tamiya and Gunze but Vallejo and Humbrol for the smaller details.

If you want to know more about it - just ask

Hope you like it....

kt223_4.jpg

kt223_6.jpg

kt223_2.jpg

kt223_5.jpg

kt223_1.jpg

Edited by joe

Many thanks Kev.

I know this is an a/c site but if OK I'll post more when able....

Of course! That's why we introduced this forum. Gives us all an outlet for our non-LSP stuff without having to go elsewhere (not that there's anything wrong with that of course!).

Kev

Wow Joe...another one. awesome. I'm also doing this one ( Ardennes Boxing) with the motorbikes. A WIP but I might grab a few weathering ideas off your kit. Lovely work.

Cheers Matty

Hey Matty,

This one is the standard boxing Tamiya kit but I was keen to do an Ardennes KT. I used the decals from a Dragon KT kit for tank 223.

The research I did shows that tanks 222 and 223 had sprayed camo and not the hard edged style that a lot of KT's had during this time.

Mig Pigments were the main weathering agents for the finish.

I used parts from a Voyager PE set and an Eduard gun barrel. The barrel cleaning rods are Evergreen rod and the towing cables are picture hanging wire with Tiger Model Designs towing ends.

After taking a second look at the pics...I need to add shafts to the towing shackels. A bit more Evergreen rod is in order! ;)

Thanks for the interest.

Edited by joe

Beautiful KT - exceptional weathering!

Have always had a closeted love for armor.

May I ask what paints you used?

Best Regards,

D.B.

Let the armour love out of the closet my friend...:)

The base yellow is Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow lightened with XF-2 White

The Green is a custom mix of Tamiya XF-26 Deep Green and XF-58 Olive Green

And the brown is Mr Color/Gunze H406 Chocolate Brown(from the Panzer 2 Mid to Late paint set)

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice indeed. I have the 1:16 Tamiya kit (Henschel turret), that some time ago I began converting into my all time favorite beast,... the Jagdtiger. When (and if), the time comes, I hope mine turns out as nice as this. I especially like the track and wheels on yours; very well done.

• 2 weeks later...

The cool thing about this is the weathering isn't over done. Most,if not all of the Kings in the Ardennes were fairly new or brand new yet I have seen models of them that look like they were sitting at Aberdeen Proving Ground for 20 years.

This on here is just right.

J