HASEGAWA P-51 D

Chris/Germany

Chris, you've outdone yourself again. Awesome. I must say I'm really liking your idea of the BMF paint job combined with foil (on select panels). Having just started on my 1/24 mustang, I might be doing something similar when the time comes. Tell me, do decals go over the foil OK? Or do you put down a clear sealing coat over the foil before the decals?

Once again, super work mate.

Ango.

Thanx guys, glad you like it.

Ango: this may not be the "ultimative" way to do a NMF but this way it works out right and looks very good for me: I handle a BareMetal Finish like any other paint , here a the steps:

1st: Alqulad colours are used in three different shades, for example dark alu, duralu, polished alu

2nd: Bare metal foil is applied in two shades ( alu and chrome) on several panels

3rd: although decals may work on alqulad and Bare metal I take the sure way and give her a coat of high gloss

4th: decals are applied. also going for sure and cutting them out exactly

5th: a coat of semi gloss is applied. You may think that semi gloss destroys the metal finish look by pulling down the gloss effect and thats partially right but the last step eliminates that and makes it look right, it s a coat of

6: clear antique furniture wax. can be applied with a soft brush after letting the last coat of semi gloss dry for two days , also can be coloured with a dark pastell chalk ( black or umber)to get some "weathering effect". After the wax has dried it can be polished to the gloss grade you prefer and this kind of "last coat" gives a very real looking kind of "deepness" to a NMF. Best thing of the wax is: if you´re not satisfied with the result you can correct this by washing it down with 40% alcohol and try again. unfortunately the photos dont capture the real look of the finish, it looks much more real than a pure alqulad finish or a last coat of high gloss.

Hope this helps, check it out!

cheers

Chris

'Chris, your stangs are truly beautiful. I think you have done a magnificent job here oh great ripper. The finish is magnificent and I hope you will not be offended if I tell you they are better than the TBOLT. Well, you shouldn;t be because speaking for myself, every model I finish is better than the one before and that's the way it should be otherwise we wouldnot be learning anything from our previous experiences. Great stuff again. One day post a list of the models you have done as cutaways. Time to make a short article with one or two shots of each model. you have amassed quite a collection now. Would love to visit you one day and see them in real life!!

Would love to visit you one day and see them in real life!!

I might just do that. If Chris lets me :lol:

We are planing our nex summer holiday in the border area Germany/Austria ,near the Bodensee..

Thanx a lot guys, you´re always welcome for a visit, great holiday area here called the "three-country-corner", Eastend of Lake of Konstanz, 10 minutes to austria, 20 minutes to switzerland, just gimme a call and I´m booking you´re next holiday!

Somebody has nothing to do at the end of November ( around 27th)? Let me invite you to our clubs next model show called "modellbau Bodensee", lasts for 3 days and is on the way to grow to germanys second greatest modellling related expos including R/C aircraft, trains, trucks and and and........how about a "LSP-Europe-members" meeting?.....hahahahha

cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Just seen your triple-Mustang saga...they look beautiful. My favorite personal Mustang is Big Beautiful Doll, and I have just picked up the Airfix 1/24th scale kit of this last Sunday at my local IPMS Model Expo 2004 competition. One day, I shall be completing it (I am looking forward to seeing your version). Any one out there give me a kit correction guide for this kit please?

Well done Chris :D