Tamiya Mossie: UPDATE: 2/4/17: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Mark

very much appreciated and looking forward to you pulling your Mossie out of the stash and and joing the fun

Peter

It will be for next year when I start this one.

First I will go for the he219 all the jets are one hold going for props.

Mark

Peter:  Good to have you back again and what a nice build to come back with.  OOB is refreshing in what is releases you from - all that extra work that really does not necessarily have a finite end.  Your skills definitely didn't take vacation either - nicely done.

Nice that you took that break to get rejuvenated.  Sometimes you just need that to bring the fun back into our fantastic hobby.  Looking forward to future updates!

Chris

fabulous to have you back Peter :) the place is not the same without you

I love the way you have jump-started your enthusiasm with a clear goal, and as always your execution is flawless, simply fantastic OOB (even if it is a Tamiya box :))

looking forward to more

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Mark

Much appreciated. Looking forward to your SMS He219 build thread. I have the kit as well and it looks magnificent.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Chris

Much appreciated and some much needed RNR really helps. I'm really enjoying the Mossie and working towards a specific goal keeps me focused and on the straight and narrow.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Peter

Very glad to be back and thank you for the kind words on the Mossie's front office and Brownings. Staying focused has been an issue me over the past few years and the idea of a specific goal for a single contest category seems to be what the doctor ordered.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Justin

Glad your back and looking forward to your Uhu build.

Just great to be back with all the guys and gals!!!!!!

Peter

Thanks for posting this build Peter.

I have been following Wolf's build but really great to see a build OOB, and both gob smakingly great!

Very inspiring, though a bit intimidating.... :) I am looking forward to seeing more of this build, great work.

I have this kit to do as a Mark XVII, currently working on a bulbous nose, so taking lots of notes!

Cheers

PR

Guest Peterpools

Hi Pete

Thank you so much for the very kind words on my Mossie build. While Wolf and I are taking two different approaches to the kit, we both tend to finish our models with only very light weathering. a feel of use and flight time but on the well maintained side. The Tamiya kit is simply brilliant and the detail straight out of the box is amazing. Since my goal is to enter the Mossie in a upcoming contest this spring, in the Box Stock category, I have to be very careful to avoid any temptations of adding or changing the kit in any way except a change of decals is allowed. The Mossie been a breath of fresh air, just going with  what's in the box.

I'll be looking forward to your Mk XVII Mossie and I hope I haven't missed the bulbous thread.

Peter

Hi Peter!

Great intro to this build and your cockpit is eerily "Wolf-like", which is a VERY good thing!  As others have said above, I haven't really cared for modeling lately either, mostly because there are so many other things to do in the summer, it would be a shame to sit indoors playing with little pieces of plastic as I have done in past years.  The snow will fly soon enough, at which time my modeling mojo will come back with a vengeance.  I suspect you and others have felt the same way.

I like the fact that you are building this model for a model contest.  Too often I hear or read that many modelers don't care for modeling contests, because of all the politics, poor judging and other things that can be real or imaginary.   I do have one suggestion, however, and that is you musty try and win.  Yeah, yeah, just competing is reward enough and all that stuff, but you really should pull out all the stops to WIN!  You are certainly good enough (eg. look at that cockpit again), you know what the judges look for and there is nothing like a specific focus to enhance this modeling experience.  Win Peter, Win!  You can thank me next April.  :whistle:

Cheers,

Chuck

Guest Peterpools

Hi Chuck

Thank you for your comments and my front office being eerily "Wolf-like" is a compliment of the highest order and I feel my head starting to swell. I'm pretty well 'pumped' at building for a contest and while winning isn't my prime motive, every day, I want to do a bit better, as winning sure would be nice and I'm going to give it my best.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 8/11/16; THE FUSELAGE IS BUTTONED UP AND THE MERLINS:

Through step 1 - 30

I've been enjoying every second of the Mossie build and with the contest table as goal one, taking great pains to give each part and assembly 101% effort – no short cuts, just my best.

I'm still spending considerable time outside in the fresh air and enjoying some of summer which in the past, I have never been able to do.  With another heat wave approaching, pool season will be a bit longer then I thought and should take it's normal toll on these aging bones.

Finally I've been able to button of the fuselage and have been completely amazed at the precision of the fit and parts: zero fit problems: the brilliance of Tamiya - following the instructions very closely, reading all the notations and just taking my time. The oil pin washes and light dry brushing were carefully applied as to highlight the details and but not to alter the colors or over weather.

With the fuselage buttoned up, my attention turned to the gorgeous Merlins; the 6th and 7th ones I've built to date: three Mustangs and two Spitfires can attest to that. The most incredible part is, Papa Tamiya has altered the basic Merlins to be specific for each aircraft! No problems to report and once both Merlins were assembled, they were primed with MIG Gray Primer and then followed up with Tamiya Semi Gloss Black .

The starboard firewall assembly was next up and slowly each part was added, air brushing some after assembly and some prior. I wanted to try something a bit different, so before any color coats were applied, the basic assembly was air brushed with MIG Black Primer and then the color coats. AK Aluminum was applied for the natural metal parts and the effect was what the doctor ordered: a nice aluminum finish with a very light sheen to semi flat metallic shine. The idea is that when installed in the nacelles, there would be a number of different aluminum shades and finishes, adding interest and breaking up what would have been just one shade of aluminum.

Slow but steady and keeping to the straight and narrow.

Next up: completing the starboard wing nacelle and Merlin assembly and the port assembly.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

untitled-2-1_zpsr4uzaptg.jpg

untitled-1_zpswrunzkkb.jpg

The missing First Aid Decal in place!

untitled-3-1_zpsvlcuqz3q.jpg

untitled-11-1_zps4qtwq0bb.jpg

untitled-12-1_zpsvp4gvknc.jpg

untitled-6-1_zpsyjgqk9vl.jpg

untitled-5-1_zpspl5hqwqj.jpg

untitled-16-1_zpsngmgpgns.jpg[/url

untitled-7-1_zpscjwvcnuk.jpg