MDC Typhoon Mk.1b

Rick K

I have had this kit in my stash for a few years and I finally decided begin this build.  The Tiffy is one of my favorite WWII Allied aircraft further, this build will give me some practice on a complete resin kit before I start on my HpH Me410.  I am fully aware of all the challenges of this kit and my hopes are to address each one with positive results with little use of colorful metaphors.

Not sure which scheme.  However, be assured there will be some black and white stripes.

About this kit.  At first glance everything looks fine.  Some of the panel lines are weak and will need some attention.  Several warping issues will need to be tended to, especially along the wing root. 

By all means this is a well manufactured kit and will build into a very nice bird.  Not taking anything away from MDC.

Tiffy_Packaging01.jpg

Tiffy_Packaging02.jpg

Tiffy_Packaging03.jpg

Aftermarket items include:

• Aviaeology Typhoon stencils
  • Eduard fabric RAF Seatbelts
  • RB Productions Radiator Mesh (for screen in front of radiator)
  • BarracudaCast Main wheels
  • BarracudaCast Typhoon, Tempest Seat
  • Paul Fisher Sea Fury Canopy

The cockpit detail is spartan so I will use Valiant Wings' "Airframe & Miniature No.2 The Hawker Typhoon" for reference.  This book is full of details which will certainly come in handy during this build. 

Tiffy_StickText.jpg

The control stick got some attention with lead wire, Waspi Fly stretch tubing and styrene card.

Tiffy_Pit_Port_Text01.jpg

The port side of the cockpit tube frame got some lead wire, stretch tubing and styrene enhancement.

Tiffy_Pit_Port03.jpg

Tiffy_Pit_Port02.jpg

To date this effort to detail the cockpit is truly time consuming.  Slick Chick and Mistel 2 FW190 are somewhat angry at me and may shove some karma my way at a later date.

Guest Peterpools

Rick

Terrific start on the Typhoon and I'll be following with great interest as my next project is the Airfix Typhoon.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Tiffy_Pit_Starboard_Text03.jpg

The starboard side of the cockpit tube frame got some lead wire, stretch tubing and styrene enhancement.

Tiffy_Pit_Starboard02.jpg

Gun sight is a lesson of model building by braille.  Instructions are non existent.  After some dry fitting I figured it out.  This wil be a common practice with this build.

Tiffy_GunSight_Text01.jpg

Added a brass wire for a locator pin.

Tiffy_GunSight02.jpg

Tiffy_GunSight03.jpg

Lots of cleaning.

Seat armor plate was so warped I decided to cut out of styrene card and add some Mr. Surfacer for texture.

Tiffy_SeatArmor01.jpg

Seat is Barracudas offering with original mounting frame, oxygen parts grafted in.

Tiffy_StarboardSeat01.jpg

Hand brake?  Original replaced with styrene rod and brass wire.

Tiffy_StarboardSeat02.jpg

All put together

I was wondering about that, too. It was probably rolled armor plate, which might have a few pits in it - you see armor guys using a dental bit bounced lightly off model surfaces to recreate it, but even that would be typically seen only in thick armor plates. The surface you are creating would be more like a cast texture, unless you are depicting an asbestos fireproofing layer? Don't think they had that.

Great work on the seat, though! Good idea on using the Barracuda seat, it is a beautiful piece of resin.

Its a fun kit to build. Yours is coming along nicely.

I don't understand the Mr. Surfacer on the armor plate as "texture" though? It shouldn't have texture?

I was wondering about that, too. It was probably rolled armor plate, which might have a few pits in it - you see armor guys using a dental bit bounced lightly off model surfaces to recreate it, but even that would be typically seen only in thick armor plates. The surface you are creating would be more like a cast texture, unless you are depicting an asbestos fireproofing layer? Don't think they had that.

Great work on the seat, though! Good idea on using the Barracuda seat, it is a beautiful piece of resin.

Thanks for the kudos Ron and Ray.  The "texture" on the armor plate is purely visual enhancement.  Not sure if really actual surface. 

• 2 weeks later...

After an overall cover of Alclad Silver I broke out the Vallejo Model paints and got to work.  After a coat of gloss varnish to seal everything the weathering process will begin.

Tiffy_PortPitPainted01.jpg

Port side painted.  After paint a coat of gloss varnish to seal everything then the weathering/shading process will begin.

Tiffy_StarboardPitPainted.jpg

Starboard side gets some love.  Some cleaning needed.

Tiffy_StarboardPitPainted02.jpg

Seat, IP and Joy Stick.

Tiffy_SeatPainted.jpg

Tiffy_IP_Painted.jpg

Tiffy_StickPainted.jpg

Much to learn on fine detail painting.  Happy to get through this with no disaster.

Initial weathering complete not decided on pigments at this time.

I recommend test fit, test fit and test fit for these parts.  Also use 5 minute epoxy.  You need some flexibility with construction and fitting in the fuselage.

Tiffy_Pit_Pedal_Stick04.jpg

HEEL BOARD with RUDDER PEDALS glued, TUBULAR FLOOR and JOY STICK ready for construction.

Tiffy_Pit_Pedal_Stick02.jpg

HEEL BOARD with RUDDER PEDALS in position.

Tiffy_Pit_Pedal_Stick03.jpg

HEEL BOARD with RUDDER PEDALS glued with 5 min epoxy.

Tiffy_Pit_Pedal_Stick01.jpg

HEEL BOARD with RUDDER PEDALS and JOY STICK glued to TUBULAR FLOOR.

The tubular cockpit is tricky.  Once all the parts are in place the fit is relatively good.  First are the tubular PORT and STARBOARD FUSELAGE glued to the FIREWALL BULKHEAD.  5 minute epoxy is a must.  CA glue could not hold up to the stress from bending to fit.  After the second "pop" I switched to epoxy.  Everything stayed in place.

Also critical to follow the sequence outlined in instructions.

Tiffy_Pit_PostShade01.jpg

The MAIN SPAR (center piece) needs to have the nubs trimmed off as the HEEL BOARD rests on this portion.  Parts noted are PORT and STARBOARD FUSELAGE, FIREWALL BULKHEAD, MAIN SPAR and AFT FUSELAGE MOUNT.

Tiffy_Pit_PostShade03.jpg

PORT FUSELAGE mounted to FIREWALL BULKHEAD.

Tiffy_Pit_PostShade02.jpg

STARBOARD FUSELAGE mounted to FIREWALL BULKHEAD.

Tiffy_Pit_Port_Complete02.jpg

Carefully spread the PORT and STARBOARD FUSELAGE to accept the "floor".  Align the MAIN SPAR lugs to the holes and secure.  When spreading the fuselage to accept the "floor" if you used CA glue the fuselage side will pop off the FIREWALL BULKHEAD.  5 minute epoxy solves this problem. 

Then spread fuselage to accept the SEAT, DO NOT GLUE at this time.  Next add the LOWER ARMOUR PLATE.

Use the AFT FUSELAGE MOUNT as dry fit to act as a jig.  Position in fuselage to ensure final good fit.  After cure glue the UPPER ARMOR PLATE with a spot of white acrylic glue insert pit to fuselage and close up with tape.  Adjust position of UPPER ARMOR PLATE.  After dry remove pit form fuselage and revisit the UPPER ARMOUR PLATE with epoxy.

Finally apply white acrylic glue to the SEAT U-lugs, place pit in fuselage and close up.  Adjust seat position and allow to try.  After dry remove pit from fuselage and revisit with epoxy at the U-lugs, be sure to address U-lugs from inside pit frame.

Hope these pics will be helpful.  PM me with any questions.

Tiffy_Pit_Port_Complete01.jpg

Tiffy_Pit_Starboard_Complete02.jpg

All in all this pit build was nothing short of crazed angst.  Lots of problem solving and creative engineering.  Like a marathon, it one step at a time.

Tiffy_Pit_Starboard_Complete01.jpg

Please note I did not use the REAR SPAR.  This caused fit issues into the fuselage and would interfere with the RECOGNITION LIGHT installation.  The REAR SPAR will never be visible after the fuselage is buttoned up.

Instrument Panes with completed scratch items and additional (unpainted will be split into 2 switch panels) scratch item.

Tiffy_Pit_IP_Plumbing01.jpg