Den fighters, (forever)

LSP_K2

Nice work mate. I built this kit myself many years ago, and its main shortcoming (as with all the Otaki WW2 IJN/IJA kits) is the ridiculously shallow wheel bays. I think I'll repaint mine one day.

Kev

Which is irrelevant when hanging from the ceiling, depicted in a flying condition.:) When I get to the Fw 190, I'll have one gear dropping out as it gets blasted by a Mustang; I've seen that several times in documentaries. The centerline tank of the George will be depicted slipping away from the airframe, as the pilot realizes he's just been jumped by a Hellcat.

When I saw your thread, I thought you had a great idea.

So I've picked up the following kits to do something similar in my son's room:

97e86f07.jpg

Thankfully, only one has a prop so I'll try your idea on the Mustang and see how it works.

Thanks for reminding us we can just throw something together and have some basic fun.

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Welcome to 1960. :D You realize, I suppose, that this is exactly how we used to build these kits way back 50-60 years ago. This is how I built the first plastic model kits in the late 1940's but that is another matter.

This is the way I have always built my models and I see no reason to drive myself crazy trying to put in as many details as I can. I build for two reasons, for the fun (fun!) of it and to add another airplane type to my collection. I also build models to use in my sculpture but that is another matter entirely.

All my airplane models are depicted as if they were flying, either hanging from the ceiling or lying flat against the wall, being hung on there like a picture. In all cases the retractable landing gear stays retracted. Cockpits are left as they come in the kit, unless I paint and insert the pilot.

Accuracy of the kit? I feel that the Three Foot Rule applies: "If it looks good from three feet away it is accurate enough."

I am not saying that the effort to make a super accurate model with as much detail as possible is wrong. Far from it as there is no "wrong" in a person's hobby. The fine scale approach is just how some other people make their models. It is a big world, with plenty of room for us all. :party0023:

Thus I am very pleased to see this build and I say, "Rock on!" :clap2:

Stephen

Stephen, I too built all my aircraft models as a kid to hang from the ceiling, doing battle, and this entire ongoing project is an homage to that period in my uncomplicated child life that I sometimes miss so much.

The Otaki 190 is a neat little kit. Built one myself this time last year. It doesn't hold a candle to all the more modern renditions, but it's easy to build, and is light years ahead of what most kit manufacturers were putting out at the time of its release. The canopy is the worst feature of the kit, but it's probably not worth bothering about in your case (I didn't).

Kev

Stephen, I too built all my aircraft models as a kid to hang from the ceiling, doing battle, and this entire ongoing project is an homage to that period in my uncomplicated child life that I sometimes miss so much.

Kevin,

I do not miss those uncomplicated days of my childhood since I have never left them. Well, there was a week or two where I had to mature a little bit to pull the wool over a certain young lady's eyes (and head and upper torso) but I quickly recovered. She is a patient woman as we have been engaged for 1,732 years now, give or take a decade, and she is still waiting for me to grow up.

Stephen

The Otaki 190 is a neat little kit. Built one myself this time last year. It doesn't hold a candle to all the more modern renditions, but it's easy to build, and is light years ahead of what most kit manufacturers were putting out at the time of its release. The canopy is the worst feature of the kit, but it's probably not worth bothering about in your case (I didn't).

Kev

I have about a dozen of the Otaki kits Kev, and I agree; for their time, they weren't bad at all. Certainly will make for some decent ceiling queens.

That's looking great mate. You're making me want to pull out my old build of this kit and give it a fresh coat of paint.

Kev

Thanks Kev. Building these kits this way is so rewarding. My goal is to have the entire ceiling covered with paired fighters; allied vs axis.