BloorwestSiR

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Nasty for sure and glad you'll only be out of action for about a week. A few years back, I managed to put too much pressure on a #17 blade, it snapped and the part still in the X-Acto knife went right in to my fore finger. A trip to the hospital and four stitches later, I gained a lot more respect for paying closer attention to such things when working. We're lucky as it could.have been worse.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, 

I thought I should post an update on this build and show it some love  :wub:  . Since I've been plugging away mostly at my UH-1 build, it's safe to say my thumb healed up nicely, The scar though has pretty much changed the appearance of my finger print. That's two now that are manged beyond recognition on my right hand  :whistle:

I finished painting and assembling the cockpit tub. I gave everything a very light dry brushing with Tamiya grey from their weathering pastels.

IMG_20150115_224522.jpg

IMG_20150115_224528.jpg

IMG_20150115_224536.jpg

IMG_20150115_224546.jpg

The main IP is done as well but since it attaches to the coaming, I don't have it here.  

I painted the area around the cockpit opening and behind the intake splitters to make it easier for me further down the build.

IMG_20150115_215127.jpg

IMG_20150115_215135.jpg

At this point, I noticed a few seams that needed touch ups I will do those and re-apply the paint. 

I think I should be finished on the UH-1 build this weekend so hopefully that means a bit faster progress on this build. 

Carl

Thanks Taff, I was a bit surprised too how much I was able to do minus a thumb.

I painted the insides of the intakes flat white and then masked off the front section of them for a coat of neutral grey:

IMG_20150120_222047.jpg

Using a tip I learned here, I plugged the intakes with a small piece of foam cut to fit. After a quick coat of paint, here's the end result:

IMG_20150120_223257.jpg

I then added the inner section of the Vari-ramps made by AMS. Considering that I was using AM from two different manufacturers, they fit together really well.

IMG_20150120_224836.jpg

IMG_20150120_224828.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Thanks for the tip, Bill. I will have to check out their intakes for future builds. That being said, I didn't find it that hard to mask them off.

To attach the intakes to the fuselage, I decided to glue them in two stages to get the best possible fit and minimize any filler/sanding. I first applied CA along the upper "shoulder" of the fuselage that is behind the intake. I outlined the area in red in this pic:

885526b2-d898-4933-b820-d8b181b5c501.jpg

I made sure not to get any CA on the trunk portion of the fuselage. This then let me adjust the outer sections of the kit fuselage to get as flush a fit as possible. 

IMG_20150120_230114.jpg

IMG_20150120_230136.jpg

As a result, the joint only needed a couple coats of Mr Surfacer 500 in a couple places and was smooth.

Edited by BloorwestSiR

In case anyone was wondering, here is the GT Resin exhaust can on the left compared to the kit one on the right. The difference in size becomes readily apparent

IMG_20150120_231045.jpg

I also started to paint the rear section of the plane using Alclad II. For the burner cans, I used jet exhaust which seems to be quite dark. I may go over it a bit later with something lighter. For the tail section, I used stainless steel and ran into an unplanned but interesting effect. I spray Alclad onto bare plastic which I polish with rubbing compound before hand. This seems to work the best for me as I had a terrible time when I tried using their black primer. If I spray thin coats on to the polished plastic, I find I don't experience any crazing.

The unplanned effect came from when after spraying the separate lower section, I noticed a couple rough spots still. I sanded, smoothed and re-polished the affected areas and then resprayed the Alclad. There was a noticeable difference in the sheen of the Alclad on the areas that had been bare plastic compared to where there was still Alclad from the original coat. This has led to a bit of a subtle weathered looked without me having done anything additional.

IMG_20150122_213657.jpg

IMG_20150122_213717.jpg

I know most modelers like to cut the tailplanes apart and install them after but I always chicken out doing that and follow the instructions. Blasphemous I'm sure but it works for me. To make it at least a bit easier for me, I paint the assemblies before putting them together. 

IMG_20150128_205932.jpg

Here's the tailplanes with the grey sections done and just waiting to do the metal parts:

IMG_20150128_210001.jpg

Carl

Thanks Harvey and Kai. 

Here are the horizontal stabs with the grey masked off ready for their coat of Alclad.

IMG_20150129_234823.jpg

It is a bit of a pain masking things twice but I can't complain about the results.

IMG_20150130_000957.jpg

And here they are installed with the lower section in place. I used the Tamiya  pastels and put on a bit of blue for heat staining.

IMG_20150201_231046.jpg

IMG_20150201_231036.jpg

To fit the GT resin burner cans, I did some trial fitting to check the fit. It looked like I was going to have remove some plastic from around the engine openings as I was getting a sizable gap when trying to attach the lower wing. I then noticed these two tabs on the lower wing:

45082603-187f-4b24-875e-2f1950d919f0.jpg

By removing those tabs, the burner cans turn into a drop fit. Which allowed me to attach the lower wing. I started by applying regular Tamiya liquid cement to the tabs on the wing. Then, starting at the front fuselage, I lined the wing and fuselage together and ran Tamiya Extra Thin along the seams. 

IMG_20150201_231005.jpg

IMG_20150201_230945.jpg

IMG_20150201_230936.jpg

I left the sprue gates on to protect the wing tips and prevent me from snapping them off. They don't interfere with the attachment of the wing to the fuselage. That brings me up to where I am at the moment.

Carl