1:350 HMS Hood

Iain

Been building this as part of a Battle of the Atlantic group build over on Britmodeller - but thought some of you guys might be interested...

I bought the kit as soon as it came out - the plan being to build it for my friend - Bill Stone - who served on her in the early 1920's as a stoker and was on her during the Empire Cruise. Having joined in the First World War - he was also active in the Second - at Dunkirk and serving on Murmansk Convoys.

article-1113464-015EFAAB0000044D-164_233x364.jpg

Sadly Bill passed away in January 2009 aged 108. He was a great chap - full of great spirit and still enjoying a beer and chatting up the ladies in his last year. With my families background in the Royal Navy we had some great conversations about the Navy and history in general - a true gentleman. Bills favourite ship was the Mighty 'ood - he was so proud of his time on her.

So - Bill - this one's for you mate - and also in memory of those that lost their lives when she sank. RIP one and all.

re2005046.JPG

re2005047.JPG

re2005048.JPG

re2005049.JPG

In the background you may be able to see my attempt at a U-Boat in 1:72...

re2005054.JPG

Just for fun I've popped a Lion Roar resin turret in place - it's not glued yet - trust me!

re2005055.JPG

Tried to get the deck joints as neat as possible to reduce the filling and sanding that will be needed over the weekend.

re2005056.JPG

Removing the moulded-in de-gaussing cables:

re2005064.JPG

re2005065.JPG

Both images taken one hand through magnifier - sorry about quality!

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

re2005069.JPG

Deck edges all flush and de-gausing cables gone. Base plate faired in.

re2005068.JPG

Now - anchor chain - to be replaced by Lion Roar chain.

Hawse pipes being opened up:

re2005081.JPG

re2005082.JPG

Iain

Here's where we are just now:

Have been on a big learning curve with this - but have come to conclusion I've been worrying about the build too much and just need to crack on. Hopefully there's some sense to the breakdown of parts before I start painting - any thoughts/tips appreciated!

I can certainly see the attraction of model ship building!!

re2005119.JPG

I was going to paint the decks and wall panels separately - but then realised some filling/careful positioning required - so have been fitting these before paint.

re2005122.JPG

And next deck loosely placed in position - everything seems to fit OK...

re2005129.JPG

Closer view of where we are on main hull - will fill later and sand/prep tomorrow.

re2005130.JPG

And, again, with next deck in place. I've elected not to use the panels that come with the Lion Roar set as I think they'll just add a lot of aggro for not a lot of enhancement.

re2005131.JPG

And I just couldn't resist placing some of the growing sub-assemblies in position...

re2005132.JPG

There's a Hood in there somewhere!

re2005133.JPG

Sub assemblies to date - most sanded and prepped...

re2005134.JPG

Here's the gunnery tower - fixed so that the main openings are now the same depth - and ready for a sanding/blending session.

re2005135.JPG

Hawse pipes filled with Milliput - ready to be smoothed out with files. Top openings don't need to be perfect as they will be covered by gratings from the White Ensign Etch set. Also note the moulded in anchor chains have all been removed.

I'm enjoying this! :)

Iain

beautiful start so far! Looks like pretty soon we're gonna have to start sub-categories in the Non-Lsp thread for ships and armor! it's nice to take a break from the winged thingies every now and then and build something different tho.. and when you have a motivation such as yours for building something it adds to the fun! Can't wait to see more of this one. Hope that Lion Roar set doesn't bog you down too much tho.. i got their set for my USS North Carolina and went whole hog for about a day with it.. there's just soooooo much in there it starts to take away from the fun of the build after a while tho. Beautiful stuff, just a LOT of it. This should turn out to be a gorgeous model when done.. the 'ood was such a beautiful ship! Love the work on the hawse pipes.. nice fix there. Will definately be watching with much interest! :popcorn:

Cheers!

Jerry

I will be watching this one closely also. I have the same kit and plan on building it sometime this year.

Have to had a chance to look at KA Models wood decking for this kit? I ordered a set from White Ensign for mine. It's very expensive but it is really really nice. :speak_cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Question; what is the difference (if any), between a Battlecruiser and a Battleship?

Well this is a Battle Cruiser! :innocent:

Klingon_Battlecruiser_Wallpaper_8cf8v.jpg

OK seriously, here is the difference explained From Wikipedia

Battlecruisers (also rendered as battle cruiser in some sources) were large capital ships built in the first half of the 20th century. They were developed in the first decade of the century as the successor to the armoured cruiser, but their evolution was more closely linked to that of the dreadnought battleship. They were similar in size and cost to a battleship, but while they typically used the same large-calibre main armament as a battleship, battlecruisers sacrificed armour protection in exchange for speed.

Iain, there is a WIP thread going on over on modelshipwrights on H.M.S. Hood. Maybe that will be helpful to you. Here is the link:

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=161602&page=1

When I first came back to modelling I started out doing ships in 1/350 and still occassionally build one. Hope this helps you out on your build of Hood.

Bob

Talking of battlecruisers, see Peter Van Buren's today's post of HMS Repulse on Modelwarships.com Peter is talented and prolific. What he did with the Repulse is outstanding.

The Repulse was in my view as good-looking as The Mighty Hood (and did not have a better fate ...)

Hubert.

Edited by MostlyRacers