Best tool to use with PE bucket seats?

mpk

Hi guys.

Yesterday during PE practice I did a shocker of a job on a PE WWII seat.

What tool should I get to help me build these cleanly?

Cheers. Dale.

PS. I have a tool for square edges, and I was able to build this box. The rounded stuff is the issue.

20170523_082457_zpsnvypq6if.jpg

Hi again.

I am looking to order a tool for the above situation. I want something good that'll last.

Is a tool such as this, from The Small Shop suitable? These are readily available.

BRASSASSIST.jpg

Or perhaps?

Rollingset.JPG

Would this do?

extended%20rolling%20set.JPG

Prices are in AUD:

1: $110.50.

2: $47.50

3: $24.50.

I use the shank of drill bits for curved surface forms, Dale. You can get them in just about any size. The key is to anneal the parts first - something I don't generally do on rectangular parts. I roll them on a surface with some "give", too. In my case, an old mouse pad seems to work pretty well.

Ive got BOTH.   The PE bending roller, as well as the "hold and fold" small PE bender from the small shop.   I LOVE the hold and fold!  It is super DUPER handy indeed, and have in fact assembled some very nice PE seats with it.

The seats I assembled did not have a whole lot of rounded parts to them, so I did not use the roller. I have in fact had much less call for the roller than the folder. I do use the roller, but found it does not work as well on smaller PE parts as it does on larger ones with more surface area. 

Like Bill, I use drill bit shanks or sections of brass tubing on annealed PE brass - mostly for parts like mg barrel covers. For straight sections I use a steel ruler.

Can't see spending big money on bending tools since I don't use a lot of PE brass anyway. That being said, I can see where a specific tool for bending might be handy.

Joe

I use the shank of drill bits for curved surface forms, Dale. You can get them in just about any size. The key is to anneal the parts first - something I don't generally do on rectangular parts. I roll them on a surface with some "give", too. In my case, an old mouse pad seems to work pretty well.

Oh okay. Eduard parts need to be annealed as well?

I understand. I worked as a blacksmith when I was a kid. :)

Makes sense.

I appreciate your input mate.

Cheers. Dale

Ive got BOTH.   The PE bending roller, as well as the "hold and fold" small PE bender from the small shop.   I LOVE the hold and fold!  It is super DUPER handy indeed, and have in fact assembled some very nice PE seats with it.

The seats I assembled did not have a whole lot of rounded parts to them, so I did not use the roller. I have in fact had much less call for the roller than the folder. I do use the roller, but found it does not work as well on smaller PE parts as it does on larger ones with more surface area. 

I have the Hold and fold for square edges.

Great stuff.

Interesting you've not had much use for the roller. Looking at my stack of Special hobby kits, I think I'll need one.

Thanks so much! :)

Cheers. Dale

Like Bill, I use drill bit shanks or sections of brass tubing on annealed PE brass - mostly for parts like mg barrel covers. For straight sections I use a steel ruler.

Can't see spending big money on bending tools since I don't use a lot of PE brass anyway. That being said, I can see where a specific tool for bending might be handy.

Joe

Hey Joe.

Mate, my issue is my hands. They lack feeling. So a tool offers help dealing with that situation. Yesterday I tried so hard on this Eduard Oscar seat. I screwed it up BIG TIME!

So much so I used capital letters! ;)

My stash has loads of PE. It comes from the desire to build weird aircraft Tamiya would never release. :D

Damned Special Hobby and Azur! :D

Cheers Joe. Dale

I have minumim PE tools; the small size and mediumsize bend and fold type. I use drill bit shanks for cylinder shapes etc.  I have such a love but mostly hate relationship with PE and so  I do not need more tools to go with it. 

Rick

Hi Rick. Thanks mate.

As mentioned above, I need the help of a specific tool. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. :)

If I am ever going to build my SH P39 or another limited run type kit, I'll need the tools. :)

Thanks mate. Dale. :)