Monogram P-51D-5 "The Prodigal Son"

Who says "eeehhh its only another Mustang he'll never finish?..." :whistle:

Calling this one done.

I believe it fulfilled all of its requirements...

Mojo Mender, Alclad Test Bed, Looks Like a Mustang, One Less in the Stash

I actually like this kit.  I have to believe its certainly no Tamiya or ZM, but I think for its age it holds up well and for anybody willing to buy one of those kits and put it up on a stand, gear up, engine all buttoned up it more than looks the part.  Heck, I dont even mind the raised detail personally.  I have two more in the stash and two Phantom Mustangs in addition, and am really looking forward to those builds.

The Alclad process I toyed with, I think, turned out pretty decent for my first real effort at a true Mustang natural metal finish.  A bit more tweaking as far as shades, panel placement and a bit of care in preventing the Airframe Aluminum pigment from rubbing off during handling and I wouldve been 100% happy.  One thing I was happy with was the Aluminum Paste finish on the wings, rudder and elevators, it matches what my minds eye imagines perfectly.  The biggest downfall of the kit is its OOB sparse cockpit, and the poor fitting landing gear doors.  But the shape is pretty darn good in my opinion.

Thanks for all the encouraging words and the very generous and informative posts by this forums membership.....

Here is the P-51-5NA "The Prodigal Son" of Lt Bart Tenore of the 9th Air Force, 354th Fighter Group, 356th Fighter Squadron.

IMAG2881_zpsc71b2ea7.jpg

IMAG2907_zpsf15f0164.jpg

IMAG2886_zps91c09c46.jpg

IMAG2905_zps43eea978.jpg

IMAG2895_zpsb45f4135.jpg

Thanks again everyone.....not too shabby for a kit with a 1962 Copyright

Guest Peterpools

Lou

Geez ... just one beautiful Mustang. Wonderful build on a classic kit and indeed she can certainly hold her own with any Mustang in the looks category.

Fantastic work - what a build!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thank you guys very very much.  I appreciate the comments and compliments.

It was actually hard to find places to tell myself to quit monkeying with it.  I think you have mentioned the same thing with your Phantom Mustang build Brian.  

I finally had to remind myself of its purpose, and let go of a few ideas I had going about gun blast nozzles, scratch building sway braces for the bombs, tearing apart the lil ugly propeller, ect.

But now its comfortable on its perch.

....boy do I need a real camera though...lol