My flotilla....

xmh53wrench

I had been meaning to post these up for a while. I built these about 10 years ago. I did the scaleing, lofting, patterns, and cut the balsa for them. I dont recal the exact scale...I will have to see if my old drawings are still around. They were a blast to build. I used a combo of stain and varnish and paint for the finish. The first is a boat that I actually own and hope to restore one of these days. Its a 1956 14' plywood kit boat, with a 1956 Johnson Javelin 30hp engine, and we even have the original trailer. Its a great looking boat with a bunch of character.

INPROGRESS

IM002561.jpg

IM002566.jpg

IM002569.jpg

COMPLETED

IM002590.jpg

IM002591.jpg

IM002572.jpg

I believe the scale was around 1/15

Edited by xmh53wrench

Thanks again so much for the comments and compliments.

I just love Chris Craft and Riva boats....they are poetry and art in motion.

And, yes I did do the patterns for the boats. A long time ago I started a balsa Mh-53J in about 1/25 scale (it was huge), so unbenounced to me I taught myself lofting...its still floating around in a box somewhere....though its not much to look at.

In my usual fasion I became obsessed with old wooden boats and boat design and building. I have been to the Lake Tahoe Wooden Boat Concours D'Elegance, if you are within driving distance it is a MUST SEE!!!

I even did some sketching, designing and colored pencil renderings...it was a lot of fun.

Here are my patterns for the two boats I built (I have a third unfinished somewhere as well)

IMAG1993.jpg

IMAG1994.jpg

And here are a couple of the colored pencil boat designs I did....(pretty sure they would sink though....LOL)

IMAG1991.jpg

IMAG1992.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

Lou

Beautiful builds on the water craft. Love the finish and look. Not really knowing much about boats and I live on Long Island, I've always been fascinated by the gorgeous wood finishes.

Looking forward to your racer project as it looks like a gem.

Keep 'em coming

Peter