SH P-39Q 'Spare Parts'

CANicoll

So STILL waiting on the replacement canopy - I keep checking the SH website and I can't figure out what has shipped and what is on backorder - so we'll be surprised together when it shows up.

In the meantime, finished the black coat on the undersides which means I'll have some touch-up in the wheel wells themselves.  The Vallejo black blended in nicely with the previous spray so If the canopy does not show up in a couple of days I'll do the underside decals (decal.. just the one national insignia actually) and maybe the fuselage insignia.  SUPER tempted to pull out the Maketar masks and try them out - depends on how translucent the decals I have are.  I mean, its going over a BLACK base...

I also did a final black spray on the doors themselves ( I had them taped to the fuselage as a mask for the interior ) after a bit of light sanding to remove the paint step from the tape.  I have not added the levers and other small bits to the doors yet - that will be last otherwise I know I'm going to be losing them straightaway.

Got the props painted and spinner and backing plate in primer.  Definitely want a very shiny prop to go on this thing.

Next step is adding the landing gear - which reminds me I need to clear coat the wheels/tires.  Resin was DEFINITELY the way to go so I appreciate the suggestions in that direction.

That's it for now!

Chris

Started to get the nose gear together and realized I had not painted most of the bits - so had to take a slight detour.  Did get the main gear together and went ahead and added the red bits to the doors.

There is a cut to the bottom of the right tire I had missed before so may have to do something about that... But really nice detail on the resin tires.

Not the best angle to show the brake lines but they look pretty good if I say so myself.  Not great, but pretty good.   :)

hcS8vP.jpg

The PE levers on the doors have been folded and over painted with Vallejo Ferrari Red.  Vallejo has so many different reds it took me a few tries to find one that I actually saw as being 'RED'.  The handle on the right side is pointing down as that door will be showed open.

WH9HBR.jpg

REALLY can't wait for the canopy to arrive so I can get working on the 'top side'...

Chris

Making progress, this time doing some of the decaling. Good to see how well the SH decals lay down.  Used Micro Set and they went down very well.  The unknown was how well the white would hold up on the black base, but they are very opaque so no problems there.

The white around the cockpit is left over from the tape holding on the cracked cockpit.  As soon as the replacement shows up that will get painted as well.

3UACzS.jpg

There are minimal markings on Spare Parts: four insignia, two question marks on the tail and the name on the nose (not applied yet).  No stencils, but the wing walk lines to be added still.

2E4Y33.jpg

The SH insignia melted down into the panel lines nicely and without a lot of fuss.

owiAvU.jpg

Hoping tomorrow to get the landing gear sorted out and onto Spare Parts.

Thanks for looking!  Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Thanks Gaz!

SO I said I wanted to get it up onto its legs today, and actually did make that happen.  It took a LOT of adjusting primarily on the nose wheel since my nose compartment was about 2mm too narrow.  Not sure how that happened, but the geometry worked pretty well anyway.

The main gear has just one main join, and what looks like a plug on the gear itself.  the knob on the top of the main gear that is supposed to go into a slot in the wheel well had to be sanded down, and the slot opened up as well. Not sure how sturdy this will be.  Still have to get the gear doors on as well as the link onto the nose gear.

sKywFi.jpg

Got the black PE 'covers' onto the nose wheel by slipping them onto the (slightly widened) struts before pushing the resin wheel on.  Had to touch up the tire part just a little bit, but at least didn't scratch the wheel covers.

v7yjiu.jpg

Now have to figure out the nose weight that's needed...

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

I built the kit, if I'm not mistaken it needs quite a bit of weight, around 50g IIRC.

Ugh, 50g huh?  Off to the craft store for sure... Or hardware store, lead solder should do it.....

Thanks!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Thanks for the suggestions gents.  I went with the solder option and it worked out pretty well.  Made much simpler by the huge nose cavity just waiting to be filled.

So I had this is my kit and thought, what the heck, why not give it a try?  I cut it into lengths that would fit into the nose, and just kept filling until the nose came down.

m3PJhb.jpg

Then I added two coils of the solder into the front of the nose along with a couple of dabs of gel CA  just to make sure there was enough weight to keep the front down.

xY8sZz.jpg

And for the big reveal... Yes, my friend Harvey :punk: , she's up on all three!

cZMio3.jpg

Still have to add the nose linkage and the inside gear doors which I've been holding off on until I get the new canopy and finish the top-side paint, but I'm getting very impatient.  It has been almost a month since I ordered the replacement canopy but no news from Special Hobby :crying: so will just have to keep waiting.   :hmmm:

I've almost dropped it twice already due to the nose-heavy stance. I tend to grab the fuselage by the exhausts cut outs or by the wing tips and it immediately goes nose-down.

Fingers crossed I don't drop it or I will be REALLY CROSS....

Chris