P-51C "Evalina"

sluggo

That is really beautiful work.

I'm getting more and more hooked on getting a Silhouette myself, really impressive what you can do with it

I think that's a good choice for modeling needs. If you are truly interested start learning how to draw vector graphics. It's the most important part of the puzzle. Download Inkscape (free) and learn how to use it.

How's this for a mask?

p51b1100001.jpg

Painted the lines last night and shot some clear on it. The clear made the Alclad look like poo so I'm going to wet sand it with 2000 and panel paint each panel individually.

I doubt that I'll finish this thing up because I'm growing quite disappointed in it. I do want to see the painting through though. 

I got some new masking material in today so I'll be experimenting with it. 

More pics in a couple hours.

Edited by sluggo

Poo! That stinks.............sorry that the clear didnt work out.  :(

I have to agree that in the past Ive tried to clear some of my foiled models and have had the same reaction...........disappointment. The clear always seems to ruin the realistic appearance of the metal finish IMHO.

Well either way I hope you finish it, as its a very cool and unusual subject.

AAAWWWWWW DA<M!!!!!  

I wish I wouldve known you were going to clear it, I wouldve done my best to talk you out of it.....a quick peek at my "Jan" build wouldve shown you the exact outcome.  Everyone keeps saying the alclad is realy durable, and so far the Ace Chrome Alum spray bomb I have been using hasent been too bad, but I have no designs to clear anything thats NMF, I am hoping my smudges will be smudged with some forethought and add a bit of weathering.  Now that I look at your picture some clear with a hint of black mixed in wouldve done those lines perfectly in my opinion.  Hope you come up with a solution....

The plan was to clear it to bury the paint lines, smooth it over, then panel paint each NMF panel. I started panel painting it last but it's very time consuming. The realist in me says to not invest any more time in it. My new philosophy says to forge ahead and at least attempt to finish it if for nothing more than gaining experience in NMF.

On another note......the new masking material is awesome.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that has a wife that supports both my modeling and my automobile compulsions. She's pushing me to finish it. 

I do think I need a break from it however. I'm going to work on making a couple mask sets for some upcoming projects and maybe start my P-40 build.

• 1 month later...