Two Jeeps

Tomek

Hi Tomek

I haven't been around for a while and when I do pop in to see whats going on I come across another one of your fantastic paper card models!....I know you have only just started but I know its going to be another masterpiece! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I’m slowly plowing through this build, and heat outside doesn’t really help. Thanks guys for your rooting. Keeps me going regardless the weather.

I have made additional details. Two batteries and their cover to power the SCR 609 radio. These will be installed right behind the pilots seat.

1dc35ece.jpg

Then a map case, which will be attached on the starboard by the observer’s seat. Simple thing.

mapcase.jpg

Fuel tank under construction:

c5fa0903.jpg

I corrected the control sticks (thinner now) as well as the bell crank which turned out to be too big. The crank was protected by a cover, which beta version can be seen on the photos.

I plan to build a cage of of the styrene sticks (1mm). I hope that’s not out of scale, but I have nothing better to use at this time. Photos of the test fit below.

604db487.jpg

80a3d852.jpg2dd37b20.jpg

9ecd2d1f.jpg

I prepared for painting (inside only) sides of the fuselage. The kit provides inner and outer layer for the cockpit section. I laminated the inner layer to make it thicker and trimmed unnecessary in my concept parts.

8d93dc8e.jpg

0a7be33c.jpg

37795ed6.jpg

1c231dc9.jpg

The choice of paint is such a headache. Please understand, in paper modeling I don’t have to worry about such things ;-). To my understanding the cockpit around this time (1944) was painted using ANA 613 Olive Drab. This standard was adopted only by the USAAF, and not by AGF. Please correct me if I’m wrong. My understanding is that there is no one correct shade of OD, which often varied. I picked for the job Model Master faded olive drab enamel. To test it I painted the “door”.

b0c44f2c.jpg

Tomek, every build of your fills me with some kind of weird suicidal temptation, to build a paper model. My last attempt ended up with a disaster . It was in the early eighties, when i was trying to build a garbage truck. A small paper model available at the time in teh Czech magazine ABC. I can still feel the post traumatic stress through the memories of glued fingers, lips and so on ...uh :rolleyes:

Oh well that supposed to be complimet :whistle:

Outstanding work so far.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks guys!

Tomek, every build of your fills me with some kind of weird suicidal temptation, to build a paper model. My last attempt ended up with a disaster .

:evil_laugh:

Your eylids are getting heavier and heavier .... close your eyes ...It's not sucidal temptation ... you know you're missing something in your hobby ... you need to try something different ... a challenge .... deep inside, you feel it's time for a change ... when I finish counting to three you will wake up and will go to build a paper model! :innocent:

Didn't work? oh well, at least I tried!

But seriously, so much has changed since 80s that you may have completely different exprience this time. With all your experience in modeling, I bet it will be a cakewalk (or almost :DodgeBall:). If you interested, let me know your preferences and I can sugest some nice kits for you.

I couldn't wait any longer with painting the cockpit. Please bear in mind, it's my first time and I feel comfortable only with simple techniques.

After a coat of the OD, I decided to give the surfaces some color variation. I see you guys do all kinds of trick - preshading, etc. - I really suck with an airbrush, so I tried something different. I tried soft pastels, as I already have some exprience using them. The only challenge was to pick right colors. Not quite happy with the result, but at this moment I don't think I can do any better.

fb1309de.jpg

The floor got similar treatment, only more of it! Additionally I tried some washes, and silver pencil for scratches of metal elements. Maybe it's too much, but since it's a dio project I feel it won't look egxagerated in the end. Considering conditions these Cubs operated made me feel even better ;)

I added all the linkage.

96fff145.jpg

7cd0813c.jpg

2f0f90ac.jpg

Comments and critique is welcome!