1/35 Meng BMPT Terminator

karimb

Hi guys, 

With all the renewed hype surrounding armour, and having just finished my WIP on the foiled Canadian CF104 (including having a couple of days remaining before going back to work!), i decided to do some controlled culling in the massive armour stash i have...

Having formerly been an armour modeler before going back to airplanes, i have along the years amassed quite a shameful number of kits of subject that interest me, but mostly cold war and modern stuff from both sides of the divide.

Having had three Meng BMPTs in the stash and having built one for a friend a year ago, i thought id do a quick build on this one and join the party here. 

Now the BMPT hasnt really taken up any action, only a very limited number have been sold to foreign nations (including some in the pipeline for Algeria) and to be honest i dont think the Russians even have got any in active service. There is a new BMPT2 which is actually a reconversion based on T72 (just like the BMPT1 which is a standalone build based on the t72 chassis)

In my opinion it really is one of the most mean looking pieces of armour around (although its pretty subjective lol) so with all that behind, i decided to build a 'what if' version of the Terminator that would be in active service and pretty beat up.

Now the story behind that would be a hypothetical part either in the Syrian conflict or taking part in the Crimean ongoing conflict. I have taken two photos with some of the old armour stuff i have as small vignettes that ill post at the end of the thread (bare in mind the UN vehicle had the turret tipped out of position during handling! and that vehicle is supposed to be part of the UNIFIL contingent which is the UN peacekeeping force in the south of my country Lebanon, but just for giggles!)

The kit, for those who havent had a chance to work on it, is very very very good. The PE fret is very thin and comes with the kit, the moulding is very good, the styrene is dark green, instructions are topnotch like all the Meng kits i have built before. If you have never built a Meng kit i would strongly suggest you try them out, i have most of their armour stuff and i can highly recommend it.

Fit was as usual very good with no filler required. The tracks are the single unit ones that you have to build and are workable (you get a very smart jig to get install the tracks and get them to linked to each other!) and the suspension torsion bars also are workable so you get independently functioning suspension on the vehicle!

The paint scheme is the splinter scheme initially based on the Moscow show as the Terminator was seen there, although i took the liberty of changing the very light brown to a more 'salmon' colour due to in field repatching and fading. Also in the Syrian conflict i have seen reference photos of this salmon colour albeit more faded out or subdued.

The paints i used were all tamiya, the primer is Mr surfacer 1500 black, the optics are the 'film coating' type from AFV Club cut to size 

I havent built the tracks yet, they are still in the box and i have left them for a later stage when i have some down time on one of my short visits back home.

For the weathering i used enamel washes, Florymodels washes, oils for the fading and streaking, i also used the hairspray for chipping in selected areas, and some pigments here and there...

The whole build and painting took 4 days, but it is far from being over, just put on extended hold, although complete enough to show you guys what it looks like!

I hope you guys like it!

Photo%209-11-15%2012%2010%2031_zpswm0vbm

Photo%209-11-15%2012%2010%2037_zpstehxqd

Photo%209-12-15%2019%2024%2008_zps1tbnq5

Photo%209-12-15%2020%2031%2026_zpse4wpsc

Photo%209-13-15%2010%2032%2023_zpsirzxrm

Photo%209-13-15%2010%2032%2050_zps9w089q

Photo%209-13-15%2014%2042%2032_zpsy8wuoy

Photo%209-13-15%2015%2006%2020_zpsfyg1r5

Photo%209-13-15%2016%2013%2006_zpsbco91i

The completed painting and weathering below!

"...I have along the years amassed quite a shameful number of kits of subject that interest me..."

Shameful? Not possible! Or, maybe I'm just trying to convince myself of something, here...and I won't let my wife read what we just posted, either. :innocent: :rofl:

Good to see you, Karim and you're off to a good start. Very unique AFV and I'm looking forward to your build.

John

Wow. In the time it took me to read your first post and then respond, you've almost finished it and posted again! That's the Karim we know! :lol:

:goodjob:

John

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

John lol, i have alot of stuff in the pipeline to post, i just finished this now i am going to start the 1/32 trumpeter intruder WIP i have worked on for a whole week but never had time to post about . i just got back to Qatar this morning at 0600 from 8 days off at home ( During which i started work on the intruder...oh my!)

Its good to hear from you my friend and thanks for posting!

Karim

I like ! I like very much my friend !......Harv :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :punk:

Harv, thanks my friend lol

Dunno why it seems to be armour season all around lol... just started work a week ago on an intruder! i keep going back to aircraft eh!

thanks for leaving a word

Karim...

Blooming STUPENDOUS build. .

:wow:

it's a mighty fine Diorama ..love the extra models on the base..

STUNNING camouflage ..... she turned out GORGEOUS.

:bow: :bow:

p.s. I can see your shadow in the glass window too... smart photos!

Darn it lol my baldness has crept up in the photos again  :P

Maaaaaru my friend how are you?

thanks for the kind comments...just a small vignette to give things some sense. i still have the tracks to assemble paint and weather!

i hope all is well at your end!! its always a pleasure to read from you

Guest Peterpools

Karim

Awesome work and the cammo ... simply exceptional. So there is a stash from the dark side, loaded with kits.

Fantastic work and the weathering is absolutely exceptional.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter