Alconbury F-5e agressors decals

chezzie

Does anyone know of a sheet with any of these aircraft on?

I've not managed to find anything yet but it may just be that my Google-fu is weak(other search engines are available ;) )

Edit to add: 1/32 of course 

Many thanks in advance

David 

Edited by chezzie
Adding scale

Out of my memory there were just some two or three schemes in one of the old Hasegawa F-5E releases. I think that no aftermarket set covered that base. Typically they either focused on Navy/Marines planes or USAF early Nellis airframes. Note Alconbury aggressors had out of my memory a very basic marking scheme. The planes just had the serial number on the tail and Bort number on the nose. So this should not be that difficult to replicate.

There was talk of Two Bobs doing an Alconbury "grape" decal sheet based on their 1:48 Alconbury Gomers set...

https://www.twobobs.net/contents/en-us/p678.html

...but alas that seems to have died. With the Zimi/Kittyhawk repops I'm still hoping this may be resurrected or something similar emerges from Caracal or another firm.

As Thierry points out, a set of Bort numbers and serials would be handy. We could then just paint what schemes we wanted.

Tony 

Thanks both. That doesn't sound insurmountable at all then.

From photos it looks like 1 or 2 practice sidewinders for a loadout too?  Should be able to rustle them up too

Cheers

David 

You are correct that kit (04720) does indeed have an Alconbury marking option.

The actual airplane depicted is still at what's left of Alconbury as a gate guardian.

It can be seen on Google Street View.

3 hours ago, kalashnikov-47 said:

The actual airplane depicted is still at what's left of Alconbury as a gate guardian.

Still there, although I think I'm correct in saying it's a replica rather than a real Tiger II.

I've just recently built this kit and it does offer the Alconbury option. As mentioned thought not a lot of decals on it unless you do a pre-80 aircraftwhere it has a badge on the fin. I'm sure I put it on here......

On 4/8/2024 at 11:30 PM, Phantom2 said:

This kit is the old Hasegawa in a Revell box;

IMG_6629

I used the kit decals out of this boxing!

There are two options besides the Swiss aircraft, both in agressor schemes and I´m pretty sure one of the options was Alconbury.

IMG_9653

Stefan :beer:

Thanks Stefan. It's the irreversibly altered Hasegawa with the later shark nose. The Nellis scheme looks good although I, too, want the Alconbury Tiger option. I might buy one of these if it's repopped sometime soon. 

Cheers

Tony

Post-script:

The European Revell releases come with just the Swiss markings, no Aggressor schemes.

I think we're better off going the Storm Factory/Zimi route for a pointy nose F-5E as it has both noses in the kit. I recall there was something about the leading edge extensions needing trimming back and the 'pit tub being a little shallow, but all doable.

But we do need the Bort numbers (and crew names) in decal form still, like these Navy ones:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=462

Tony 

I have the KH F-5E Kit that I'm planning on doing. 

I wouldn't have thought the bort numbers would be too hard to do - but I may be being optimistic.