A-20G HAVOC Sharkmouth in New Guinea

Hi,

When I bought this book by Squadron years ago, I really liked the A-20 Havoc on the cover and planned to do it one day.

Nowadays, the new HKM kit is flirting with me. However, despite my research, I could not find another picture of this Havoc. Therefore, the sqd code letter on the Rudder and the serial on the tail are unknown. There isn't even any clue.
In my research, I saw that this A-20 belonged to the 90th BS of the 3rd BG in New Guinea, or it most likely belonged to it. But even this is insufficient for the missing details.
I can somehow make Shark mouth with a mask, but the code number issue is a mystery. It seems like an option to drive rivet counters crazy by using tail codes as J, P or X.
I would like to know your opinions on this subject

Thanks in advance

IMG-6900.jpg

3138820-a8afc5842e99a80fe12f7e38bcbc6420

Right, the description of the cover image states 3rd bomb group, 90th bomber squadron. I'd try searching for the 3rd bomb group, and see where that leads you.

I always fancied doing that one as well, but in 1:48 scale.

15 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Right, the description of the cover image states 3rd bomb group, 90th bomber squadron. I'd try searching for the 3rd bomb group, and see where that leads you.

I always fancied doing that one as well, but in 1:48 scale.

Thanks Kevin

Some others options in the 90th BS, 3rd BG. Nearly all displayed a sharkmouth.
I had the opportunity to exchange a few messages with author Lawrence J Hickey, back in the 90s, but unfortunately, vol.2 of his 3rd BG study isn't yet published... https://irandpcorp.com/products/3bg1/

I have saved about 20 pics of 90thBS A-20 but don't know if some decals have been released in 1/32...

PM me if needed.

Another source of info would be Pacific Profiles #3, but I don't have it...

https://www.hyperscale.com/2022/reviews/books/pacificprofilesvol3bookreviewdc_1.htm

Edited by GeeBee

12 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

better resolution

A-20G_Barry_s_Baby_of_the_90th_BS_3rd_BG

From author Lawrence Hickey, back in 2008, answering to my questions about that A-20 : <I do have info on "Barry's Baby," which was one of two marked with nose art relating to the INS (International News Service) personnel who visited the 90th SQ, probably sometime in early 1944.(...) The shark's mouth was not a marking on a particular A-20, it was on all the 90th SQ A-20s until about the late-spring of 1944.>

10 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Some others options in the 90th BS, 3rd BG. Nearly all displayed a sharkmouth.
I had the opportunity to exchange a few messages with author Lawrence J Hickey, back in the 90s, but unfortunately, vol.2 of his 3rd BG study isn't yet published... https://irandpcorp.com/products/3bg1/

I have saved about 20 pics of 90thBS A-20 but don't know if some decals have been released in 1/32...

PM me if needed.

Another source of info would be Pacific Profiles #3, but I don't have it...

https://www.hyperscale.com/2022/reviews/books/pacificprofilesvol3bookreviewdc_1.htm

9 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Kevin reviewed the book below here, might have some useful information included.

2453-2.jpg

8 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Might not be the same aeroplane, but... :)

A-20G-20-DO "Barry's Baby" , # 42-86768

a20-barrys-baby.jpg

3283884476_f5f0c03363_h.jpg

8 hours ago, GeeBee said:

From author Lawrence Hickey, back in 2008, answering to my questions about that A-20 : <I do have info on "Barry's Baby," which was one of two marked with nose art relating to the INS (International News Service) personnel who visited the 90th SQ, probably sometime in early 1944.(...) The shark's mouth was not a marking on a particular A-20, it was on all the 90th SQ A-20s until about the late-spring of 1944.>

8 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Nothing specific to the aircraft in question, but cool anyway.

90th Attack Squadron

Thanks for your replies.

I realize I won't be able to find enough information about this specific A20. But it looks like I'll eventually build it somehow. I think I can use the "P" code on the tail, slightly change the serial number in the details Martin gave, and be done. Just don't blame me when I do this.:innocent: