Ki-61-I Hien “飛燕” in the Papua New Guinea (Hasegawa 1/32)

Hello everyone.

This is my last finished 1/32 Hasegawa, Ki-61-I “飛燕 (Hien)”

I chose this model as I still wanted to explore metal cladding. Hien is a suitable aircraft for this purpose because it was shipped from the factory in bare metal and then various camouflages were applied by units. I used the usual kitchen aluminum foil and water-soluble glue for the metal cladding.

The hand-painted random camouflage applied to Hien is another attractive point for modelers. So, I hand-painted a crooked camouflage pattern on the fuselage and wings with an airbrush like a mechanic of the time. It was the most enjoyable thing in this build.  One of the advantages of metal cladding is that you can redo the camouflage paint as many times as you like.

Unlike other Japanese airplanes, Hien was equipped with a liquid-cooled DB601 engine produced under license. However, it suffered from low reliability and low mission-capable rates due to insufficient craft quality and frontline supply, and the inexperience of mechanics on liquid-cooled engines. However, as long as it was up and running, it performed as well or better than its elder brother Bf109E.

I adopted a paint scheme inspired by the 68th squadron that fought in Papua New Guinea. The squadron was one of the first to receive the newly developed Hien. Papua New Guinea was far from its homeland and probably one of the harshest battlefields in WW2. Many died not only from battle but also from starvation and disease as supply lines were destroyed. It is said during the war: “Java is paradise, Burma is hell, and you can't return home from New Guinea even if you die”. Actually, most of the members of the 68th squadron, as well as many other soldiers, are still lying there.

It’s basically OOB build. I just used metal gum barrels and pitot tube. The squadron marking is a combination of hand-painting and some extra decals. I also slightly modified Hasegawa’s lovely kit figure to one that resembles tropical pilot uniforms. (One more thing, I would like you to assume that my model is a reproduction of an aircraft whose tailwheel was lost in an accident on the battlefield. The tailwheel is still lying somewhere in my room.)

I hope you all enjoy the model. Sorry for my plastic cup as usual!

AP1GczP-AsrOIjXjvCj6BUfo6KyKeaSBz9-bK8Ln

AP1GczOO1NU-250z-DXjVmipgibEy5QJW9YYXBKq

AP1GczP_PWEb_vusch-PEMFvut-3lErJi9Fr-qei

AP1GczPdKO4FNJ5RikjwYuf6JEAWI9uRJUt_QfvM

AP1GczOtsQNdgeh-WFTDq9DOrBwgc_3jyrfyCFM-

AP1GczPwNhZwj_Ww-WGnuqgX1Bf-F1GxHA3V068T

AP1GczN9y5wRGZLk5aZnLAToo8UZtv1aE5Xp8KY1

AP1GczPFCLGGshEBcoDdZAX6GdclF6mIshrKUpaS

AP1GczNkDNpZDeF-SFwykiakIYxpxKJk4pq5JLNg

AP1GczN8rp1TcJSGgUbUhgidoqGfWaYpYywlhyZS

AP1GczMlpR3jZexxDc6VmIWwH0kJSegmixtHqHjg

AP1GczPw--5n__5xWvW7tinBCHIsyaA-UPPXiLkN

AP1GczMAi-dUHPWA4nDKTha_o6yp8HygFIShzEd8

AP1GczOYeDZM57a64wJttGFKOCpJpzngAEZISUxg

• 2 weeks later...

Its quite a pretty plane really. Kinda looks like a lovechild of a Spitfire and a Mig 3.  Well, sort of anyway

I honestly didn't think that kitchen al foil would be so durable that you could swap out camos that easily. 

Cool looking camo I might add

On 3/16/2024 at 1:48 AM, Martinnfb said:

Worn metallic finish looks great ! 

On 3/30/2024 at 2:41 AM, skiner said:

Wow, Pretty paint… Very Nice 

On 4/3/2024 at 7:32 PM, The Madhatter said:

Its quite a pretty plane really. Kinda looks like a lovechild of a Spitfire and a Mig 3.  Well, sort of anyway

I honestly didn't think that kitchen al foil would be so durable that you could swap out camos that easily. 

Cool looking camo I might add

Thank you, everyone, for the comments!!