Parts Help

I've been away from modeling for a bit, but have wanted to get back into it. I've already got a number of models lined up for when I have time, all in 1/32:

Tamiya F4U-1A, currently planned to be completed as Vargas Cowgirl (VMF-422). Though if anyone can recommend other "Girl Art" 1As I'm not necessarily fixated on it.

Trumpeter F4F-3 (Late) to be completed as Wilmer Rawie of VF-6 (considering putting it with a couple smaller-scale A5Ms in a forced perspective diorama of the USN's first kills).

Z-M P-51D to be completed as Enchantress.

I also have a decal sheet for P-51B Jeannie III, and this is where I'm needing help:

I'm trying to decide on what kit to use for the build. There's not a lot of options for P-51Bs in that scale, and all of them have issues major and minor that would need to be addressed for accuracy. Z-M announced they were working on a P-51B a few years ago, but I've seen no information or updates about it since about 2020, which is a shame since from the research I'd done when selecting kits it seems their Mustang IV kit is one of the gold standards for completeness and accuracy. I understand Jerry Rutman's P-51B was considered the best and most accurate of that type produced, but good luck finding one (I periodically check in on eBay with nothing to show for it). Likewise, Rutman's replacement parts for the Trumpeter kit are likely not going to be possible to find (though if anyone has either lying around they don't expect to build I'd certainly be interested in taking it off their hands...)

My next thought was to try 3D printing, but after a bit of searching I'm not having any luck finding anything — either a full kit or replacement parts — that's ready to print.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

As an aside, I'm also interesting in doing a P-51A, but there seems to be even LESS out there for that mark, especially in terms of decals. I'd prefer a PTO machine, but would really be looking for anything historical with "pinup" nose art.

Welcome!

:post1:

We have quite a few Mustang aficionados around here. Although I love the P-51, I myself am no expert......

Jerry Rutman made a lovely B model, but it's been OOP for many years and is nearly impossible to find these days.

Trumpeters B model looks like a B from a distance, but has many egregious mistakes on it the worst of which is the wing IMHO.

The old Revell kit is just looooooong, long in the tooth these days and is not really comparable to any modern kits, and would need a ton of work to be even remotely accurate in detail.

I know none of that helps much, but there are a couple companies out there that have been rumored to be bringing a modern new tool B Mustang out.....just not sure who or when unfortunately.

Hopefully someone more in the know that I may be a long with better advice.

43 minutes ago, Ambaryerno said:

I understand Jerry Rutman's P-51B was considered the best and most accurate of that type produced, but good luck finding one (I periodically check in on eBay with nothing to show for it).

Funny you should say that - one just sold on eBay yesterday.

Just now, LSP_Ray said:

$212!!! Damn, tempts me to throw mine on eBay!

Well, that was a fluke. It has been consistently selling for 150 to 185, with 212 being the all-time high I've seen, and I was a big part of the reason it got that high.

I decided to send an email to Z-M to find out what's going on with their purported P-51B. No response yet, but if I hear anything I'll pass it along.

In the meantime, does anyone know of any decent 3D print options as an alternative, either as whole kits or replacement/accurizing parts?

Laminar Flow has a conversion in the works for the new Revell kit. Wilde Sau has a whole resin kit: (He is a member here - 109ace)

and a partial upgrade for the old Revell kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235392253199?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=xEbSetlbSxm&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=z-Ocm8WYT8O&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I have not seen them up close, so I can't attest to their quality, though I'm not a fan of that yellow resin. They look darn good in the pictures, though.

Tim

39 minutes ago, Ambaryerno said:

Hm, the full kit link is broke and isn't coming up in a search of his storefront.

Maybe try shooting him a PM here (109ace) - he last visited the forum on Feb 17, so he must still be around.