Spitfire Pipework Question...

Hello All,

Got a question regarding some pipework on the Instrument Panel Bulkhead on my ML407;

p?i=47b13ce778c836e90d2624f973217074

Can anyone tell me where these pipes go from and too or what they are?

Many thanks

Steve

One line is from the engine driven compressor to the two air tanks on the port wall

I think, two lines are from the brake pressure gauge to the brakes, via a load of other junction boxes (see caveat below)

One is for auto-cocking(?) the guns (if that is the right term)

I think the auto-cocking is for cannons only, which is why there are only three air lines on the early marks.

Also, please note the "I think" in this post. It is a while since I researched the pneumatic system on the Spitfire. It is possible that one of the lines I said was from the brake pressure gauge is actually from the flap lever. I will dig some more later.

Mk-I-Spitfire-2.jpgSpitfire Mk I II and Vb have 5 pneumatic airlines running down frame 8 on the port side [as per original post question] . Aircraft with C wings initially had 5 lines, but reverted to 4 when they lost their landing lights. I have never seen a Spitfire with just three lines on frame 8.

Edited by 19squadron
addition of pic

13 hours ago, 19squadron said:

I have never seen a Spitfire with just three lines on frame 8.

You may well be correct, I have looked at schematics for so long, that I have confused myself!

One minor point, I believe the yellow labels are possibly swapped between browning lines and brake pneumatic lines. The thick pipes on the control stick are gun lines.

I also agree that there were five lines on frame 8, my focus was on the ones coming through the hole from behind the instrument panel. If the landing lights were removed, that takes away two lines, leaving three. 

Edited by DonH
Total lack of useful knowledge

OK, back to the photograph posted by Crossofiron. This is a MkIX with four pipes running down frame 8.

My comments are:

1) I was totally wrong about auto-cocking. The pipes for those were on the floor and none of them ran up frame 8 (I believe)

2) I was totally wrong about the Heywood compressor - I am pretty sure the line from this stayed low and went over or through Frame 8 at floor level

3) Two pipes are definitely from the brake pressure gauge. 

4) I simply don't know about the other two. They could be two from the flap lever or one from the flap lever and another from the brake pressure gauge. However, I have a MkI drawing that clearly shows one of the brake gauge pipes running down the back of frame 8. Maybe this was moved for some reason on later marks? On early marks, I expect the three lines were one flaps and two brakes. I can't figure out why this changed later on.

Anyhoo, here is the schematic, hopefully someone will know for sure, cos I don't.. (image posted for research purposes, I will delete it if this offends copyright,etc.)

6RWrTxE.jpg

9 hours ago, DonH said:

You may well be correct, I have looked at schematics for so long, that I have confused myself!

One minor point, I believe the yellow labels are possibly swapped between browning lines and brake pneumatic lines. The thick pipes on the control stick are gun lines.

I also agree that there were five lines on frame 8, my focus was on the ones coming through the hole from behind the instrument panel. If the landing lights were removed, that takes away two lines, leaving three. 

The brake line is behind the control stick, actuated by the long brake actuator in the middle of the stick  hand hold, so that is my mistake, it's a single line that goes to a 5 way connector and a relay valve. The two lines on the front of the stick are one guns, and the second is camera [if fitted] but always plumbed. On frame 8 as marked.