1/32scale Hobby Boss IL-2M3 decals

CRAZY IVAN5

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

Now a nicely-moulded and accurate La-7 in 1/32nd scale IM plastic, I would pay real money for that. I don't think even most modellers realise what a good and good-looking fighter the La-7 was.

Regards,

Jason (and I want the La-5FN, and the LaGG-3 also!)

Frankly I'm surprised[though I shouldn't be] that someone the likes of ICM for example hasn't given  love to the Lavochkin  types. They were major players in the "Great Patriotic War"[ which is a very appropriate title]. 

8 minutes ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Frankly I'm surprised[though I shouldn't be] that someone the likes of ICM for example hasn't given  love to the Lavochkin  types. They were major players in the "Great Patriotic War"[ which is a very appropriate title]. 

You're correct! I realise that ICM don't really venture into big, multi-engine types for their 1/32nd scale kits (although I'd dearly love to see them 'scale-up' their B-26K to 1/32nd scale!). However, the Lavochkin fighters, like the Yak fighters, were fairly small single-engined GPW fighters. These would be right in ICM's wheelhouse, as they say.

Regards,

Jason

A quick question, I know the M3s had wooden outer wing panels at first then the later ones were metal. I know the aft fueslages were wood along with the vert.fin , were the Horizontals also wood ?  Can't get a definitive on that or I'm missing it[ most probably it's me after all]. I 've been using the Massimo Tessitori altervista site.

1 hour ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

A quick question, I know the M3s had wooden outer wing panels at first then the later ones were metal. I know the aft fueslages were wood along with the vert.fin , were the Horizontals also wood ?  Can't get a definitive on that or I'm missing it[ most probably it's me after all]. I 've been using the Massimo Tessitori altervista site.

Most of the early arrows (A/K/A 'Il-2M3) had wooden-covered outer wings, except those from z.18 (the factory which was the headquarters of the Ilyushin OKB), which apparently always built its Il-2s with metal wings as Sergey Ilyushin hated the wooden wings (heavier, easier to damage, and harder to repair). The fixed horizonal stablisers were always metal. Always, whatever Il-2 version. The elevators, like the rudders, and the ailerons (after the early metal-winged single-seaters, which had all-metal ailerons) were of metal structure covered by fabric. And Massimo's site is definitely the place for information overall about the Il-2 (something which I mentioned in an e-mail to him just today). Warning: Shameless Self-Promotion - Other than my book, of course.

Best Regards,

Jason

54 minutes ago, Phantom2 said:

ICM have done the Yak 9T and the Yak 9K in 1/32nd scale.

I wouldn´t be suprised if we get a La-5/7 family from them some day.

Stefan :beer:

It would certainly make sense, but as I'm sure you're aware, not everything in the modelling world makes sense. Still, I'd be first in line for some nice Lavochkins in 1/32nd scale.

Regards,

Jason

13 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

A two part feature in AIR21 & AIR22

I remember when this article came out. An amazing job! I'd love to see someone do this with one of the HB Il-2s. No, it won't be me. I do not have the skills for such an undertaking.

Regards,

Jason

On 1/10/2024 at 3:58 PM, dmthamade said:

Built this kit a while back, really enjoyable build. Used Montex masks, which also included decals for the numbers. Decals conformed nicely, masks were straightforward to use. At the time there were plenty of schemes to choose, don't know about now. Some build sore spots, review the builds here, well covered. When i did mine, i broke off and lost the tadpole on the top of the tail. I would recommend cutting it off early and add it at the end. Have fun!!

Don

That tadpole, the external rudder balance, in my experience is inevitably knocked off during assembly. You are very correct about just cutting it off - that way you can keep it in a safe place until the end of assembly. It's funny, as I have the real item, and you'd need a nine-pound sledgehammer to knock it off the metal rudder structure, and I'm not sure even then you could do it. It's all very solidly built.

Regards,

Jason

10 minutes ago, Learstang said:

That tadpole, the external rudder balance, in my experience is inevitably knocked off during assembly. You are very correct about just cutting it off - that way you can keep it in a safe place until the end of assembly. It's funny, as I have the real item, and you'd need a nine-pound sledgehammer to knock it off the metal rudder structure, and I'm not sure even then you could do it. It's all very solidly built.

Regards,

Jason

That was my experience when building the Tamiya Il-2 , luckily I found it . This time around it'll be a "controlled separation". That's what I use a nine pound sledge hammer when dealing with ill fitting resin parts:punk:!

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

Regards,

Jason

This one. You posted this in my build, also gave me lots of great advice. Thanks again!!!

CIMG0156_zpscdsmhmze.jpg

Edited by dmthamade

16 minutes ago, dmthamade said:

This one. You posted this in my build, also gave me lots of great advice. Thanks again!!!

CIMG0156_zpscdsmhmze.jpg

That sir, is the very one! As you can tell from the rusting, it's all made of steel, rivetted to the aluminium rudder structure. Two large rivets hold the 'pickle' to the steel rod. All very sturdy, as you might expect from the Il-2. And you're welcome - I'm very glad I was able to give you some advice in your build! Nice to see that again; I haven't seen that bit in a while - it's presently in a storeroom, along with a nearly priceless top of a wooden fin from an Il-2, complete with a part of a red star and the rest of the painting intact.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Minor changes.