M1A2 SEP v3 - Australia’s new Abrams (1/16)

GMK

• 2 weeks later...

Not much progress lately due to a bereavement in the family. Just messing with small, simple parts to keep things moving. 

29 February 2024 was the handover of the first M1A2 SEP v3 to the Australian Army. I’m hoping that this’ll shake loose some images. 

On the v3, the rearmost skirt, sometimes referred to as #7, can be hinged forward 180 degrees & latched to the #6 skirt. 

When folded, this’ll be the inside part. Note the added dust/weather strip on the top. 

Eo840ZD.jpeg
This’ll be the visible bit.

rIrezbh.jpeg

The Tamiya upper hull is molded with the skirts attached, so the #7 on both sides were removed. 

Here’s a comparison between the kit components & the folded replacements. 

3ZjPGZW.jpeg

Time to do the weather strips along the top of the skirts. 

Thanks for looking in. 

That would be typical army, wouldn't it? Just show the offending part dented so the 'fridge door clears it!

Seriously, looks like a simple CAD change will fix that; assembly looks good!

18 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

That would be typical army, wouldn't it? Just show the offending part dented so the 'fridge door clears it!

Seriously, looks like a simple CAD change will fix that; assembly looks good!

Thanks, Ray. I’m pretty sure of the dimensions for the 1:1 fridge. I’m just hoping that the SEP v3-specific fitting on the bustle is scaled or located incorrectly, otherwise Army is in for an unpleasant surprise!

One thing that has been a bit trickier than anticipated is the angle below the bustle where the bustle rack interfaces. Due to mold release considerations, the overall angles on the kit part aren’t perpendicular where you’d expect them to be. 

To resolve the integration piece, I’ve moved up the component tree one level. This part won’t be used on the build itself. 

oAdaU5Y.jpeg

You can see below how the kit bustle rack interfaces with the bustle along the top, horizontal surface, a vertical notch, & into the angled underside. 

3299rXC.jpeg

As can be seen here with the kit bustle rack - this side omitting some parts - the angle I’ve calculated for the lower bustle is incorrect, causing a forward cant. 

iW7x58t.jpeg

Here’s the other side - excuse the print support remnants, I was in a bit of a rush - you may be able to see that the incorrect angle imposes fit issues & associated strain on the bustle rack uprights. 

WEI4og6.jpeg

Need a way to nail down that angle that’s better than trial & error!

Thanks for looking in. 

• 1 month later...

Work travel interrupts progress? But sometimes gives opportunities to collect references in the field. 

Here’s some reference pics I took while crawling in & on a SEP v3. The crew were super helpful, with the only caveat that no pictures were permitted inside the tank. 

QLqTsmI.jpeg

mWv7lkA.jpeg

Ore7DBC.jpeg

uADjdff.jpeg

c2Xk7B1.jpeg

Being front line equipment & at an open day, I wasn’t going to break out the tape measure or take eleventy million pics, but got some helpful pics on this, and another SEP v2 at the Armor & Cavalry Collection open weekend. 

Thanks for looking in.