Border 1/35 Akagi Flight Deck and Kate Torpedo Bomber Preview

Scotsman

1 hour ago, quang said:

I waited and waited in vain for Domino. In the end I decided to try my chances at the Far Eastern equivalent of Amazon ;). I got it in 12 days.

I preordered the big pack including the Akaki deck part from the mentioned seller here. Some days ago I ordered the kit box including only the Kate also via eBay, but directly from China for a great price (just couldn’t resist). If the shipping notifications I receive represent the actual state of delivery, I‘ll also get this one sooner … 

3 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Nope. I did check their website and it still only shows pre-order status.

That's kind of strange, they've been on sale in China since the early part of December[when I ordered mine]. It took about three weeks for it to get to me. They said I'd have it by Christmas but it was 4 days late . I 'm finding hard to believe that North America and Europe don't have them yet. Wonder what the hold up is?

12 minutes ago, Borsos said:

Actually my solo kit from china has arrived, but not my Kate-Akagi combo kit ordered from here.

however, I can just support all the phrasing: it’s a fantastic kit!

Glad to hear that you finally got it! If you're planning to fold the wings [I am], there's 2 holes that need to be opened on each of the fuselage halves just aft of where the pilot sits and 1 hole on the  upper outer wing panels [both sides] these are for the "V" struts to fit into . None of this is called out in the instructions[pretty weird]. Also I'm not sure what they want with the instrument panel decal . Do they want us to put it on the back after we install the clear instrument faces so the gage faces show through or just put it over them ? I'm thinking the former. Check it out and tell me what ya think. Again the instructions don't say.

13 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Also I'm not sure what they want with the instrument panel decal . Do they want us to put it on the back after we install the clear instrument faces so the gage faces show through or just put it over them ? I'm thinking the former. Check it out and tell me what ya think. Again the instructions don't say.

Thank you, I am also really happy. I also think the former. I‘d put the decal on D1 and paint I-9 leaving the instruments clear. As this part is quite thin, this should look quite well.

xevo2t7f.jpg

13 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Glad to hear that you finally got it! If you're planning to fold the wings [I am], there's 2 holes that need to be opened on each of the fuselage halves just aft of where the pilot sits and 1 hole on the  upper outer wing panels [both sides] these are for the "V" struts to fit into . None of this is called out in the instructions[pretty weird]. 

Thanks a lot for the hint. I intend to set one Kate onto the Akagi deck and build the other one in-flight dropping a torpedo (maybe in the direction of a 1/700 or smaller Yorktown. I love the paintings in Ospreys „Midway“ book). Generally I hope to answer all the questions that occur during the build with these books:

7ihpo4fs.jpgWhen I built the Hasegawa 48 Kate done 10 years ago, I only had the left book and I can’t remember a question that I couldn’t answer with it.

Edited by Borsos
Typo

34 minutes ago, Borsos said:

Thank you, I am also really happy. I also think the former. I‘d put the decal on D1 and paint I-9 leaving the instruments clear. As this part is quite thin, this should look quite well.

xevo2t7f.jpg

Thanks a lot for the hint. I intend to set one Kate onto the Akagi deck and build the other one in-flight dropping a torpedo (maybe in the direction of a 1/700 or smaller Yorktown. I love the paintings in Ospreys „Midway“ book). Generally I hope to answer all the questions that occur during the build with these books:

7ihpo4fs.jpgWhen I built the Hasegawa 48 Kate done 10 years ago, I only had the left book and I can’t remember a question that I couldn’t answer with it.

I don't have the book on the left but I do have the Kagero #79 and it's about the best that I could find on the "Kate". Info is a little thin on the ground for these unfortunately. I'll be doing mine as a Kaga torpedo" Kate" [ with the brown tail ].

36 minutes ago, Borsos said:

I intend to set one Kate onto the Akagi deck and build the other one in-flight dropping a torpedo (maybe in the direction of a 1/700 or smaller Yorktown.

Looking forward to seeing the double contra-rotating propellers of Type 91 torpedo IN ACTION, no less! :coolio:

30 minutes ago, quang said:

Looking forward to seeing the double contra-rotating propellers of Type 91 torpedo IN ACTION, no less! :coolio:

Of course, no problem… but… if … the torpedo has already hit the water and is barely visible through all the spray … :D