Cleaning up old 3D print model...

LSP_Ray

I have an old 3D printed model, a 1/35th Hotchkiss H-39, from about 20 years or more ago. I pulled it out the other day and noticed parts had what looked like some crystalization on one side and a gummy residue on the other side. 

Any ideas on how I can clean this up? Or am I destined to throwing this one in the trash bin? It was a spendy kit at the time, and includes an interior with many tiny fragile parts.

Do you have photos.  I would be very concerned that the gummy side is uncured resin, as it can leak if it is not cured properly.  I would suggest putting it in the sun for a while and see if it can set.  That said, without seeing it, I cannot for sure say that is the issue.  The crystallization is hard to say without seeing it. 

Hi Ray,

This looks like the resin Shapeways used for years. To remove the crystals/dust, simply use a soft glass pen (largely opened). For the gummy side, I'm agreeing with prior comments. I would first try a UV lamp for some hours and then pure alcohol.

Good luck.

Thierry 

It looks to me like both issues are symptoms of inadequate or improper cleaning. In modern resin 3D printing, it’s common to have white blotches where excess resin wasn’t fully cleaned off the model prior to curing (or the cleaning solution itself was dirty). The sticky residue has a similar cause, and additional cleaning and curing usually takes care of it.

Worth trying, anyway!

Kev