1/16 Tamiya RC Centurion converted to Israeli Shot Kal Gimmel or Shot Kal Dalet

ironman1945

Hey all

Having just completed re-finishing the Tamiya JS2, Im in to the Centurion. Converting it with the help of a conversion set from Armoured Models out of the UK.

The conversion set will still require modification as it was designed for the Haya 1/16 Centurion.

Capture

I've started assembling the hull. Here is where the first modification takes place. Armoured Models gives you the new rear extension, which was needed for the replacement of the Meteor engine with the Continental diesal and Allison Transmission. You can see the grey 3D printed section below, alongside the sheet styrene part I've manufactured. While I didnt use the 3D printed part, I will likely lift some of of the details off of it for my scratch built secton.

20231028_202711

Here's the new section temporarily taped on to the hull.

20231028_202545

Really enjoy these Tamiya RC kits. Nice to fiddle with the electronics and drive them over the front lawn when they are finished. 

Looking forward to a day of building tomorrow while watching NFL games.   Normally a Saints fan, but cheering for the Lions too!  And was lucky to be able to attend a Bills game 4 weeks ago. A blast being with Bills Mafia, great experience to share with my son!

20231001_160321 20231001_120553

Have put some time into, and am currently putting more time into, a 1/25 Tamiya Centurion conversion.

Before:

DSCN4669.jpg

DSCN4670.jpg

DSCN4672.jpg

DSCN4674.jpg

DSCN4678.jpg

DSCN4680.jpg

Now:

DSCN7349.JPG

DSCN7346.JPG

DSCN7347.JPG

DSCN7345.JPG

DSCN7348.JPG

DSCN7350.JPG

I've been to Latrun, Israel's Armor Museum, a couple of times and have photos of the Gimel/Dalet.  If you're interested in the photos I can burn you a CD and send it to you.  All I need is your address.  If not, this is another source I'm using.

Centurions of the IDF Vol 3 ShotKal Gimel

https://www.sabingamartin.com/books/simbk_17.html

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark, I found them on FB. I believe they only have a FB page.   https://www.facebook.com/p/Armoured-Models-100057730896823/

Thats a great conversion of the 1/25 kit! I actually have that kit and was going to do the same thing, but then the 1/18 kit came out, and my mind went "bigger is better".

Very kind offer to burn me a CD with photos, yes I would love that. Will PM you my address.

I've also been using the AFV club Shot Kal Dalet kit for ref.

Cheers!

Dave/Ironman1945

• 1 month later...

Been busy last few months with work and the lead up to the holidays. But have put some time in on this build over the last few weeks.

Built new storage bins for each side.

20231227_220132

Here they are test fit to the fenders

20231227_220221

Except for the spare track holders, new rear bulkhead extension for the Continental engine is pretty much complete.

20231227_215846

20231227_215840

The Armored Models conversion set included a lower portion of this bulkhead but it seemed easier to me to build a whole new unit rather than adapt the 3D printed part.

Here's how it all looks tied together with the Armored Models conversion engine deck.

20231227_220441

20231227_220326

Thats all for now. Hope everyone had a great Christmas. 

NFL is really heating up. Go Bills! 

Cheers!

Dave/Ironman1945

Edited by ironman1945

DSCN4671.jpg

Dave, Good show. This is the configuration for the rear panels.  The outer 2 are flush-mounted, the inner, as you've shown, is directed applied.

45930020.JPG

Barely seen in this photo, apologies, you can see the panels are flush mounted.  The center panel is as you've shown.

Sincerely,

Mark