Eight Hawker Hurricane unearthed …

I remember reading somewhere (please trust me!) that the RN just pushed their Corsairs off the end of their carriers at the end of the war, for the same reason as the Soviets.

In 1945, no one was thinking of future collectors, the same way we scrap today’s stuff without a second thought!

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois
Typo

On 7/2/2023 at 11:13 AM, D Bellis said:

It wasn't just the Soviets - Brits, French, Chinese and everyone else that was the recipient of American Lend-Lease equipment scrapped it after the war to avoid paying for it, or having to pay to ship it back. 

HTH, 

It bears pointing out that the US military also saw fit to scrap an enormous mount of military hardware that had been shipped overseas rather than deal with the headaches of shipping it back to the States. 

2 hours ago, coogrfan said:

It bears pointing out that the US military also saw fit to scrap an enormous mount of military hardware that had been shipped overseas rather than deal with the headaches of shipping it back to the States. 

I’m certain many have seen the photo of the piles of discarded P-38s somewhere in the Pacific.

Alain

Although it was enemy aircraft, I think of all the scrapheaps and piles of late-war German aircraft that were scrapped at the end of the war and soon after. Inevitable and necessary, but I look at those beautiful aircraft and I do find myself thinking 'Maybe you could have just set aside a few...'. In regard to the Soviets, not only did they dispose of the unwanted Lend-Lease aircraft, but they went about, by order of Stalin, and disposed of all aircraft that were considered obsolete. For example, by the early 1950s, not a single preserved Il-2 remained in all of the Soviet Union. Getting back to these Hurricanes, it doesn't sound like there's that much left. We know the fuselages are just going to be frames at best, but perhaps some of the wings survived in decent condition. At any rate, at least no one is getting their hopes up too much, as with the infamous Burmese Spitfires. Remember them?

Regards,

Jason

Great image Mike.

Is it possible the blokes who maintained and flew Corsairs were very happy to be shot of them - no more long night shifts in the hangar, no more deck landings, no more ditchings? Job done, they were going home.

On 7/4/2023 at 7:53 PM, Christa said:

Great image Mike.

Is it possible the blokes who maintained and flew Corsairs were very happy to be shot of them - no more long night shifts in the hangar, no more deck landings, no more ditchings? Job done, they were going home.

True, but also back to the Seafire for awhile.